ATX12V vs EPS12V dilemma for Supermicro board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kubn2

Sep 15, 2018
Hey,
(I hope my post is in the correct place if not please move it to the correct category)
I'm in the middle of collecting parts for my tower server and as per the motherboard manual (supermicro X10DRH-C) it requires 2x 8pin CPU connectors which are NOT ATX12V but EPS12V.
I found Corsair RM750x to have two EPS12V connectors at least that's what they say on their website: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA#tab-tech-specs
However I found a topic on another forum from 2011 where someone used a different supermicro motherboard and Corsair Builder Series CX600 and turned out that it doesn't work as it was ATX12V however on their website corsair still list this PSU to have one EPS12V connector: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Builder-Series™-CX600/p/CMPSU-600CX#tab-tech-specs

So I'm a little bit worried what if again Corsair list newer PSU like RM750x to have EPS12V but instead they have ATX12V?
Is there ANY way to tell for sure that this PSU has EPS and this doesn't?
If RM750x doesn't have EPS or it's not possible to tell for sure, can you advise me on any other PSU that for sure have two EPS12V 8pin CPU connectors?

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you really care about getting answers you will try to format/make your post more readable :D

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
If you have 8-pin power connectors on the board for CPUs, EPS12V and ATX12V are identical.

As far as I remember, ATX12V is technically only 4-pin, and EPS12V is 8-pin (2x ATX12V in one connector) or something like that
Some PSUs ATX12V connectors which are split into 2 4-pin connector to allow compatibility with older boards.

I would be very surprised if the Corsair PSU didn't work with the X10DRH-C

I've used many different Supermicro Dual Socket boards with normal consumer PSUs many times and it has always worked

Reactions: kubn2 and RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Modular powersupplies and especially good ones from various brands all feature multiple EPS12V cables.
The mentioned CX600 is not Modular, and a low end piece of crap that is just "80 plus" certified.

In my own experience with Corsair RM 650i, HX850i, and other modular EVGA Powersupplies, they all have at least two EPS12V to power such systems.

Reactions: kubn2

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
it depends on the power supply. But in my supermicro board (x10dal-i), it has two EPS 8 pin connectors.

Some PSU's only have 4 pin ATX
some PSU's have 8pin EPS, or 4+4pin ATX (these are equivalent and can fit in the 8pin, it's fine)
some PSU's have an 8pin plus another 4pin
And some PSU's have two 8pin

If you want to live on the wild side, my supermicro board would boot with less than both 8 pin connectors plugged in. I wouldn't want to exceed teh load of what the cables could handle, though.

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
Don't worry too much about it. I suspect the person in that other forum didn't know what they were doing. As stated, EPS12V is basically two 4-pin ATX 12V connectors stuck together. Some motherboards (Asus springs to mind) would work if you plugged an ATX 12V connector into the correct half of the EPS socket provided your processor wasn't too power hungry.

I've used CX series PSU's on a slew of DP motherboards without problems - but the modular ones which were a step above the fully wired ones. On Corsair modular PSU's, the PSU pinouts for PCI-E and EPS12V are the same so you can source an additional EPS12V modular cable and use a spare PCI-E power socket to give you a second EPS12V connector.

I've done this with CXM, CSM and TXM supplies with Iwill, Asus and Supermicro motherboards without issue and I generally run them 24x7 running distributed computing projects in the idle time - so they are always loaded. The reason to go for higher end PSU's is generally when efficiency or cooling are constrained - heat is what really ages PSU's and kills the cheaper ones.