Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

c4th4r5y5

Jun 30, 2022
If you type in 'show ver' what does it show?

Code:
 Copyright (c) 1996-2015 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Jan 26 2016 at 22:02:54 labeled as ICX64S08030f
                (8496808 bytes) from Primary ICX64S08030f.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.30fT311
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.01T310 (kxz10105)
  HW: Stackable ICX6450-48-HPOE
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6450-48P POE 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BZT2546H7JE
         License: BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: dbvHKJLjMlg)
         P-ENGINE  0: type DEF0, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DEF0, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6450-SFP-Plus 4port 40G Module
  800 MHz ARM processor ARMv5TE, 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 1 minute(s) 18 second(s)
The system : started=cold start
I tried again today with some network changes and still the same error as my initial attempt

Looking at the values and what I am inputing for the file names, I could assume maybe my switch is already updated?

floydcohen

Jun 6, 2022
Code:
Error: The data payload crc 1bbc09c2 and the calculated  crc  8a109441 mismatch
Sounds like maybe the firmware files got corrupted. Try redownloading the original/extract again. On the really really really off chance, maybe try a different tftp server. Back in the old days, tftp servers would transfer 7-bit by default, not 8-bit.

c4th4r5y5

Jun 30, 2022
Code:
Error: The data payload crc 1bbc09c2 and the calculated  crc  8a109441 mismatch
Sounds like maybe the firmware files got corrupted. Try redownloading the original/extract again. On the really really really off chance, maybe try a different tftp server. Back in the old days, tftp servers would transfer 7-bit by default, not 8-bit.

I just tried again, this time I disabled 'Option Negociation' and made it 'Bind TFTP to address' in tftpd64 and it worked! Hopefully this clears it for future reference

(I downloaded it three time before playing with the options and also changed the way I was unzipping to no avail)

Reactions: Lone Wolf

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
is it possible to do LACP on 2 of the 4 x10GB ports that were broken out from the QSFP ports of an ICX6610?
If so, how is that done?

kimbo

Jun 15, 2022
Hi again,

I've finally been able to set up my Brocade ICX 6450-24, and my recently arrived ICX 6450-48!

Two things...

On the ICX 6450-48 the fans never spin down from full speed, even though "show chassis" says it's at "speed 1". Is this a known issue?

And I'd like to make another request for any recommendations on a specific (quiet) model of Sunon, Delta or Mechatronics fan that I can get in the UK? They all seem to be out of stock or shipped from china (which I'll do if needs be, but I'm not sure how to know I'm not ordering a fake).

Thank you for the great set-up guide and all of the great information on here! :)

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
On the ICX 6450-48 the fans never spin down from full speed, even though "show chassis" says it's at "speed 1". Is this a known issue?

And I'd like to make another request for any recommendations on a specific (quiet) model of Sunon, Delta or Mechatronics fan that I can get in the UK? They all seem to be out of stock or shipped from china (which I'll do if needs be, but I'm not sure how to know I'm not ordering a fake).
Is the 6450-48 updated to the latest firmware?

I went with Noctua fans on mine. They don't move as much air as the Sunon and Deltas but specs wise they are quieter so that's why I went with those. I have my switch in my entertainment center in the living room so being silent was important. I also don't have much plugged into it. If its a fully loaded switch it might need a beefier fan.

Reactions: kimbo

anemoiac

Jan 7, 2021
Is there a Brocade command to revert to automatic fan control after manually setting the fan speed on a switch? Asking for a friend...

*I have a Quanta LB6M that's been flashed with Brocade TurboIron FW and my query wasn't getting any attention in the associated thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Hi All,

I've finally had time to setup my 6610s that have been gathering dust.

I'm new to the ICX ranges and L3 switches in general.

I have 3 6610's that have been upgraded and licenced ( many thanks to @fohdeesha) for all the great work and knowledge shared with the community!

I have connected the three 6610s units using a ring method as per the manual by using 6x QSFP DAC cables.
I wanted to know if this config is setup correctly, in summary please rate my stack :cool:

ring.jpg

6610 stack.png

kimbo

Jun 15, 2022
Is the 6450-48 updated to the latest firmware?
I think so. The update failed twice with CRC errors, but then seemed to work. Is there a way to check if it updated successfully?
Do you think the CRC errors might be connected (or it might just have been my bad wifi)?

