Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
8080 is the stable codetrain, 8090 less so and 8091 is bleeding edge/expect bugs. Bad enough bugs you'd encounter them in home use? Not sure, worth a try if you're up to it

Reactions: tommybackeast

kroy

May 17, 2019
@fohdeesha thanks for the confirmation. I wasn’t really sure what differences there might have been. I might risk it for the Ansible capabilities.

Thanks again for all the help with these devices.

Reactions: tommybackeast

kroy

May 17, 2019
Finally got the 7250. I'm not sure if I got a broken one or not.

Is it normal for three of the ports on one side of the switch to be lit up solid green full time? From boot to when the fans cool down?

No matter what I've tried, I've been unable to get anything out of the serial port. I tried chopping a few cables per some hacks I saw. Are there are current sources for confirmed working mini-USB-serial cables? I've got one of https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-Mini-serial-DB-9-adapter-cable/dp/B00GO27WWW coming tomorrow, but I might also try the internal USB header to keystone jack hack I saw posted elsewhere.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Finally got the 7250. I'm not sure if I got a broken one or not.

Is it normal for three of the ports on one side of the switch to be lit up solid green full time? From boot to when the fans cool down?

No matter what I've tried, I've been unable to get anything out of the serial port. I tried chopping a few cables per some hacks I saw. Are there are current sources for confirmed working mini-USB-serial cables? I've got one of https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-Mini-serial-DB-9-adapter-cable/dp/B00GO27WWW coming tomorrow, but I might also try the internal USB header to keystone jack hack I saw posted elsewhere.
Yes during the bootloader stage some of the port lights are lit; in my 6450, at boot all the SFP link light are lit orange, and after the system boots there's a flash of all port lights, then all of them turns off until the configuration is applied and the links come up.
TL;DR: it's normal. ;)

As of the serial port, it's a serial console over mini-USB cables, so you've to use a cable with a serial converter; in this thread there're some posts about it, I'll do a search and quote them.

EDIT: Found them!

almost forgot to mention @anlin @Skud and anyone else who bought a 7250 - the 7250 (and most of the icx7xxx series) uses an annoying mini usb connector for the serial port, and it's still rs232 serial too so you can't plug it into a usb port.

You will need one of these - Brocade Console Cable Mini-USB (Male) to RJ45 (Male) 8ft Serial PN 50-1000122-01 | eBay

the ICX7150-C12P has a regular RJ45 serial port
If you really want to hack something up (I am not responsible if you fry the serial port):

kroy

May 17, 2019
Yes during the bootloader stage some of the port lights are lit; in my 6450, at boot all the SFP link light are lit orange, and after the system boots there's a flash of all port lights, then all of them turns off until the configuration is applied and the links come up.
TL;DR: it's normal. ;)

As of the serial port, it's a serial console over mini-USB cables, so you've to use a cable with a serial converter; in this thread there're some posts about it, I'll do a search and quote them.

EDIT: Found them!
That's what has me a bit concerned. Even after it finishes booting and quiets down, the lights stay on:

Problem 2 is that none of the link lights come up, except for the management port, when plugged into another switch. The link lights DO turn on on the opposite switch, except for the three ports with the stuck on lights.

I did see that, and tried a few different combinations of things and I wasn't able to get anything out of the serial port. The closest I got was with a USB->TTL adaptor, and that just spit out garbage like the port speed was wrong.

Waiting for another part to get here this afternoon, but I might have gotten a dud..

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Daaang! No, that's not normal at all! Do you have the PoE version? In case, the right light should be PoE on, so definitely there's something wrong in it.

The serial port should be 9600 baud, 8N1.

If I were you I'd ask for a replacement, as it is clear that it has a defective switch chip inside, probably caused by a storm or something similar...

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post... I thought you were referring to the light of the SFP+ cages, as in my 6450 those (placed on the chassis, near the stack ID light) do come up at the bootloader stage, but at the system stage they are off...

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
This is the picture I took when I was making my own ICX7250 cable. Do not pay attention to the soldering - I did much better job after I confirmed it working.

Brocade.jpg

Basically I got an old mini USB cable and cut off the TypeA connector. Then soldered 3 wires to the DB9-F connector:
Green to pin#2
White to pin#3
Black to pin#5

Use 9600 8N1 None settings in your terminal emulator. That's about it.

Reactions: Freebsd1976

kroy

May 17, 2019
Daaang! No, that's not normal at all! Do you have the PoE version? In case, the right light should be PoE on, so definitely there's something wrong in it.

The serial port should be 9600 baud, 8N1.

If I were you I'd ask for a replacement, as it is clear that it has a defective switch chip inside, probably caused by a storm or something similar...

