Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A Micro USB 4 Raspberry LS | eBay

These work great for r.pi and other 5V PoE applications. Doesn’t work with Pi B+ and a cooling fan, which draws a bit more than 2.4A.

They also come in a 12V version. I bought a dozen of each from China; no issues yet.
Man, power is one of those things I'm reluctant to buy the cheap version of. How does the build quality on these compare to the parts from poetexas? I see them (poetexas) recommended most of the time when people ask about pi poe solutions.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
Man, power is one of those things I'm reluctant to buy the cheap version of. How does the build quality on these compare to the parts from poetexas? I see them (poetexas) recommended most of the time when people ask about pi poe solutions.
The short answer is: It's a pi. It's disposable.

I bought a few dozen of these to do PoE with ebay sourced IP cams; cut the ends off and hardwire them in. Never had a problem, but if I do, oh well. In the meantime I'm buying Vivotek IP7361's for $15 each... also disposable.

Reactions: MikeWebb

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Hi,
just got my 6450-48P and set it up according to @fohdeesha's awesome guide (thanks!).
Now the switch
pulls ~60W of power (@230V) without any ports connected. This seems to be much higher than the 24port version. Any ideas why the additional (disconnected) 1G ports would cause this increase in power consumption?

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Managed to snag an ICX 6450-48P to pair with my 6610-24 and I was wondering what my options were for stacking (if that's the correct terminology)... I have one of the 4x10 QSFP ports and 4 of the 10GbE SFP ports available so either a QSFP-SFP breakout or some SFP links I guess? What are the commands that I should be looking up to achieve this?
Do you mean stack the 6610 with the 6450 so they behave like one switch? It's possible, but the 6450 goes into an "l2 only" mode kicking all l3 traffic over to the 6610, so you don't get redundancy (if your 6610 dies, the 6450 can no longer do l3). The "mixed stacking" between these two was kind of an afterthought. That said it does work, and if all you're looking for is the ease of turning them both into a single device to manage with one interface/cli, it will definitely do that

long story short you enable stacking, set the stacking ports on the 6610 to one of the front 10gbe ports, then run the stacking setup command. You need to read fastiron-08030b-switchstackingguide.pdf from the firmware zip, specifically the Mixed Stacking section starting on page 177

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi,
just got my 6450-48P and set it up according to @fohdeesha's awesome guide (thanks!).
Now the switch
pulls ~60W of power (@230V) without any ports connected. This seems to be much higher than the 24port version. Any ideas why the additional (disconnected) 1G ports would cause this increase in power consumption?
no clue, that's twice as high as I've seen any other 48 version. The only difference I see with yours is you're running off of 230/240v, but I can't imagine that would cause a difference that large

Last edited:

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
no clue, that's twice as high as I've seen any other 48 version. The only difference I see with yours is you're running off of 230/240v, but I can't imagine that would cause a difference that large
Interesting..... I'll be able to provide some more numbers on this in a few weeks. I have two Eaton 9130 UPS's in the rack here at my shop which I have configured for 240V and everything in the rack runs at 240V. In general, it tends to be slightly more efficient.... That being said, what I have coming is a 48 port 6610 (non POE version). Once I fully have it configured, about 42 of the copper ports will be in use as well as a dozen 10G ports. Will be interesting to see what its power draw is. Not sure how soon I'd be able to test it loaded up that way both at 120V and then at 240V though as even on the weekend this is a production network and taking what will be the core switch up and down is somewhat disruptive... Not too bad though as I only have a few employees here on the weekend.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
If other people with 48P models report similar figures I would be surprised, fohdeesha's numbers are spot on with the spec/datasheet, and he has decent, precise equipment to measure it (not just Kill-a-watt crap, actual test equipment). I'm pretty sure he has measured the Delta PSUs at this point to some degree. If your unit is pulling 60w at idle that is twice the amount it should per spec. Make sure you are measuring this right at the power input of the switch and not through the UPS system and its metering. Those are absolute shit, save very few exceptions. The quality of the UPS and its wave output also matters quite a bit. The PSUs in these switches do PFC.

I'm trying to get a 48P shipped internationally, but even after showing a seller one of the eBay videos about enabling GSP in the listings, he was being lazy. Since I currently do not need it urgently, my tolerance for that sort of numbskullness is pretty low so I will let the listings go. There should be more of these coming in waves as they are now EOL'd. I paid 120-130 not long ago for a 24 port model. Some sellers are decent (got a 12 port PD model from a seller who was great through and through), but others are just trying to rub a few shekels off at the expense of naive buyers. At least with network gear things are more sane than with, say, used server parts. All those middlemen grabbing loot off gov auctions and reselling (or doing stuff like Emergent Tech does, slipping near-dead SSDs in lots of good ones) for huge premiums are meh. We don't have that sort of ridiculousness in Europe thanks to recycling/reuse laws.

zedkyuu

Sep 22, 2015
Have been rather pleased with the 6610P-48P I got awhile back. Only thing I wonder: is there some way to unlock a MACSec license, short of buying one? Haven't seen any info around and it's about $800-$1000 (or more than 4x what I paid for my unit) for one. I don't need it, obviously; just want to play around with it, and maybe run encrypted links under my house.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
A new measurement with my HP H8B49A metered PDU yields the following results:
Active Power: 59W
Power Factor: -0.74

This is again with no ports attached whatsoever. Oddly enough, during boot with fans at maximum it draws less (~46W). Once booted, fans slow down but are still quite audible, producing significant airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Have been rather pleased with the 6610P-48P I got awhile back. Only thing I wonder: is there some way to unlock a MACSec license, short of buying one? Haven't seen any info around and it's about $800-$1000 (or more than 4x what I paid for my unit) for one. I don't need it, obviously; just want to play around with it, and maybe run encrypted links under my house.
send me a pm

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
I feel dumb but how do you pm here? I clicked on your profile looking for a private message button but don't see it anywhere.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
How do I know if I need a license or not? I got my 6450 and know it powers on. What is next? I will be following your guide on a factory reset soon.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
If you get an unknown command 'ip' or "Invalid input -> ip address" following the setting up Brocade guide when you execute "ip address 192.168.1.50/24" that is because you are following the wrong guide. Specifically, I had the 6450 and was following the (default link) 6610 guide. Yes, I know, I did not read the title in big fonts.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
ICX 6450-48P power consumption is 52W with no ports connected on a kill-a-watt meter.
I will update this post with PoE devices after I swap my switches.

Reactions: Psycho_Robotico