EXPIRED Brocade ICX7250-48P ($105/ea OBO + Reasonable Shipping)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
No, that was with nothing connected except the console and one gigabit uplink. I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm doing with enterprise network gear, so I could have done something wrong while fumbling through the guide here. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to settle. I did wait until the fans spun down their lowest speed before checking power. Pleasant surprise if that's the case, I will have to check it again.
For whatever it's worth, this person's 7250-48P idles at 63W, so if your 6450 really idles at 100W, this is a capability AND efficiency improvement.

DO EET.

Reactions: Samir

aakashqq

Feb 21, 2024
I have the 7250-24P, i really don't need a second one but couldn't resist. Will be moving later this year and it's my mission to have solar (SDGE Southern Cali rate is $0.48 per kilawatt hour). It auto-accepted at 95.50 for me and was 120 with tax.
I am wondering how auto-accept work, it didnt accept my $95 nor it did for $100.

GhettoSuperstar

Mar 12, 2020
I am wondering how auto-accept work, it didnt accept my $95 nor it did for $100.
When you put in an offer, if the seller has an auto-accept amount tag to it and you meet that stipulation, you offer gets automatically accepted. You just have to put in the right amount. I tried $90 at first and was immediately denied. I remember someone earlier in the thread said auto-accepted didn't work at $95 any more, so I said why not 95.50. And it worked. The seller has to be the one who enables that setting and sometimes if they have too many orders, they will turn it off so that they can catch up.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
When you put in an offer, if the seller has an auto-accept amount tag to it and you meet that stipulation, you offer gets automatically accepted. You just have to put in the right amount. I tried $90 at first and was immediately denied. I remember someone earlier in the thread said auto-accepted didn't work at $95 any more, so I said why not 95.50. And it worked. The seller has to be the one who enables that setting and sometimes if they have too many orders, they will turn it off so that they can catch up.
I did get a $95 auto-accepted at ~11PM eastern time yesterday.

Reactions: gb00s and Samir

Finbester

Aug 28, 2022
For everyone who wants to shave a few watts off, by removing the PoE board you can drop from 63w to 56w in idle for the -48P. It's a 10 minute job, and the firmware will recognize it as a -48.

PSA: I won't take any responsibility if you damage your switch by doing this. I haven't used the swutch yet since I'm currently waiting for other parts in my homelab, so I can't speak for the long term effects.

Reactions: Beaflag VonRathburg

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
curious about these switches, I haven’t used a brocade switch since 2Gb fiber channel was a big deal, what makes this better than a Cisco say C3850-48U ?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
curious about these switches, I haven’t used a brocade switch since 2Gb fiber channel was a big deal, what makes this better than a Cisco say C3850-48U ?
off the top of my head id probably wager noise levels and power consumption. i'm not familiar with the model you mentioned. these ruckus switches have anywhere between 1 to 3 fans at most and no external PSUs that have fans so they're easier to mod. licensing is honor based so as a home user you can fully enable them. they also have native 10g ports without requiring any module cards. documentation and downloads are readily available which im not sure how that compares to cisco. ive read that the CLI is one of the most iOS-like. so it probably comes down to cost, noise, power, and some quality of life stuff as a second hand home user.

id say the main thing these switches lack are DCB protocols for stuff like RDMA/RoCE. every time i need to look up how to do something i gets tons of relevant and modern formatted search results direct from ruckus doc sites with nice descriptions and use case caveats which is nice.

frameshift18

Jan 9, 2019
This seller recently sent me an offer for $108. Not bad at all.
Received mine today. The moment I saw it only wrapped in bubblewrap I knew the ears were toast. Sure enough one ear was completely folded over. 20 minutes later on the bench vise I got it straightened out :D. Other than that the exterior looks prestine. Haven't powered it up yet.

Reactions: adman_c

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
Mine arrived and is in excellent condition. It was really well wrapped as well, so @frameshift18, you seem to have drawn the short straw on packaging.

For anyone wondering about power, mine idles at ~55W once the fans spin down from jet mode on the initial spin up. I also just purchased this as a backup so for now it'll lie in wait until it needs to be called to duty. :) I might replace the fans in the meantime as well as the stock ones have a pretty annoying whine to them even while the switch is idling. If anyone does or has done a fan mod, I'd be curious what you replace them with please.

Reactions: ano

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I used the RoachedCoach method described here. Pretty sure I used those Mechatronics fans as well, although I used a different 60mmx10mm fan for the ASIC. I also cut out the rear stamped grates and installed these to increase airflow and reduce noice from turbulence. Depending on how likely you are to reach around the back of the switch and jam your fingers into spinning fan blades, you could forgo the wire grills if you wanted, but I decided better safe than sorry. The overall result was a 2-4C increase in temperatures (but still way below the fan speed 2 cut off) and a substantially lower noise level. Worth the effort for me, given that my head is about 5 feet away from the switch when I'm working at my home office desk.

Last edited:

frameshift18

Jan 9, 2019
Mine arrived and is in excellent condition. It was really well wrapped as well, so @frameshift18, you seem to have drawn the short straw on packaging.

For anyone wondering about power, mine idles at ~55W once the fans spin down from jet mode on the initial spin up. I also just purchased this as a backup so for now it'll lie in wait until it needs to be called to duty. :) I might replace the fans in the meantime as well as the stock ones have a pretty annoying whine to them even while the switch is idling. If anyone does or has done a fan mod, I'd be curious what you replace them with please.
Also noticed the fans have a slight whine to them. Never noticed it on my other 7250-48P though.

I used the RoachedCoach method described here.
Oh nice! Didn't notice there was a fan mod for the 7250! I'm going to try this.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Also noticed the fans have a slight whine to them. Never noticed it on my other 7250-48P though.

Oh nice! Didn't notice there was a fan mod for the 7250! I'm going to try this.
FYI, I would describe my switch with the mod as "quiet but noticeable if you're in the same small room" and not necessarily "next-to-dead silent," but to be fair I am pretty sensitive to noise as I sit fairly close to the switch 8+ hours every work day. And in any case it is a very substantial improvement. With the thermal headroom I have, I would even consider some quieter, slower fans,* but taking my whole network down for what would now be a marginal improvement is a pretty big lift.

* With slower fans you also have to be aware that the switch might be mad if they don't spin sufficiently fast. I don't think it'll refuse to start; it'll just mark the fans as failed I believe.

Last edited:

R3Z3N

Jan 29, 2024
Got mine a few days ago, switch looks to be in pristine condition, however 8 ports have a HW POE fault. (Oh no, ONLY 40 POE NOW!) Tried reflashing the POE firmware after upgrading to SPR09010j_cd1ufi but no luck. Oh well, I only need 8 POE ports but now consolidates my network to 1 switch for now till I go 25/100Gbps. The 7250 will be great for all my regular drops. As it's my first foray into L3, let alone much CLI stuff I am a bit leery. Looking at docs, V9 of Fastiron OS, vlans and vlan routing is done quite a bit differently, so beware following any old guides.

Now just confused if I use PFSense for Firewall/Router, do I still use L3 routing on switch to get wirespeeds? I know pretty generic but in process of documenting my desired network map for the new house I am in, hence the upgrade now that I have room for 2 main drops (Garage for shit its loud stuff) and IDF in house for main firewall/router ISP drop.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
You can use either an L2 or an L3 configuration at wire-speed in the ICX device, it's up to you based on your preference. Probably would be better to discuss that in the main ICX thread though, since this one is specifically about this model of devices.

Reactions: myrison