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post... I thought you were referring to the light of the SFP+ cages, as in my 6450 those (placed on the chassis, near the stack ID light) do come up at the bootloader stage, but at the system stage they are off...
Thanks for confirming. Contacting my eBay seller now. Something definitely isn't right as I have an identical attempt at a serial cable as @BeTeP outlined and it doesn't work.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
added to the OP as it wasn't clear before, the ICX7250 DOES support all the layer 3 stuff the icx6450 does, but ADDS full tunnel support (ipv6 in ipv4 and GRE) as well as VRFs. So all the same advanced L3 features as the 6610 minus BGP

kroy

May 17, 2019
added to the OP as it wasn't clear before, the ICX7250 DOES support all the layer 3 stuff the icx6450 does, but ADDS full tunnel support (ipv6 in ipv4 and GRE) as well as VRFs. So all the same advanced L3 features as the 6610 minus BGP
It also supports full dynamic IPv6 via like OSPFv3 right? That's the big reason I picked one up, though as mentioned above, the first one is a dud.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
It also supports full dynamic IPv6 via like OSPFv3 right? That's the big reason I picked one up, though as mentioned above, the first one is a dud.
yep, looks like even the icx7150 supports it: https://i.imgur.com/fc1IJfO.png

(the version number is the first version that feature was introduced, so any version after that is good). I think the only switch in my original post that doesn't support it is the icx6450

source: https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/brocade/08091-featuresupportmatrix.pdf

Ezekial

Aug 6, 2019
New owner of a 6450 24p. I bought this one over the others due the depth of hte unit fitting my wall mounted rack.

I have been trying to figure out what swtich I would pull the trigger on for a while, and this thread helped seal the deal for me. The other factor being I have 2 Ruckus APs, so I am hoping there may be a benefit somewhere along the way.

Now to figure this thing out... First time setting up a switch.

UPDATE - ~3hrs later
Got my unit flashed to the latest firmware, upgraded from layer 2 to layer 3, flashed the POE, IP configured, and have a spare POE camera running. So far so good.

Last edited:

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Hey there!

Just picked up an ICX6610 24x GbE on eBay. That’s for my home lab. It’s supposed to arrive on Friday. I was looking for a while for an affordable 10/40Gbps switch with L3 functionality.

Really thanks to Fohdeesha for his help here and on Reddit. Without him many people would spend more or end up with an UniFi ... :)

Next week hopefully I’ll share some pics and a topology view about setup and usecase. I’m also interested in some latency and jitter numbers.

Meanwhile, a quick question on the console cable. The protocol looks a standard RS-232, so any serial to USB for console should work, right?

Thanks!

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Meanwhile, a quick question on the console cable. The protocol looks a standard RS-232, so any serial to USB for console should work, right?

Thanks!
Yep you'll need a standard Cisco-like RJ-45 serial console cable, and a USB-to-RS232 converter, or you can buy some cables that bundles a Prolific chip directly inside the USB-A connector, leading to an RJ-45 "serial" plug. ;)

kroy

May 17, 2019
So second 7250 arrived from a different seller... and I think it’s a dud again.

Anybody know if this is expected?

Code:
PS 1, Internal Power supply detected.
PS 1, Internal Power supply is up.
PoE: Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply with 370000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 370000 mW, total capacity is 370000, total free capacity is 370000
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 on ports 1/1/1 to 1/1/24 detected. Initializing....
2000 log entries of PoE Event Trace Log Buffer is allocated on unit 1 for unit 1
PoE Event Trace Logging enabled for unit 1
PoE Error: Failed Devices Bitmap on PoE module:4, numDev:3.
Resetting module in slot 1 again to recover from dev fault
PoE Info: Hard Resetting in slot 1....
sh: can't create /proc/iproc-i2c/iproc-i2c0/iproc-i2c-reset: nonexistent directory
PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.

pdsineReadResetResponse: Received an all-0 message
PoE Info: Expected post-reset system status response not received from the controller in slot 1...so reset of i2c will be initiated first to recover.
PoE Info: I2c Reset in slot 1....completed.
PoE Info: Hard Resetting in slot 1....
PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.

pdsineReadResetResponse: Received an all-0 message
PoE Severe Error: Controller Reset failed on unit 1 in slot 1
And trying to bring up POE on any ports:

Code:
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/1 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/2 has NOT changed.
Is it not the same as the 6450? I did find something that says enabling a few things like cdp, lldp, etc were all that were necessary to enable PoE, but no dice.

On the plus side, it appears that it’s just the PoE that’s borked on this switch. The ports actually appear to work otherwise. So I guess I’m making progress?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I have also bought a 7250 with a burnt out POE board recently - I sent it back. Probably I should have kept it and just used without POE. But I did not want to risk it - who knows what else might have got damaged. I wonder who will buy it next.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@kroy looks like it has a burnt POE board, to be sure update to the latest software and poe firmware. If I remember right, on the codetrains running on the icx7xxx series POE is enabled by default on all ports so you don't even need to run "inline power" underneath a port, which might explain the "Inline power configuration on port 1/1/2 has NOT changed." message

kroy

May 17, 2019
@kroy looks like it has a burnt POE board, to be sure update to the latest software and poe firmware. If I remember right, on the codetrains running on the icx7xxx series POE is enabled by default on all ports so you don't even need to run "inline power" underneath a port, which might explain the "Inline power configuration on port 1/1/2 has NOT changed." message
Yep. It had a burnt out board. Seller had me run 'no inline power' and 'inline power', and the "has NOT changed." didn't pop up. What it did cause was the USB->Ethernet that I had plugged into my NUC for initial config to literally start smoking and start on fire.

Quickly RMAd