Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
For reference, fans I've seen in switches (will be extended in the future)

ICX6450-24: 1 Fan
Foxconn PIA040H12L

40x40x28mm, 12V DC, 0.1A (0.16A printed on fan), Max Airflow = 0.33m³/min or 11.67CFM, Max Static Pressure = 11.9mm H2O / 0.47in H2O / 117Pa, 35.6db(A), 8500 RPM
Ball Bearing?
Tacho

ICX6450-24P: 2 Fans

Nidec W40S12BMA5-52, 40x40x28mm, 12V DC, 0.12A (0.14A printed on fan), Max Airflow = 0.31m³/min or 10.9CFM, Max Static Pressure = 101Pa or 0.41in H2O, 34.5dB(A), 8500 RPM, -10°C - +70°C, MTBF: 70,000h @ 40°C
Part Number W40S12BMA5-52 decoded:
W = Vane Axial, Closed Flange
40 = 40mm
S = 28mm thickness
12 = 12V
B = Ball Bearings
M = Medium Speed
A = Generation
5 = Blade count
-52 = Tachometer (no other options like PWM)

PSA: Replacing those fans with Delta EFB0412VHD-R00 will have the switch mark them as failed, because the R has a locked rotor sensor and NOT a Tachometer.

ICX6450-48: 1 Fan, Nidec W40S12BMA5-52 (see above)

ICX7250-48: 2 Fans, Foxconn PIA040H12P

40x40x28mm, 12V DC, 0.59A (0.81A printed on fan), Max Airflow = 0.746m³/min or 26.33CFM, Max Static Pressure = 51.82mm H2O / 2.04in H2O / 508Pa, 53.8db(A), 18000 RPM
Ball Bearing?
Tacho

ICX7250-48P: 3 Fans, Foxconn PIA040H12P

Last edited:
Reactions: custom90gt

deeceesth

Jul 30, 2021
Maybe check show inline power detail?

strange output. it just looks like nothing is there. the switch definitely has poe and it was running with poe up until a month ago.
reboot didn't fix it.

Code:
SSH@ICX7250-24P Switch>show inline power detail

Power Supply Data On unit 1:
++++++++++++++++++

Power Supply Data:
++++++++++++++++++

power supply 2 is not present

POE Details Info. On Unit 1 :

General PoE Data:
+++++++++++++++++

Firmware
Version
----------------

Hardware
Version                                                           
----------------                                                 

Device HW version         :                                       
Device Temperature(deg-C) :                                       
Device Status             :                                       

Cumulative Port State Data:                                       
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++                                       

#Ports    #Ports     #Ports   #Ports    #Ports       #Ports     #Ports
Admin-On  Admin-Off  Oper-On  Oper-Off  Off-Denied   Off-No-PD  Off-Fault
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cumulative Port Power Data:                                       
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++                                       

#Ports  #Ports  #Ports        Power       Power                   
Pri: 1  Pri: 2  Pri: 3  Consumption  Allocation                   
-----------------------------------------------

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
strange output. it just looks like nothing is there. the switch definitely has poe and it was running with poe up until a month ago.
reboot didn't fix it.
Hu that is bad.

I don't know whether the PoE board would still show up even if the 54V rail from the power supply is missing. Maybe a fuse on the PoE board is blown. Have you already opened the switch?

deeceesth

Jul 30, 2021
Hu that is bad.

I don't know whether the PoE board would still show up even if the 54V rail from the power supply is missing. Maybe a fuse on the PoE board is blown. Have you already opened the switch?
Not yet. I'm preparing my back up switch and once i swap it out I'm going to open it up. I'll report back once I find out more info.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG

obsidian

Jan 10, 2023
OK - considering the rear ports are not intended to be used for data ports, you won't find any information on this in the manuals etc. Using them as just data ports is easy enough, but splitting them up and using some for stacking and some for data ports requires some finangling to make the stacking code not try and take over all 4 ports.

However it's possible and stable across reboots etc. basically follow this, it might take you a couple times. This will enable stacking between two units just using the 40gbE qsfp ports, leaving 4x breakout QSFPs total available for data use

Code:
#unplug all stacking cables except for 1, going between port 1/2/1 on unit 1 and 1/2/1 on unit two
#don't plug anything else into unit 2 or you'll get a loop
#first you have to unstack all the units and remove any existing stack configuration:
enable
stack unconfigure all
write mem
reload
#both switches should reload, wait till they come back up

#when they're back up, on unit 1:
enable
conf t
stack unit 1
no stack-trunk 1/2/1 to 1/2/2
stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/6
#ignore the warning that pops up about not showing up in "show run"

#still running the below on unit 1!
stack unit 2
no stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2
stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/6
#ignore the warning that pops up about not showing up in "show run"
exit
stack enable
write mem
exit
stack secure-setup

#When the setup is done, do "show run"
#stack unit 2 section probably has "stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2" added back to it

