Atheros AR8171 NIC on inexpensive board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Performance concerns with Realtec NICs are well documented on this forum and on other sites so I wonder whether similar performance (or functionality/reliability) concerns exists for the Atheros AR8171 NIC. I am considering a mini itx board with this NIC as a very inexpensive computing node. I prefer Intel NICs but the board is so inexpensive that I cannot expect that.

My research suggests that people are able to get nearly 1Gb throughput from this NIC and that modern (2015+) versions of Linux have drivers for it.

Any concerns to the contrary would be appreciated - thanks
Dave

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'd imagine ESXi would be a pain as is troubleshooting. But if it's really cheap and just a Linux node then may be worth a try.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
My research suggests that people are able to get nearly 1Gb throughput from this NIC and that modern (2015+) versions of Linux have drivers for it.
If you can't max out GBE with a modern realtek (e.g., E/G) on a modern platform you're doing something wrong. It's not 2003.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Is there a reason that intel AIC nic's aren't an option? they're usually fairly cheap on ebay for single or dual port cards.