ASUS Z10PA-D8 - Dual Socket 2011-3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
A company here in Malta got busted due to Covid-19 restrictions and 16GB 2133Mhz ECC RDimms were sold for 15EUR.

cktm57

Mar 1, 2021
Hi everyone!
Faced an unexpected problem while installing two M .2 cards. The first of them, Samsung 970 pro 512 gb (2280), is installed in the pci-e via an adapter, the second, Samsung 128 gb (2242), is installed in a regular place on the board. Each of the cards is individually defined in the BIOS and works fine, but when two cards are installed, only one of them is detected (2242). It is right?

fishrman

Dec 3, 2021
Hello,

Can the asmb8 be replaced by asmb9 ? or maybe asmb10? I have seen asmb9 in quite a good price.. I would like to get html5 support and not the JavaPain...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
ASMB10-iKVM Manual says:

System requirements:
- ASUS server motherboards with Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) connector
- LAN (RJ-45) port fo rserver management

there is a ASMB8 connector an a dedicated LAN port on the Z10PA-D8

further in the Manual:

see www.asus.com for an updated list of server motherboards that support the ASMB10 iKVM

but i have not found anything there...

fishrman

Dec 3, 2021
but i have not found anything there...
Thanks for your reply.
Exactly. I have been doing a google research before putting the question on the forum, but found no info on this being replaceable.
I hardly believe no one tried replacing these ;)

fishrman

Dec 3, 2021
One more question... I am a new owner of the z10pa-d8....
Has anybody of you tried installing two Noctuas NH-U12S or two NH-U14S. Will they fit a two CPU config ?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Hello,

Can the asmb8 be replaced by asmb9 ? or maybe asmb10? I have seen asmb9 in quite a good price.. I would like to get html5 support and not the JavaPain...
I don't want to go on record to say that it can't be done, but I do believe it is very unlikely to work.

As I recall the ASMB modules are really just the small flash chips to hold the firmware for the BMC controller which is on the motherboard itself (including DRAM for the BMC).

Asus do not make the software for the BMC themselves, rather they rely on a 3rd party (probably AMI) to make the firmware, which in turn is usually updated when using a new generation BMC controllers (ASMB8 appears to be for Aspeed AST2400, ASMB9 for AST2500 and ASMB10 for AST2600).
As you can't exactly update the BMC itself, I doubt a newer firmware would work on an older BMC, for one because older BMC's are slower and often have less RAM attached.

If you have skills, then perhaps you could have a look at porting openbmc to your motherboard, but I am not sure they even implement KVM, so perhaps that is not even useful (would be pretty cool though :) ).

heromode

May 25, 2020
I bought one of these for 100 EUR back in the days of the OP, only now got to power it up first time, with one E5-2680v4 attached.

First boot success, everything seems fine. I'm only in BIOS now, no boot device or anything else attached. I have 2nd 2680v4 waiting to be installed, but quick question,

I have a Corsair RM550x attached. The mobo has TWO EATX 8-pin connector's, but the PSU has only one 8 pin output + cable. The manual says:

"DO NOT forget to connect the 24+8+8 power plugs when using 105W or above CPU; otherwise the system will not boot up"

The 2680v4 is a 120W TDP CPU. Am i gonna need a better PSU? Just asking quickly, i won't have time to test with 2nd CPU tonight, just the fact it boots on first try is great news for me..

Reactions: Samir

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The 2680v4 is a 120W TDP CPU. Am i gonna need a better PSU?
should be enough if you don't want to attach any good GPU Card.
if the two 8pin are interconnected only one 8Pin is enough but all connectors have to be ideal then.
Note: not all 550 PSU will be good enough, but the the Corsair is.

heromode

May 25, 2020
should be enough if you don't want to attach any good GPU Card.
if the two 8pin are interconnected only one 8Pin is enough but all connectors have to be ideal then.
Note: not all 550 PSU will be good enough, but the the Corsair is.
Thx for reply.

Ah the two connectors are parallel, got it. Manual says "Minimum requirement of ATX power supply 1) 500W 2) All +12V output > 20A"

I might add a Quadro P2000/2200 later to play with KVM passthrough or some kind of VM to client graphics encoded streaming, or whatever, but now i realize the 2nd 8-pin connector is just for more current. Will monitor with Kill-A-Watt etc.

Again humble thanks for the fast reply. I'm happy and surprised it just booted without a hitch first time. Have it installed in a BeQuiet pure base 500 desktop case with 2x BeQuiet Dark rock slim coolers. Gonna be a pretty compact 28 core system (i'll disable HT because real men only need real cores)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Ah the two connectors are parallel, got it.
"if" only if they interconnected, means you have to make sure ok ?
if you have a 8 pin that can be slitted in two 4pin, put one in the first 8pin and the second in the other 8pin of the motherboard.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
All of my boards populated with 2 CPU's did not boot with one 8-pin connected only. I had to use both connectors. Even populated with two 2630L's.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I know. Therefore I mentioned that nothing worked for me with one 8-pin only. And his PSU has one 8-pin only. Usually everything > E5 2630v4 shall not work.

Sometimes I had lick with bios 3202 to get things going not working with bios 3801.

heromode

May 25, 2020
All of my boards populated with 2 CPU's did not boot with one 8-pin connected only. I had to use both connectors. Even populated with two 2630L's.
I only have 1 CPU attached atm. But there's no extra cable with the PSU that fits, only GPU cables with 6+2 pins.. so to do it 'right' do i need a new PSU, or is there some hack to use the GPU cables etc?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But there's no extra cable with the PSU that fits, only GPU cables with 6+2 pins.
you need just a second EPS cable, the PCIe connector on the PSU is the same. Both CPU & PCIe are at the same +12V Rail.
second you can change the GPU 6+2 to a EPS one, but the extractor Tool and the miniFit connector costs more than a Cable.
but then you don't have a cable for a GPU.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
you need just a second EPS cable, the PCIe connector on the PSU is the same. Both CPU & PCIe are at the same +12V Rail.
second you can change the GPU 6+2 to a EPS one, but the extractor Tool and the miniFit connector costs more than a Cable.
but then you don't have a cable for a GPU.
Great, thanks for help. I do have a Corsair RM750 in another box that doesn't need that much power, just checked and it doesn't come with a EPS cable either, but it would be better to use a 750 for this system, so i'll be ordering a EPS cable then i guess.. and switch out the PSU to a 750

First look, 2€ from covid locked down china, 12€ from Germany.. Great another 10€ wasted if i want it fast

Edit oh @RolloZ170 already posted a link, thankyou.

Last edited: