Brocade VDX 6740 questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

obsidian

Jan 10, 2023
I'm considering purchasing a Brocade VDX 6740. I'm currently using an ICX 6610 but need more 40gb ports.

Have a few questions. Compared to the ICX 6610, is this switch as loud, louder or not as loud as the days 6610.

I currently use 18 1gb ports (mainly management network and a few runs from other parts of the house). 13 10gb ports, and both 40gb ports. With the use of 1gb SFP modules, this will satisfy all my requirements but one, PoE, though can use power inverter for those or find a second small managed poe switch.

Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? I'm not sure what version of the OS is loaded or what license is included. I saw where one could PM @fohdeesha for license/os, is this still the case? Thanks in advance.

(Switch comes with 24 1gb SFPs so the cost of those are a concern).

I'd rather have something like the BR-VDX6940-36Q-AC-F that has 36x 40g ports but really trying not to have 2 bigger switches. I'd still need a managed switch for 1gb (still need to be able to configure per port vlan). Isn't there a different VDX that has 48xSFP+ 10gb and at least 6xQSFP+ 40gb ports?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I have a 6740T and the noise is similar to the 6610P, which I also have.

The VDX is more finicky about transceivers/DACs. I have a Mellanox IB AOC that works on the 6610 but not the VDX but it's possible that is an exception. I use it in the lab on rare occasions because it idles at ~190W with nothing plugged in except the console port. The fiber versions of the 6740 probably won't have such high power requirements. Indeed, the datasheet shows 140W typical for the fiber version and 420W-470W (< 30m vs >30 m cables) for the copper version. But "typical" is all base ports passing traffic 100% while the QSFP+ ports are passing 25%.

If I need more 40G ports I'd get a Mellanox SX6036 instead. The problem with full-width and 100G half-width Mellanox switches is they are deeper than typical switches and it's better to get the short-depth models (SX6036x-nBxx; 17").

BTW, @fohdeesha is not a fan of the VDX line, which he discussed here.

And holy cow the 6740T is now so much more expensive than the non-T on eBay. That's just crazy.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
> I'd rather have something like the BR-VDX6940-36Q-AC-F

Interesting tidbit about the 6940. They only support static breakout of QSFP+ ports. A reboot of the switch is required when it is converted to 10G breakouts, and I presume also the reverse.

obsidian

Jan 10, 2023
If I need more 40G ports I'd get a Mellanox SX6036 instead. The problem with full-width and 100G half-width Mellanox switches is they are deeper than typical switches and it's better to get the short-depth models (SX6036x-nBxx; 17").
Do these switches support 40gb ethernet? I thought they were InfinfiBand only? Or am I thinking a different Mellanox?

Are these picky on optics/DACs used and do they support breaking out 40gb->4x10gb. Guess I should do some googling in the morning

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The 6036 supports ethernet. You need to look for the term VPI in its datasheet. The 60xx family contains switches that aren't VPI capable therefore those only support Infiniband. All 60x5 are IB/unmanaged only.

These obsolete switches, running admittedly an old version of MLNX-OS, are quite accommodating on optics. They not only support 4x10G breakout but also 2x10G because I have some HPE dual 10GbaseT transceivers that work fine.

On the firmware side, the VDX is still supported.