Asrock Rack Epyc Rome/Milan and Threadripper Pro motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Provantage has the quirky ITX asrock rack Epyc Rome/Milan motherboard for $304

They have a few more variants of the same generation of boards available but they are all "special order", eg:

Threadripper pro WRX80d8-2t $474 PROVANTAGE: ASRock Inc WRX80D8-2T Asrock MB WRX80D8-2T AMD WRX80 Socket SP3 LGA4094 MAX128GB DDR4 ATX
ROMED6u-2l2T $344: PROVANTAGE: ASRock Inc ROMED6U-2L2T Asrock MB ROMED6U-2L2T AMD Epyc 7002 7001 SP3 SoC Micro-ATX

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Lol that itx board is funny. You basically flush all the pros for epyc down the toilet for an itx form factor. The entire point of epyc is all the sweet sweet I/o.
It does have the following so you could hook up a lot of fast storage to that board.

PCIe Expansion Slots (SLOT7 close to CPU)
PCIe x 16​
SLOT7: PCIe4.0 x16
M.2​
1 M-key (PCIe4.0 x4/SATA); Form factor: 2280
Other PCIe Expansion Connectors
Others​
2 low-profile SlimSAS (PCIe4.0 x8 or 8 SATA 6Gb/s)
4 SlimSAS (PCIe4.0 x8)
SATA/SAS Storage
PCH Built-in Storage​
AMD EPYC 7003/ 7002 (17 SATA 6Gb/s):
2 low-profile SlimSAS, 1 M.2

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
It does have the following so you could hook up a lot of fast storage to that board.
Yeah but at that point, do you even have SFF anymore?

Saw this thread 25 minutes ago as I'm getting my kid ready for school and just so happened to buy a R7515 which shipped yesterday. Was thinking of ditching the R7515 for this, but you made me realize this wouldnt even be SFF anymore and you are stuck playing with PCIe configuration scenarios in your head the same as with a consumer-based Ryzen ITX. At that point, rather look at Zen 3 5900 OEM or 5950x and balance it in other ways.

No doubt you'll see a few of these in an ITX gamer build heavily overpriced and the e-peen extension.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
That's a lot of SlimSAS, I wonder if they could be converted to a pcie slot in a weird way? Or at least a boatload of NVME drives.

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
That's a lot of SlimSAS, I wonder if they could be converted to a pcie slot in a weird way? Or at least a boatload of NVME drives.
SlimSAS to SFF-8643, 8 lanes, maybe to this? Dont know if it'd run on 8x only but the PCB print would lead me to believe it's a high probability that it does.... but then again, why Small Form Factor? I guess price-wise it's compelling, but the compromises dont justify it for me.

Not to mention that after you spend on the conversions to PCIe and also account for the extra space you'll need on top of the intended Small Form Factor, you're going to likely exceed a normal priced ATX board.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Agree on all the itx comments (might be nice for a 1u server?); just want to point out the micro-atx variants are also on sale but are "special order"

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
I feel like the 64 cores are also of merit...
Lol how they got that board to support almost 300 w TDP cpus is pretty amazing. But yeah if you need lots of cores and no RAM or I/O then this is your horse. Having half the ram slots is kinda a bummer. Does that mean the bandwidth is halved?

The fact that none of these have sold despite being on the forums is pretty telling that this isn't what people are looking for at the price. Now if it goes under $200.....mmmmm yeah I'd prob bite.

Reactions: Sacrilego

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The fact that none of these have sold despite being on the forums is pretty telling that this isn't what people are looking for at the price.
Not too suprising imo, since its on a US based store rather than ebay.

Would probably be sold out if it was ebay with ok global shipping rate.

doppler_shift

Apr 29, 2017
Not too suprising imo, since its on a US based store rather than ebay.

Would probably be sold out if it was ebay with ok global shipping rate.
That and also if you were thinking of using a freight forwarder like Shipito or Stackry or w/e then Provantage happily cancels orders to freight forwarders claiming the items are restricted from global shipping, depending on the item.