ASUS IPMI Expansion Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have another W11 install and the same happens, intel inf all up to date, windows update shows nothing.
if you want to learn a foreign language you have learn to speak first.
there are some unresolved Clipboard Image (4).jpgdependices

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
if you want to learn a foreign language you have learn to speak first.
there are some unresolved View attachment 26270dependices
I know which why I tried another install of W11, clean, resolved all dependencies and still IPMI interface was the only device without a driver.
Also tried on a Linux debian distro and sensors-detect did not detect the IPMI interface either.

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
the IPMI Card gets power over the USB cable. make sure there is USB power in standby mode, BIOS enable wake on mouse or something else.
Got the voltages to appear but there's defo some compatibilty issue with my ProArt Z690. "invalide or unsupported hardware version" - I'm assuming the BMC isnt working as expected? Everything is connected inc the BMC header.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
compatibilty issue with my ProArt Z690. "invalide or unsupported hardware version" - I'm assuming the BMC isnt working as expected?
funny conclusion. the BMC is reporting this. what you see (WebGUI) is served to you by the BMC.

grad

Jan 9, 2021
This card being compatible only (?) with a couple of motherboards is a bummer. I had hoped to get this for an old Asus Z9PE-D8 WS (the remote video of the onboard ASMB6-iKVM doesn't work whatever I do) and a Asus Rampage V Extreme (I have an external piKVM there but I don't like it, my VMs interfere with the piKVM's HDMI, I can not monitor anything unless the machine is turned on, can't stand the piKVM's fan when the system is off, etc).

I might give ASRock Rack PAUL a shot IF I ever find one..

These things are extremely useful and important. It's not as if everyone lives in USA or China where IPMI motherboards and server CPUs can be found for pennies across the corner.

Reactions: xenago

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
xenago posted this, can't thank you enough!

Unfortunately, double-clicking the device in Explorer tries to open the site in HTTP, not HTTPS, and the web server doesn’t seem to redirect, so users should go straight to https://<ip>/#login to access the UI.

Reactions: xenago

unti20

Nov 30, 2023
That's the USB cable. The cable I showed you in the pic is what I need to know. Is it BMC or SPI or both cables the same so it doesnt matter? If you have the cables please can you tell me which one I have from the pic? Sorry, when I say BIOS, I mean BMC firmware - where can I download the latest BMC firmware, it's not on the Asus support page.
Hi all, I´m new to this forum, hope you can help me.

I got my Asus Z690-F Gaming Wifi Board yesterday and connected the Expansion Card correctly how shown in the manual.

I got 3 problems now:

1) The "Srv Mgmt" tab or anything like that shows not in the BIOS.
I´m on the latest BIOS - another BIOS for the Board when using IPMI Expansion Card is not noted, so I guess I have the right one ( ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 2802 )

2) I got a Driver issue in the device manager tab under Win Server 2022. The AMI Remote NDIS6 based Device Driver is correctly installed and the ASPEED Graphics Family VGA Driver too. Only the IPMI-Interface Driver with Vendor ID (\VEN_1A03&DEV_2402&SUBSYS_24021A03&REV_01\5&23877581&0&0800E2) can´t be found by me. Searched everywhere. On the Asus website it´s not mentioned (expansion card site or board site).

3) Login through the webinterface is not possible. I got access through the IP (DHCP lease), but when I want to login with the default credentials (admin/admin) it says "Login failed".

Didn´t find anything on the asus support page or the faq or the manual.
Only ipmitool commands.

But here I got only an error when I execute any of the commands....
for Example reset the BMC:

>ipmitoolx64.exe mc reset cold
-> Error Message: "Unable to open ISM driver".

I think the only way to "factory reset" the bloody thing is to flash the firmware with Yafuflash (provided by Asus) - but I don´t know how to use this - after this the firmware normally has to restore the default credits?

I´m lost here.... hope anyone solved this puzzle yet since 2022....

Thanks!

Attachments

unti20

Nov 30, 2023
OK, I digged trough all informations I could possible get...

And hopefully someone needs this info too:

ASUS user manual is false written.
The Default Credits for the " ASMB10-iKVM " can be (admin/admin) OR (Administrator/superuser)!!!!!!
I found this by digging through a hidden articel on the Asus Homepage for the specific iKVM Model above....

Another specific problem are the drivers.
You can download the VGA Driver on the ASPEED Homepage (Model AST2600), but you still lack the "IPMI_Enumerator_Driver".
This driver can found on the Asus page under "more" and only in the Win10 Tab... everywhere else it´s hidden....
And then you need the NDIS Network Driver, this can be found too on the Website...