#the second switch is currently rebooting to rejoin the stack, wait for it to do so
#once it comes back online, do the following to remove the stack unit 2 trunk:
#still on unit 1:
conf t
stack unit 2
no stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2
#will probably reboot unit 2 again
#wait for it to come back online, then connect the second pair of 40gbE ports
Once you connect the second pair of 40gbe ports (1/2/6 on unit 1 to 1/2/6 on unit 2) you should be done. Check by running "show stack", you should see both units "ready" with the connection diagram showing both 40gbE ports linked up like below:

Code:
ICX1#sh stack
T=6m28.6: alone: standalone, D: dynamic cfg, S: static
ID   Type          Role    Mac Address    Pri State   Comment
1  S ICX6610-48P   active  cc4e.24b8.d9d0 128 local   Ready
2  S ICX6610-48P   standby cc4e.243e.aa74   0 remote  Ready

active       standby
     +---+        +---+
-2/6| 1 |2/1--2/1| 2 |2/6-
|   +---+        +---+   |
|                        |
|------------------------|
Standby u2 - protocols ready, can failover
Current stack management MAC is cc4e.24b8.d9d0
If you have the same output, do a "write mem" then a "reload" to reload the whole stack. It should come back up fresh in the correct state and running "show stack" again should have the same output as before.

Your final stacking config should look like this:

Code:
stack unit 1
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
  priority 128
  stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/6
stack unit 2
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
  stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/6
stack enable
I know this is an older post, but was wondering if the opposite would be possible.

Instead of using port 1/2/1 (40G qsfp Port) for stacking could the could the 4x breakout QSFP port be used for trunking leaving the 40gbE qsfp ports for data use?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Instead of using port 1/2/1 (40G qsfp Port) for stacking could the could the 4x breakout QSFP port be used for trunking leaving the 40gbE qsfp ports for data use?
That question has been asked many times by many people (including me)...

Sadly, the answer is: If you find a way to do this, please let us know :)
Right now, it seems like it isn't possible. But I don't think @fohdeesha himself has ever given a definite answer

obsidian

Jan 10, 2023
That question has been asked many times by many people (including me)...

Sadly, the answer is: If you find a way to do this, please let us know :)
Right now, it seems like it isn't possible. But I don't think @fohdeesha himself has ever given a definite answer
I was kinda hoping someone had figured it out. :D

mintchipmadness

Nov 27, 2020
Hello All,
I have an ICX7250-48P and I am trying find equivalent fans (new) to replace the old stock ones (Nidec). I tried to find the 3 wire Foxconn PIA040H12P but unfortunately all I can find are refurbished ones or 4 wire. What is everyone else replacing their fans with and still keeping the air flow the same? I decided to start looking for equivalent fans and the Delta FFB0412SHN-F00 appears close enough in specs (a little bit lower in air flow/pressure) and is available to purchase. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
Hello All,
I have an ICX7250-48P and I am trying find equivalent fans (new) to replace the old stock ones (Nidec). I tried to find the 3 wire Foxconn PIA040H12P but unfortunately all I can find are refurbished ones or 4 wire. What is everyone else replacing their fans with and still keeping the air flow the same? I decided to start looking for equivalent fans and the Delta FFB0412SHN-F00 appears close enough in specs (a little bit lower in air flow/pressure) and is available to purchase. Thank you for your help.
Here's what I did

Kahooli

Dec 3, 2022
Hello All,
nothing wrong with using a 4 wire fan on a 3 wire... just delete the 4th wire.

tazplex

Jun 8, 2023
New here...

I have recently acquired an ICX 7450. Does anyone know if the ICX7400-4X10GF module will negotiate SFP+ transceivers for 1/2.5/5/10G on the switch side, or it's limited to 1/10? I know some of the Mikrotik SFP+ transceivers and possibly Ubiquiti will do it, but not sure if they'll work correctly in the switch or default to 1G.

Thinking I might get lucky as the discontinued ICX7450-32ZP supported 2.5G and hopefully they have the same chipsets, Anyone know? Thanks.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
New here...

I have recently acquired an ICX 7450. Does anyone know if the ICX7400-4X10GF module will negotiate SFP+ transceivers for 1/2.5/5/10G on the switch side, or it's limited to 1/10? I know some of the Mikrotik SFP+ transceivers and possibly Ubiquiti will do it, but not sure if they'll work correctly in the switch or default to 1G.

Thinking I might get lucky as the discontinued ICX7450-32ZP supported 2.5G and hopefully they have the same chipsets, Anyone know? Thanks.
You’ll need to search the thread for which mgig SFPs have worked. The switch itself is only aware of 1/10g. SFPs that support other speeds have worked, but the switch will class it as a 10g port.

56ip1234

Jun 6, 2023
I recently acquired a few 7150s, specifically a 7150-24P and two 7150-C12Ps. None of the units included rack ears.

For the 7150-24P I used the "PhyinLan Rack Mount Kit Universal Adjustable 19 Inch Rack Ears for HP/ProCurve/Aruba/OfficeConnect/HPE and Other Switches". They are not a perfect fit, but with some patience and iterative screw tightening, they are firmly connected. I used 1/4" long #6-32 screws with a single washer. The 7150-24P does not have a lot of clearance for the SFP+ cages so be careful not to use too long of screws.

