Bastards...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jon Massey, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Jon Massey

Jon Massey Active Member

Woke up to this yesterday morning. Smash-and-grab, they took an empty WD external hard drive box (ha!) and the Zyxel switch I got in the deal from this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...28f-24x-1g-4x-10g-switch-£68-crazy-deal.11228 (it'd sat on my desk at work for ages!). I'm only the switch and a £75 glass replacement excess down so it could have been much worse. Still, decidedly dischuffed!

If anyone sees a XGS4528F for sale in the Bristol area any time soon please give me a nod

Attached Files:

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Jon - I am not giving you a Like because I am not condoning burglary. With that said, that is a total bummer. The more annoying part (to me) is that you have to spend the time getting a new window (which probably costs more than that switch). Being out £150 or so is bad but it could be much worse.

I had a colleague at my old firm who had left her briefcase in her car in San Francisco. Although the firm's laptops are encrypted, that was a difficult process since there was confidential material on the notebook.

3. Jon Massey

Jon Massey Active Member

You're right it was really disruptive - was supposed to be doing some model validation work with a group of four people (and 36 cows...) which I've had to reschedule for next week.

4. smithse79

smithse79 Active Member

Let's hope the cows can reschedule.

On a more serious note, sorry about the break-in man. Glad is was all piddly-shit, but I understand the annoyance all too well.

5. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Really cows or is that a pejorative term describing a group of people?

6. epicurean

epicurean Active Member

I feel for you Jon. Hope everything else is alright with your car

7. Jon Massey

Jon Massey Active Member

Really cows! I'm the lead developer on a dairy cow health imaging project. I'm very privileged to work with just over a thousand lovely ladies (see attached) across three farms. My cow-orkers on the other hand...

Attached Files:

8. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

If you can make it to Bracknell (where I work in the week) or Flitwick (where I live) do you want to buy mine - same price as the deal? I only bought it for a spare and I already have a Microtek 10GB enabled switch as a spare anyway (have to figure out how to apply VLANS on it if I had absolutely had to). Its still in the wrapping.

9. Jon Massey

Jon Massey Active Member

That's really kind of you. I live in Bristol but might be heading over to London on the 29th so could drop in on the way. I'll let you know if I do. Also, Flitwick to Bracknell - that's a hell of a commute. And I thought Bristol to Glastonbury was bad...

10. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

I'm in Bracknell Tues-Thurs normally - I work from home the other days. If you did want to pick up from Bracknell obviously let me know in advance so I bring the item.

Yeah the commute when I do it is horrible - M1 / M25 / M4 - the trinity of evil in my life.