Asus 10G switch @ CES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lhartje

Jan 6, 2016
Will be interesting to see pricing and 10G port count... might a cost effective option for home? Although I wonder what Asus considers "enterprise-level" [hopefully not the noise level]. :)
(long time lurker of the $550 10Gb thread and waiting for a non-jet-engine 10G switch for home)

XG-D2008 10-Gigabit switch

The ASUS XG-D2008 is the first 10-Gigabit (10G) network switch with enterprise-level performance and consumer-friendly pricing designed for gaming, home office, and small business use. The XG-D2008 features easy plug-and-play installation, 10G RJ-45 ports for full compatibility with new and existing network devices, and enhanced performance for bandwidth-hungry users.

ASUS Press Room

Reactions: Andre Blumberg

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't think I'd buy at 10G ASUS switch after having used some of their lower end networking products.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
in a small home enviroment if you could use nic teaming on a NAS/close desktop and have an AC router with a 10gb port this could have some applications but i can't think of many beyond that...

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I like the 10Gbase-T but if I am doing a small installation, that options like the D-Link DGS-150-28x we reviewed or the Mikrotik CRS226 have some miles on them already.
Any chance on a review of the Dell X4012? I was ready to buy one for my offices hyper-v cluster as a data switch until one of our higher ups forced cisco equipment because he "knew someone" and got a better financing deal

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
Why would they bother adding 2 10Gb ports to that if the next step for consumer and SOHO is going to be Nbase-T (2.5/5)?

While I would have no interest (too many Asus product failures for me), I would have expected a more useful product to be a 8-10 port Nbase-T switch...

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
Did this ever make it to the market? Not seen it anywhere.

I kind of wanted one for the TV bench. Having a bunch of 1G devices (htpc, TV, console, other random AV crap..) sharing a very oversubbed 1G uplink is just wrong you know. ;)

Last edited:

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I believe there are issues for 10G for the consumers. First off, 10GBase-T NIC's are still expensive(but so are new 10GBase-SR). CAT cable quality is a major issue at these speed, there is a lot of cables out there today that struggles with a gigabit line. There is a new released standard called NBASE-T which I believe will be the standard most consumers will be using, as it will auto degrade your connection if your cabling/length isn't good enough. Most people should be able to push 2.5Gbps on bad cables at shorter ranges. Another issue the power requirements for those copper cables.

In my opinion, unless you already have laid out CAT5 or CAT6a cabling in your house, SFP+ / fiber cables could be a good investment. I believe existing 850nm fiber cables with LC connector should work fine with a 25G SFP28, but someone with proper knowledge should confirm this.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I'm not seeing a big push towards 10G for consumers anytime soon. NBASE-T is also slowly rolling out and is targeted for large access point installations at this time. Yes you can right now buy Startech.com's NBASE-T adapter but it is not cheap. WiFi is just getting faster and faster and it is where all the money is right now. Most consumers don't want the mess with cables.
And if you are already spending a lot of money on NICs you don't want 2.5G or 5G linerates. You want to jump direct to 10G. So just because of that I don't see NBASE-T getting traction in the consumer market unless someone manages to create a NIC chipset that almost cost nothing.

Reactions: BackupProphet

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
Patrick [or anyone], do you happen to have any contacts at Asus who might be able to shed some light on a release date for this switch? An internet search makes it seem like the product is dead.

I've tried reaching out but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I can send a note when I get back to the US. My sense is that the market for this one dried up as bigger networking players came to market with their offerings.