So the relevant files you need:
- VGA ASPEED Driver
- IPMI Enumerator Driver (V1.0.0.0)
- LAN AMI TSD Driver

All 3 should work with every AST2600 or AST2500 Model - so it probably would work even with a ASRock Paul - because it´s literally the same...)

Now I´m a step forward - my main goal (Remote KVM + Shutdown/Restart/Start) is complete, thats working.

But the BMC Header does not get any information about the board.
I upgraded to the latest BMC Firmware - double checked the user manual for installing and correct jumper position, everything is set fine.

But still no SRVMGMT Tab in BIOS.
But now via IPMItool you can reach and restart the BMC...
You even got infos from the module, but still "no sync" to the motherboard.

Does maybe smb. know what I could try?
I don´t think Asus Supp. Hotline could help, but would give it a try.....^^.

Attachments

SpecCZE

Dec 4, 2023
Hi all,

I am joing your adventure with the Asus IPMI card.
I was lucky as my default password is admin/admin.

I have installed all the drivers mentioned above, after finding the Enumerator driver I don't get error in device manager.
My current state is basically the same as your @unti20. Power controll works OK, so as remote KVM. I was able to get some voltages 3.3V, 3.3VSB, 5V and 12V. I believe this is information shared via SPI on TMP header. I didnt get more information about the motherboard or anythink. One tip for you may be to check the TPM setting in BIOS - I believe it should be set to external.

My testbench is:
  • Intel i7 13700
  • Asus PRIME Z690-P D4
  • Kingston KF3200C16D4/62GX
  • NVIDIA RTX4070Ti.
I would be happy to get more info or to cooperate.

UPDATE:
There is file in Manual&Document -> Compatibility - Compatible_Model_List.pdf. My motherboard isn't on the list, anyway there should be "otherwise, only one-time information will be captured on the client side during system bootup" I don't think this is happening anyway.

Last edited:

unti20

Nov 30, 2023
@SpecCZE
Yeah the Voltages are the voltages from the IPMI Card itself.
My Board (ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F Gaming Wifi) is on the full comp. list.
I intentional bought it because of full use of this IPMI Card.... I´m really sad that it´s not working out of the box.
Overall I´m disappointed that the full function is not given or maybe given, but not working well or like intended....
Still do not get any BIOS Info or tab with functions to the IPMI card....

In the future I now gladly know this card can be used (or any of this cards with this chipset) to remote kvm into it and control power.... that was my main goal, but if I had knew this, then I would not have changed my board because of this....

Next week I got a few day free, if I have some free time and motivation I try contacting asus support hotline via phone.
Don´t think they could help, but I would give it a try^^

Will come back for feedback^^.

Lyle_op47147

Dec 17, 2023
Hi all, I´m new to this forum, hope you can help me.

I got my Asus Z690-F Gaming Wifi Board yesterday and connected the Expansion Card correctly how shown in the manual.

I got 3 problems now:

1) The "Srv Mgmt" tab or anything like that shows not in the BIOS.
I´m on the latest BIOS - another BIOS for the Board when using IPMI Expansion Card is not noted, so I guess I have the right one ( ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 2802 )

2) I got a Driver issue in the device manager tab under Win Server 2022. The AMI Remote NDIS6 based Device Driver is correctly installed and the ASPEED Graphics Family VGA Driver too. Only the IPMI-Interface Driver with Vendor ID (\VEN_1A03&DEV_2402&SUBSYS_24021A03&REV_01\5&23877581&0&0800E2) can´t be found by me. Searched everywhere. On the Asus website it´s not mentioned (expansion card site or board site).

3) Login through the webinterface is not possible. I got access through the IP (DHCP lease), but when I want to login with the default credentials (admin/admin) it says "Login failed".

Didn´t find anything on the asus support page or the faq or the manual.
Only ipmitool commands.

But here I got only an error when I execute any of the commands....
for Example reset the BMC:

>ipmitoolx64.exe mc reset cold
-> Error Message: "Unable to open ISM driver".

I think the only way to "factory reset" the bloody thing is to flash the firmware with Yafuflash (provided by Asus) - but I don´t know how to use this - after this the firmware normally has to restore the default credits?

I´m lost here.... hope anyone solved this puzzle yet since 2022....

Thanks!
1) Call ASUS to get SPECIAL BIOS , which support more function to IPMI card in BIOS side .
2) Call ASUS to get SPECIAL card driver too
3) Ask ASUS how to reset your IPMI card password, my default password is "admin/admin"
I have no idea why is it different
(The command to reset BMC varies from device or company.)

mc reset cold -> This command is for BMC reboot, not for reset BMC settings or reset password.

SpecCZE

Dec 4, 2023
Hi everbody,

as we have somehow made the card work, I can no longer find it available. Do you know any possible source? I was happy to find that card, but if it is not possible to buy more,...