Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I can't execute that command on my 10G optics. Pretty sure the TDR test is only for Ethernet over UTP. When run against one of my copper ports, it shows the length on each pair and if any pairs are open. This is from the spliced up telephone line (all 4 lines in the house were run from a single CAT 5, so when we got fiber, we took the two lines that weren't used and terminated to RJ-45) that goes to my ONT:
Code:
SSH@core#sh cable-diagnostics tdr 1/1/48

Port    Speed   Local pair      Pair Length     Remote pair     Pair status
----    -----   ----------      -----------     -----------     -----------
1/1/48    100M  Pair A          50-80M          Pair B          terminated
                Pair B          50-80M          Pair A          terminated
                Pair C          <=3M                            open
                Pair D          <=3M                            open[/core]
And the ICX won't let you set "speed-duplex auto" on SFP+ (mine are all optics, do not have a RJ-45 SFP+ to test with):
Code:
SSH@core(config-if-e10000-1/2/2)#speed-duplex auto 
This speed setting is not applicable to port 1/2/2

darthray

Apr 11, 2021
Sorry if it's been already answered somewhere, tried to do some googling first, but still not clear. I've just won an auction for a couple of ICX 6610, and only after proceeding to the checkout, re-read the description again - and realized I somehow missed this:

"DEVICE IS FULLY WIPED AND WILL NEED REIMAGED/SOFTWARE,SET UP AND CONFIGURED!! DEVICE DOES TURN ON AND WAS WIPED!
"SWITCH CONTAINS NO BOOT IMAGE! A NEW BOOT IMAGE WILL NEED TO BE UPLOADED BEFORE CONFIGURATION!"

I've read the guides from the first post, but they seem to be about firmware upgrading, configuration etc, I couldn't find anything related to fully wiped switches with no boot image. Is this going to be a problem, or I'll be able to just upload new images / firmware by myself?
You will be fine, just follow the guide. It will likely power on directly to the bootloader prompt. Make sure to read the update guide carefully, and prepare for the steps in advance. Your 6610 will be in full howl mode until you get the OS booting, so it's in your best interest to move through the steps as quickly as possible.
Also, while waiting for your 6610s, go grab a console cable, if you don't already have one. You'll need it.

Take your pick: Amazon.com : console cable rj45

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
Also, while waiting for your 6610s, go grab a console cable, if you don't already have one. You'll need it.
Thanks, I don't have a console cable yet. I'm looking at the pictures of those 6610-48p switches, and can't see any weird ports on them (like usb, serial etc), does it mean that I'm gonna be plugging the console cable into one of those rj45 ports in the back? So the console cable is going to be rj45<=>rj45 then? Can't I just make one by myself then, with a crimp tool?

darthray

Apr 11, 2021
Thanks, I don't have a console cable yet. I'm looking at the pictures of those 6610-48p switches, and can't see any weird ports on them (like usb, serial etc), does it mean that I'm gonna be plugging the console cable into one of those rj45 ports in the back? So the console cable is going to be rj45<=>rj45 then? Can't I just make one by myself then, with a crimp tool?
That's right. You'll be plugging the cable onto the RJ45 port on the right (closest to the 40Gbps ports, the one with the ones-and-zeroes label under it). Those console cables are going USB <-> RJ45. The USB portion has a USB-to-serial chip embedded in them with the correct wiring going to the RJ45 end.

You can probably make one yourself but you'll need a serial port or USB-serial converter anyways. They are using the same RJ45 connector as network cables do, but the wiring and protocol running on that port is different from Ethernet.

Reactions: dontwanna

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I did the clear:

Code:
SSH@ICX7250-48P Router(config)#clear cable-diagnostics tdr 1/2/1
Then I went out of conf t

Code:
SSH@ICX7250-48P Router#phy cable-diagnostics tdr 1/2/1
        This feature is only supported when the interface is configured for Auto-Negotiation
I tried it with 1/2/8 (not part of a lag)

Code:
SSH@ICX7250-48P Router#phy cable-diagnostics tdr 1/2/8
        This feature is only supported when the interface is configured for Auto-Negotiation
I might be close?

1/2/1 is part of a lag, 1/2/8 is plugged into a unifi 1gb optic so its slowed to 1gb

next I turned off a part of my lag:

lag uplink
disable e 1/2/2

long story short, disabled a port from each lag, tried again, still didnt work.

Any other ideas?
TDR / cable phy is only for native copper ports

Reactions: richtj99

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
You'll be plugging the cable onto the RJ45 port on the right (closest to the 40Gbps ports, the one with the ones-and-zeroes label under it). Those console cables are going USB <-> RJ45. The USB portion has a USB-to-serial chip embedded in them with the correct wiring going to the RJ45 end.
Wait, do I need a "usb<=>rj45" console cable, or an "rj45<=>rj45" console cable? It's just from reading the fohdeesha's update guides I've got the impression that one end of the cable goes into the switch (and that's rj45, at least in case of icx6610), and the other end is connected to my network (so also rj45):
Fohdeesha Docs said:
Connect to the switches serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1), and connect the dedicated management port to your network (do not use a "normal" port).
So I thought I'll just need to assemble the wires in some specific order and crimp a regular cat5 cable. Google found me this, which suggested it's as simple as swapping some pins and then crimping as usual:

That amazon link in your post lists all kinds of cables, there are rj45<=>rj45 there, rj45<=>usb, rj45<=>db9, so that got me confused. :) Do I need an rj45<=>rj45 serial cable, like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Console-Rollover-Cable-RJ45/dp/B004Z9YG5W/
I don't see any chips embedded in the pictures.