For the 7150-C12Ps I used the "MokerLink Rack Mount Kit for 10.6-inch Switches". It is easier to connect than the PhyinLan kit since it is more of a universal fit. The 7150-C12Ps use M4-0.7 screws. I used 10 mm screws with a washer and had no issues. The 7150-C12P has more internal clearance.

Go figure out why Ruckus used non-metric screws on the 24P and metric screws on the C12P. That threw me for a bit of a loop.

Now they are happily racked and acting as a stack.

jameseck

Feb 10, 2020
Hi,
I have two 6450s configured in a stack.
1/2/3 on switch1 and 2/2/3 on switch2 are connected via fiber. The two switches and the stack have been working flawlessly for about 2 years.
Well, two days ago, the fiber decided to die, so the stack port links were showing as down.
Today I replaced the fiber and both ports 1/2/3 and 2/2/3 are now showing as up @10ge.
However, switch1 shows it's "alone" and switch2 is "member".
I've tried re-running "stack secure-setup" on switch1 but it never really does anything besides trying to discover topology.
I assumed that once I fixed the broken link, the stack would be reformed. I've tried powercycling both switches, didn't help.

Now I'm wondering how to fix this. Are there any other commands I can try to resolve this? or should I just factory-reset switch2 and run the stack secure-setup again and hope it configures correctly?

Jun 13, 2023
i am just now starting to play with acls, took me a bit to go from no vlans very simple 1gb charter cable --> pfsense --> mikrotik l2 switch with zero vlans, to currently 5 vlans, cable modem terminated on switch, pfsense router on stick, separate dhcp server, grabbed Ruckus R710 x 2 for 140...

if one configures acl's very tightly is there not less and less reason to use pfsense ? i suppose the crypto card i have in my D-1528 1u pfsense (8960) is needed less and less as i continue to take the load off pfsense removing dhcp first and basically seems like i wont have any reason for pfsense's firewall..

at which point, i can maybe configure it as a live packet analyzer with suricata, snort, and all the other sec packages??

i have a ICX7250-24P, i use 2x Arctic 4028 15k fans, where at 6V it is 5-10 dB quieter than the foxconn fans. i used a wired cutter and snipped out the chassis fan guard so it is a hole behind the exhaust fans, and that was a massive airflow improvement // temp decrease -- i ended up adding 40mm black fan grille over the rear of the chassis and it actually looks very tidy and nice .. i am now considering a 40mm hole saw and making a 3rd hole so I can maybe use 3x 12-14ish cfm fans.

i am not there yet, as i have alot of acls to add, they are a pita.... like thinking about the packet exiting and configuring for that..

has anyone completely switched and now has no use for a pfsense firewall?

i didnt think BGP would be something I would even really think about but now i am bummed the icx7250 does not have that.

does anyone have a recommendation for 2-5gb throughput edge device that isnt too expensive, that can do bgp ?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
if one configures acl's very tightly is there not less and less reason to use pfsense ?
Switch level ACL's are not a replacement for a real firewall that can do inspection. Also, the switch can't do NAT which you need since you almost certainly have only a single public IP address and multiple LAN devices sharing it.

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
As noted, pfsense and a perimeter device in general has more options and more security and tools vs an L3 switch. Think of it more like they compliment each other and each have their strengths and weaknesses.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
i am just now starting to play with acls, took me a bit to go from no vlans very simple 1gb charter cable --> pfsense --> mikrotik l2 switch with zero vlans, to currently 5 vlans, cable modem terminated on switch, pfsense router on stick, separate dhcp server, grabbed Ruckus R710 x 2 for 140...

if one configures acl's very tightly is there not less and less reason to use pfsense ? i suppose the crypto card i have in my D-1528 1u pfsense (8960) is needed less and less as i continue to take the load off pfsense removing dhcp first and basically seems like i wont have any reason for pfsense's firewall..

at which point, i can maybe configure it as a live packet analyzer with suricata, snort, and all the other sec packages??

i have a ICX7250-24P, i use 2x Arctic 4028 15k fans, where at 6V it is 5-10 dB quieter than the foxconn fans. i used a wired cutter and snipped out the chassis fan guard so it is a hole behind the exhaust fans, and that was a massive airflow improvement // temp decrease -- i ended up adding 40mm black fan grille over the rear of the chassis and it actually looks very tidy and nice .. i am now considering a 40mm hole saw and making a 3rd hole so I can maybe use 3x 12-14ish cfm fans.

i am not there yet, as i have alot of acls to add, they are a pita.... like thinking about the packet exiting and configuring for that..

has anyone completely switched and now has no use for a pfsense firewall?

i didnt think BGP would be something I would even really think about but now i am bummed the icx7250 does not have that.

does anyone have a recommendation for 2-5gb throughput edge device that isnt too expensive, that can do bgp ?
I doubt charter residential cable will allow you to peer BGP with them...

Reactions: MrGuvernment