ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 and Dell R820

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ryan Knightley

Jul 15, 2017
Hello All,

Been a bit of a lurker for a while on here, I had a question I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to. I have a Dell R820 and the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16. As of right now I have just a single nvme drive populated into the card and another on a separate card. I have the two of these running in RAID 0 which is all fine and dandy but I would like to now expand my array. Does anyone know if the R820 supports pcie bifurcation? I haven't been able to find any information in regards to this so far. Thanks!

All the best,

Ryan

keasley

Apr 21, 2016
"I don't think any servers prior to the latest 14th generation support configuration of slot bifurcation. You can review the available BIOS options in the system manual on the support page." Per below.

Dell Community

Ryan Knightley

Jul 15, 2017
Hey guys, keasley is correct. I was unable to get the card working as a raid card as a result of the motherboard not supporting pcie bifurcation. It would need an onboard plx chip to work in the 820 from what I understand . There are a few offerings that are a about triple the current price that do come with the plx chip, so I may purchase one of those for the r820 and move the Asus card to a new workstation build when the time comes.