Bastards...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Woke up to this yesterday morning. Smash-and-grab, they took an empty WD external hard drive box (ha!) and the Zyxel switch I got in the deal from this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...28f-24x-1g-4x-10g-switch-£68-crazy-deal.11228 (it'd sat on my desk at work for ages!). I'm only the switch and a £75 glass replacement excess down so it could have been much worse. Still, decidedly dischuffed!

If anyone sees a XGS4528F for sale in the Bristol area any time soon please give me a nod

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Jon - I am not giving you a Like because I am not condoning burglary. With that said, that is a total bummer. The more annoying part (to me) is that you have to spend the time getting a new window (which probably costs more than that switch). Being out £150 or so is bad but it could be much worse.

I had a colleague at my old firm who had left her briefcase in her car in San Francisco. Although the firm's laptops are encrypted, that was a difficult process since there was confidential material on the notebook.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
You're right it was really disruptive - was supposed to be doing some model validation work with a group of four people (and 36 cows...) which I've had to reschedule for next week.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
You're right it was really disruptive - was supposed to be doing some model validation work with a group of four people (and 36 cows...) which I've had to reschedule for next week.
Let's hope the cows can reschedule.

On a more serious note, sorry about the break-in man. Glad is was all piddly-shit, but I understand the annoyance all too well.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Woke up to this yesterday morning. Smash-and-grab, they took an empty WD external hard drive box (ha!) and the Zyxel switch I got in the deal from this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...28f-24x-1g-4x-10g-switch-£68-crazy-deal.11228 (it'd sat on my desk at work for ages!). I'm only the switch and a £75 glass replacement excess down so it could have been much worse. Still, decidedly dischuffed!

If anyone sees a XGS4528F for sale in the Bristol area any time soon please give me a nod
If you can make it to Bracknell (where I work in the week) or Flitwick (where I live) do you want to buy mine - same price as the deal? I only bought it for a spare and I already have a Microtek 10GB enabled switch as a spare anyway (have to figure out how to apply VLANS on it if I had absolutely had to). Its still in the wrapping.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
That's really kind of you. I live in Bristol but might be heading over to London on the 29th so could drop in on the way. I'll let you know if I do. Also, Flitwick to Bracknell - that's a hell of a commute. And I thought Bristol to Glastonbury was bad...

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
That's really kind of you. I live in Bristol but might be heading over to London on the 29th so could drop in on the way. I'll let you know if I do. Also, Flitwick to Bracknell - that's a hell of a commute. And I thought Bristol to Glastonbury was bad...
I'm in Bracknell Tues-Thurs normally - I work from home the other days. If you did want to pick up from Bracknell obviously let me know in advance so I bring the item.

Yeah the commute when I do it is horrible - M1 / M25 / M4 - the trinity of evil in my life.