Best low power 10G SFP+ NIC for Windows?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I've been trying to determine what the most suitable SFP+ NIC to put in my main desktop PC, which is most of the time is running Windows 11. When it's idle, the airflow is very low as the fans run at a very low RPM so the NIC will be getting very limited airflow. I also don't want to add another heat source, so low power consumption (and not limiting CPU low power states) is a fairly high priority. I expect to be using it with a DAC cable, which should help slightly with power consumption and heat.

So far, I've been looking at NICs based on the following chips:

Intel X710:
+ Low power​
+ Continued driver support (?)​
+ Reasonably priced Dell OEM models available on eBay​
- Buggier than earlier generations (?)​
- Transciever vendor locked by default (can be unlocked)​
- OEM models can't be cross-flashed to generic Intel firmware (?)​
Comments:
Are people still seeing stability issues with these cards? If so, do they also affect these more simple use cases where I likely won't be using many advanced features? Any downsides with going for the OEM models of this card, besides having to download firmware updates from the OEM? Do they work with Intel's generic Windows drivers (without INF modding)?​
I've also seen a supposedly Intel-branded card on eBay that has a Yottamark sticker that validates as genuine, but that lacked any actual product details on that validation page. Is that a known mistake by Intel, or can I expect the card to be a "fake"?​

Marvell/Aquantia AQC113:
+ Low power​
+ Good Windows driver support (?)​
+ Cheap​
- I've seen reports of stability issues for some users, not sure how widespread​
- I haven't found any SFP+ NICs using this chip :(
Comments:
Anyone with personal experience with these? Are they stable at this point, or should they be avoided?​

Marvell/Aquantia AQC107:
+ Fairly low power​
+ Good Windows driver support (?)​
+ Cheap​
+ SFP+ NICs available​
- I've seen reports of stability issues for some users, not sure how widespread​
- Old​
Comments:
Anyone with personal experience with these? Are they stable at this point, or should they be avoided?​

Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx:
+ 25G if I want it in the future​
+ Cross-flashing OEM models to regular Mellanox models possible​
+ Seems stable​
- Higher power consumption (requires more airflow based on the spec sheet)​
- Nvidia/Mellanox seem to continually EoL models in this line-up.​
- Limited future Windows driver support (?)​
Comments:
Are there any lower power models that I have missed?​

Have I missed any good contenders? The Chelsio T520-CR appears to run too hot for my use case though, and the T6225-CR also seems similar in that regard. The same is true for the older Intel cards from what I can tell.

Reactions: TvdH

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I ended up going for an Intel X710-DA2 from eBay and it has been running perfectly fine so far with my cheap optical transceivers. It's a Dell OEM card, so I have to use their firmware updates, which are thankfully available without any service contracts etc.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I'm looking for a similar option, will look into the X710-DA2 or Dell's equavelent as well. Thank's for posting an update!
You can find the OEM model numbers in this thread. The Dell cards seem to be the most common and can often be found for $50-60 on eBay from the US if you wait a little. You'll have to add VAT on top of that of course if you're outside the US like I am. I've also seen a few Lenovo cards. Sometimes you might be able to find a true Intel branded card for a decent price, but they are usually at least twice as expensive and have a smaller heatsink.

Note that only cards with Yottamark or similar stickers are likely to be actual Intel manufactured cards. There are lots of listings that don't mention clearly that they are for OEM cards unless you recognize the OEM model number.

I don't know if all OEMs publish the firmware updates for these cards openly, so that's something that you should check before buying one since you can't use Intel's firmware downloads.

This post in my other thread might be useful for you too if you decide to go for the X710, describing how I updated the firmware and what tool I used to disable the transceiver vendor lock that Intel likes to enable on their NICs.