I went with Noctua fans on mine. They don't move as much air as the Sunon and Deltas but specs wise they are quieter so that's why I went with those. I have my switch in my entertainment center in the living room so being silent was important. I also don't have much plugged into it. If its a fully loaded switch it might need a beefier fan.
Cool. Did you go for the NF-A4x10 or NF-A4x20?

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
Check your temperatures with "show chassis" to make sure the noctuas acutally keep the switch cool enough. The ASIC is running at full speed all the time and gets quite hot.

I use Sunon Fans and they have to spin up on hot days to cool down the switch.

Jul 5 20:19:45:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 20:01:55:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 19:38:39:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 19:21:34:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 18:59:03:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 18:43:23:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 18:21:22:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 18:06:32:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 17:42:56:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 17:29:01:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 17:04:55:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 16:50:10:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 16:28:29:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 16:11:14:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 15:50:13:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 15:33:03:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 15:11:37:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 14:55:17:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2
Jul 5 14:34:32:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 1
Jul 5 14:18:06:W:System:Stack unit 1 Fan speed changed automatically to 2

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
I think so. The update failed twice with CRC errors, but then seemed to work. Is there a way to check if it updated successfully?
Do you think the CRC errors might be connected (or it might just have been my bad wifi)?
If you run 'show ver' it will tell you which firmware is running. On mine it shows SW: Version 08.0.30uT313, which is the latest for this switch. I did have some errors earlier on tho with the EEPROM and it had something to do with temp files in the file system. There is a note about that a month or two ago earlier in this thread from Fohdeesha. Although updating through wifi is never the best option if you can help it, expecially if you don't have rock solid signal strength. If you run 'show ver' and get the same version, then you know you are on the latest.

Cool. Did you go for the NF-A4x10 or NF-A4x20?
NF-A4x20 FLX. It has more airflow than the A4x10, less noise and more static pressure. Seems a no-brainer :D And they fit just fine (the built in fans are 20mm as well). If you plan on having several POE devices and lots of ethernet ports hooked up, you might want one of the Sunon or Deltas that move more air as more heat will be generated.

Whichever fan you get, you will likely need to swap two of the pins. I had to with the Nuctuas. I'd give you that info from the notes I took, but I can't seem to make sense of what I jotted down :D I'll be pulling the switch apart soon so I'm going to figure it out again.

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
Check your temperatures with "show chassis" to make sure the noctuas acutally keep the switch cool enough. The ASIC is running at full speed all the time and gets quite hot.
The temps are quite fine. It's currently sitting at 57 degrees with two Noctuas. Two or three times a day on hot days it will hit fan speed 2 for a minute or two (which is also silent) and then its fine again. I don't like it thermal cycling like that tho, so I just picked up a third noctua fan and will install it soon. I'm figuring the extra air flow will keep it in fan speed 1 all the time. I monitor the switch with LibreNMS so I have nice graphs of the temperature to refer back to. It's never stayed in fan speed 2 for any length of time.

I also have very little plugged into my switch. Three 10Gig DACs, one POE Ethernet and one other Ethernet cable that rarely get used. I would've preferred the 6450-24 port instead of the 48, but all I could find was the 48. If I started adding more - especially POE devices - I would be expecting to get fans with better airflow to handle it.

kimbo

Jun 15, 2022
If you run 'show ver' it will tell you which firmware is running. On mine it shows SW: Version 08.0.30uT313, which is the latest for this switch.
Mine shows the same.

Fingers crossed that the fan issue is the only issue, and it stays alive!

NF-A4x20 FLX. It has more airflow than the A4x10, less noise and more static pressure. Seems a no-brainer :D And they fit just fine (the built in fans are 20mm as well). If you plan on having several POE devices and lots of ethernet ports hooked up, you might want one of the Sunon or Deltas that move more air as more heat will be generated.

Whichever fan you get, you will likely need to swap two of the pins. I had to with the Nuctuas. I'd give you that info from the notes I took, but I can't seem to make sense of what I jotted down :D I'll be pulling the switch apart soon so I'm going to figure it out again.
Cool :)

My switch is non-POE, so that should help with heat. I think I'll try a NF-A4x20 FLX, and I'll report back.

Thanks for the help.

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
Mine shows the same.

Fingers crossed that the fan issue is the only issue, and it stays alive!
All three of mine show "fan failed", but they did that before I swapped the fans too. They correctly change speeds as needed, so I don't worry about it.

My switch is non-POE, so that should help with heat. I think I'll try a NF-A4x20 FLX, and I'll report back.

Thanks for the help.
I would look into three if you can. One doesn't move much air and it's better to have more than you need than less than you need.

Last edited: