ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 and Dell R820

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Ryan Knightley, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Ryan Knightley

Ryan Knightley New Member

Hello All,

Been a bit of a lurker for a while on here, I had a question I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to. I have a Dell R820 and the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16. As of right now I have just a single nvme drive populated into the card and another on a separate card. I have the two of these running in RAID 0 which is all fine and dandy but I would like to now expand my array. Does anyone know if the R820 supports pcie bifurcation? I haven't been able to find any information in regards to this so far. Thanks!

All the best,

Ryan

2. Gnommon

Gnommon New Member

Ryan, did you ever solve this ? Can you boot from the asus hyper ?

3. keasley

keasley New Member

"I don't think any servers prior to the latest 14th generation support configuration of slot bifurcation. You can review the available BIOS options in the system manual on the support page." Per below.

Dell Community

4. Ryan Knightley

Ryan Knightley New Member

Hey guys, keasley is correct. I was unable to get the card working as a raid card as a result of the motherboard not supporting pcie bifurcation. It would need an onboard plx chip to work in the 820 from what I understand . There are a few offerings that are a about triple the current price that do come with the plx chip, so I may purchase one of those for the r820 and move the Asus card to a new workstation build when the time comes.

5. Gnommon

Gnommon New Member

6. Gnommon

Gnommon New Member