ASUS Z10PA-D8 - Dual Socket 2011-3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

noel82

Jan 31, 2021
Hi everyone, following the thread from today on!
I bought this mainboard from the same seller, I'm waiting for cpu and ram modules to arrive (starting with 1 cpu and 32gb of memory).

Just a quick question: did anyone try e5 2683 v3 with 2x 16GB DDR4 REG ECC Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB memory modules?

I was going with v4 cpus (following the compatibility sheets on asus website) but luckily I ended up with a first e5 2683 v3.

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
@Codename_Pineapple Probably not, the seller sent me two defective boards and said he can't exchange them as they're sold out.

Curiously, he first said that all the boards are tested before dispatch (obviously a lie with how many defective ones turned up in reports from other users here), then when mentioning it to him, he agreed to exchange them.

If anyone needs some I/O Shields, i have a few left that i have no use for now (shipped from EU).

jkmelbs

Feb 17, 2021
i thought mine was defective (no post), but i went thru the manual and toggled every jumper in turn, especially where it was set to the non-default selection according to the manual. It's always good to reset everything back to default when you get a used mobo especially when you dont get it as a working combo with ram and a cpu

turning off the dimm thermal sensing pin seems to have solved it (its on by default). It was triggering even without any ram sticks in so either the sensor is bad or it expects some kind of temp feedback from the ram?? im not sure i couldnt find any other info

now it boots into the bios with a pcie v/card and correctly reports the ram/cpu etc. I haven't gotten around to fully populating it yet

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
@jkmelbs Would you please tell me what settings you're running with? I tried all the jumpers and no luck, once after CMOS clear i got a Q-Code 19 for a split second, but that was it.

jkmelbs

Feb 17, 2021
@knorps here you go

setup
e5-2600v3 cpu in slot 1
1x8 ddr4 ram stick in B1 (i switched it from A1 w/o it making any difference when i was testing but now its under the cpu cooler so cant get to it)
nvidia m2000 in pcie5

what i did. Nothing made any difference until i turned off DIMMTRIP1

CLRTC1 - clear cmos (2,3) then (1,2)
VGA_SW1 - set to disabled (2,3)
LAN_SW1, LAN_SW - toggled both off then back on
ME_RCVR1 - toggled to 2,3 then back to 1,2
DIMMTRIP1 - disabled (2,3) << this was my issue

RAID_SEL1 - default (1,2)
SMART_PSU1 - default (2,3)

the undocumented ones

INTRUSION1 - jumpered
IPM_SW - (1,2)
PCH_MFG1 - (1,2)
DOM1_PWR1 - (1,2)

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
I guess i'm shit outta luck...tried it with every of your suggested settings but there isn't even a flash of the QLED 2x7segment display. The BMC apparently starts up, at least the heartbeat LED starts blinking after a while.

jkmelbs

Feb 17, 2021
Nothing spins up? I didn’t have anything on the lcd either

just the standby and heartbeat led blinking

my fans would start then everything shut off instantly

i took a look at the error log in the bios...lots of temp errors over the years. I think these have had a very hard life and I’m kinda hesitant to build a system off mine

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
The CPU fan spins up, but other than that, nothing is happening. How long does it take your board to display the POST screen?

I've ordered a Gigabyte MW70-3S0 as well as a SM X10DRi as a replacement already.

jkmelbs

Feb 17, 2021
Lol I was meant to go buy 2nd hand dri tomorrow but I’ll call that off of now

it takes ages, but it makes the normal booting pc noises and the lcd shows all the various stages

does anything different happen with no ram or no cpu? Just the mobo atx power connected?

Last edited:

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
With no RAM, same behaviour (CPU fan spins). Without CPU, fan doesn't spin.

Why don't you buy the DRi now? It's a better board, no?

jkmelbs

Feb 17, 2021
Oh I had the same behaviour on another x99 board. It was ram incompatibility

the fans would start up, the cpu would heat up, but it never reached post.

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
I've tried 5 different types of modules (REG ECC) that work perfectly on any other Asus x99 board, if it was incompatible RAM it should show error 53.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I've tried 5 different types of modules (REG ECC) that work perfectly on any other Asus x99 board, if it was incompatible RAM it should show error 53.
There is no 53 post code on this board. If the Z10PA-D8 has issues with the ram it stays in the b-section ... here always b7 if posting at all with incompatible RAM.

DingoDango

Dec 20, 2020
Portugal
1613671301274.png
So..., I got this motherboard running with a pair of artic freezer 34 co, and I' m using proxmox (for the first time...) (I have the mem modules (128gb) from the asus pdf, that is highlighted in yellow on the pdf...), 960gtx strix, i350 4 port ethernet.
1613671429710.png
I ran this motherboard a ~week with only one cpu and then setup the 2nd cpu... after that I updated kvm firmware and bios without problems.. all jumpers were in the default configuration. I only switched the lsi to intel jumper... I´m not using raid.. dont know if It was a smart decision...

After installing cpu 2, something went wrong.. I also replace 3 fan cases.. and rearranged cables.. (8 ou 9 disks and ssds..) dont know why but I cant power on the motherboard using the case button... I´m using KVM to power it on.. maybe some did not put all cables ok.. dont know.. It seems ok to me..either way...

I believe cpu 2 is running 10C hotter than cpu 1... hum... EDIT: well its only ~4 to 5 on idle..

No much experience on proxmox is the FSYNC value ok? It seems low compared to some web searchs... and when ppl are complaning they have almost the same output on fsyncs, I have a linux VM and I passed the disks from command line to the VM hardware conf, maybe I need to pass the controller directly to improve perf inside the VM... also had to fight to passthrough the gpu... well still learning as I go...
1613672299993.png
If anyone is running proxmox or some other thing and has some perf tweaks I would appreciate the troubles ;)... sysctl confs.. bios tweaks...

Its working... but I get the feeling that something is holding it back on performance...

Corvinon

Mar 16, 2021
Hello
I was looking for a double socket motherboard, and by chance I came across this one on ebay, I bought it in the second batch that it put on sale.
I am happy with the purchase.
Mounted with 2x2630v3 and 64gb to 2133 (1866), nvme 500gb Samsung via pci-e x8.
For me, as a work station, I am left over.
105 euro motherboard
92 euros 64gb ddr4
and 87 euros for processors.
All the best

Reactions: gb00s

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
Hello
I was looking for a double socket motherboard, and by chance I came across this one on ebay, I bought it in the second batch that it put on sale.
I am happy with the purchase.
Mounted with 2x2630v3 and 64gb to 2133 (1866), nvme 500gb Samsung via pci-e x8.
For me, as a work station, I am left over.
105 euro motherboard
92 euros 64gb ddr4
and 87 euros for processors.
All the best
where did you get 64gb for just 92 euros?

Corvinon

Mar 16, 2021
Hello Alfx
Well, it was something similar to the motherboard, a boy had several batches of these and another of different speeds and sizes.
I bid 105 euros for the lot (8x8gb), with all the luck in the world, the bid before mine reached 92 euros, so for 92 and something, I took them.
I think something like that will be difficult to repeat.Captura de pantalla 2021-03-16 a las 18.55.08.png