Lol, I'll probably have a hard time learning these switches if I'm so dumb that I can't even figure out the serial cable thing. :D

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
@dontwanna The serial cable is... well, serial :) You'd have to connect it to a serial port of you computer, not on the network (that's the management interface, a NIC essentially bound to the switch CPU); if you have a modern computer that doesn't have a serial port you can use a USB-DB9 adapter or you can buy some "console cable" that has the adapter chip inside the USB connector and on the other end has a "rollover" RJ45.

darthray

Apr 11, 2021
Wait, do I need a "usb<=>rj45" console cable, or an "rj45<=>rj45" console cable? It's just from reading the fohdeesha's update guides I've got the impression that one end of the cable goes into the switch (and that's rj45, at least in case of icx6610), and the other end is connected to my network (so also rj45):

So I thought I'll just need to assemble the wires in some specific order and crimp a regular cat5 cable. Google found me this, which suggested it's as simple as swapping some pins and then crimping as usual:

That amazon link in your post lists all kinds of cables, there are rj45<=>rj45 there, rj45<=>usb, rj45<=>db9, so that got me confused. :) Do I need an rj45<=>rj45 serial cable, like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Console-Rollover-Cable-RJ45/dp/B004Z9YG5W/
I don't see any chips embedded in the pictures.

Lol, I'll probably have a hard time learning these switches if I'm so dumb that I can't even figure out the serial cable thing. :D
Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't noticed that RJ45 <-> RJ45 cable was part of that list.

Here's an example of the cable you'll need (that's the one I have):

AmazonSmile: OIKWAN Console Cable,USB Console Cable, USB to RJ45 Console Cable with FTDI chip Compatible with Cisco, Huawei,HP,Arista,Opengear,Aruba,Juniper Routers/Switches for Laptops in Windows, Mac, Linux: Computers & Accessories

It's an USB <-> RJ45 cable. It has an embedded USB-to-serial chip on the USB side of the cable and it has the correct pinout on the RJ45 side. There exist many ways to connect to equipment over serial, but this is the one that will work with the 6610s.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't noticed that RJ45 <-> RJ45 cable was part of that list.

Here's an example of the cable you'll need (that's the one I have):

AmazonSmile: OIKWAN Console Cable,USB Console Cable, USB to RJ45 Console Cable with FTDI chip Compatible with Cisco, Huawei,HP,Arista,Opengear,Aruba,Juniper Routers/Switches for Laptops in Windows, Mac, Linux: Computers & Accessories

It's an USB <-> RJ45 cable. It has an embedded USB-to-serial chip on the USB side of the cable and it has the correct pinout on the RJ45 side. There exist many ways to connect to equipment over serial, but this is the one that will work with the 6610s.
Oh, that's lovely, I might have to get one of those; I currently carry around a regular USB to DB9 dongle and my Cisco cable. I do have some switches that use different pin outs though, so have DB( as the common element is handy.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
@itronin
i guess i didn't think it was relevant? my fw is Vyos.

and you are spot on. no, i don't have a NAT rule for 172, only 10.0.0.0/16.

added the nat rule and problem solved!

Code:
vyos@vyos# show nat
source {
     rule 1 {
         outbound-interface eth0
         source {
             address 10.0.0.0/16
         }
         translation {
             address masquerade
         }
     }
     rule 2 {
         outbound-interface eth0
         source {
             address 172.16.0.0/30
         }
         translation {
             address masquerade
         }
     }
}
Hey @jht3 I am interesting in testing out VyOS on the edge as a firewall with a transit vlan and my 6450 L3 switch hosting multiple Internal vlans. I've not found any howtoo's specifically for setting this up in the VyOS cli. Do you know of any or have some basic tips beyond the nat masquerade rule here?

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
So I am using a 6 strand OM3 fiber cable & am looking for another strand. I was looking at:

preterminated OM4 - they have 12 & 24 strand. I think 12 would be fine (though I thought 6 was fine in 2012). He said a 24 strand should fit OK in a 1" conduit but the conduit has been in the ground for 30 or so years & I have no idea if it will be OK.

I had my OM3 unused due to cost for termination until 3 years ago so this is appealing.

He did say that singlemode is more popular though.

Its a home network so I dont even really have a good reason on why I want to get my 30gb lag to 40gb beyond I dont have enough strands.

So the question is:

1. Any thoughts on a pretermintated 12 strand LC to LC?
2. As I am buying a new cable, should i consider other formats? SC, singlemode, etc?

I think my distance is less than 250 feet'ish.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
At that distance, I can't think of any reason to do SM rather than MM. You can do up to 100 Gb (with a bidi) over a single pair of MM OM4 up to 100 meters.

Reactions: richtj99

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
So the question is:

1. Any thoughts on a pretermintated 12 strand LC to LC?
2. As I am buying a new cable, should i consider other formats? SC, singlemode, etc?
If your main concern is fitting it down an existing conduit, I'd go with MPT/MPO terminated cables, and get fanouts that plug into them, rather than trying to stuff the full 12xLC fanout down the conduit.

BecauseScience

Feb 3, 2016
Why is 7250-48P so much more desirable than 6610-48P?

I'm trying to score a 7250-48P to run as the core switch from my home but I'm encountering ridiculous prices even using offers. Meanwhile, there are loads of (relatively) cheap 6610's available. It's kind of hard to believe a multi-hundred dollar difference is down to power usage and noise. Is there some other advantage I'm missing?

Wondering if I should buy a 6610 instead and save $$$...

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Why is 7250-48P so much more desirable than 6610-48P?

I'm trying to score a 7250-48P to run as the core switch from my home but I'm encountering ridiculous prices even using offers. Meanwhile, there are loads of (relatively) cheap 6610's available. It's kind of hard to believe a multi-hundred dollar difference is down to power usage and noise. Is there some other advantage I'm missing?

Wondering if I should buy a 6610 instead and save $$$...
There are some other differences too: the 7250 runs newer FW, is linux-based instead of a custom OS, possibly more compatible with newer brocade/ruckus gear, and probably most importantly for Ebay, the licensing is honor-based rather than enforced, so people who are not on this forum can use all the 10g ports without having to track down and pay for an additional license.

The 6610 also has more ports (including some 40g), so if the added noise and power consumption can be tolerated it's definitely the better buy. For my network, I'm using 6610s as the core switches in a closet where I don't care about noise, and 6450s anywhere noise is a concern.

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
I have a cat6 following my existing fiber - results are:

Code:
Port    Speed   Local pair      Pair Length     Remote pair     Pair status
----    -----   ----------      -----------     -----------     -----------
1/1/14    1G    Pair A          50-80M          Pair B          terminated
                Pair B          50-80M          Pair A          terminated
                Pair C          50-80M          Pair D          terminated
                Pair D          50-80M          Pair C          terminated
- still not sure what size cable to get as a replacement - 150 feet or 240 feet?

I am also seeing this message repeating every few seconds & I am not sure how to shut it off?

Code:
port 1/2/8 is not capable of digital optical monitoring.

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
Oh, that's lovely, I might have to get one of those; I currently carry around a regular USB to DB9 dongle and my Cisco cable. I do have some switches that use different pin outs though, so have DB( as the common element is handy.
If you have a serial cable setup that works with CISCO it will also work with the 6610. The reason for the confusion is because most people on this thread do not also have CISCO gear and/or proper serial support. So the general recommendation are the USB serial RJ45 connectors that are linked by most people. You don't need them if you have computers with serial ports, or an adapter that supports a DB9 or DB25 and appropriate adapters to RJ45 using the CISCO pin outs. Again, most people now don't know what that is in the first place...

Also as stated by the others, a properly wiped switch will be essentially booting to a stage that you can load the new firmware. Read the guide posted on the first page and it will walk you through loading the firmware which includes the OS. As mentioned, you will need a serial connection initially since your switch does not have an active working OS. After you have an OS, you can setup the network management port (I connected mine to a port that I set to a management VLAN, but ideally, you connect this to a different switch since if the switch is not responding properly, you might not be able to connect to the management port that way).

Be prepared for the 6610 to be EXTREMELY LOUD until after you load a proper OS. It will run all fans at 100% in this state because it doesn't have the smarts/controls at this point to sense temperatures and adjust speeds lower. So don't think it is that you have a broken switch and/or something that is way to loud for your use case until after you get the OS loaded (usually 1-2 minutes after booting).

Last edited:

jht3

Oct 5, 2015
Northern Virginia
Hey @jht3 I am interesting in testing out VyOS on the edge as a firewall with a transit vlan and my 6450 L3 switch hosting multiple Internal vlans. I've not found any howtoo's specifically for setting this up in the VyOS cli. Do you know of any or have some basic tips beyond the nat masquerade rule here?
its a very basic setup, if you follow the vyos documentation. configure your interfaces, add a static route, add NAT rules, configure firewall. and any other services you want or need. i've been running vyos as my main fw/router for 4+ years now after growing weary of pfsense and its complete lack of a CLI, missing support for VLANs on Xenserver, etc.
or i can send you my basic config if that would help get you started.

Reactions: Vesalius

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
its a very basic setup, if you follow the vyos documentation. configure your interfaces, add a static route, add NAT rules, configure firewall. and any other services you want or need. i've been running vyos as my main fw/router for 4+ years now after growing weary of pfsense and its complete lack of a CLI, missing support for VLANs on Xenserver, etc.
or i can send you my basic config if that would help get you started.
That would be great thanks.