Aruba 2920 / Intel X540 NICs not working at 10GB speed?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scp

Aug 5, 2015
I have an Aruba 2920 with the J9732A 10Gb expansion modules, and 3 PCs with the Intel x540 t1 10gb cards. For some reason I simply cannot get this setup to actually work at 10Gb speed. The connections all indicate they are negotiating at 10Gb, but iPerf caps out at 2.5Gb.

Initially I used a standard CAT6 and that was predictably not great - 1.5Gb was the max I saw. So I switched to CAT6A and can get up to 2.5Gb from one PC to another. Still stuck at 1Gb for the 3rd PC.

Is this a cabling issue still - does the CAT6A just not handle 10Gb? Do I need to bump up to CAT8? Did I miss something on the install for the switch, or the Intel Nics?

TIA for anyone that can advise on where to troubleshoot this.

**** Edit - This might be a testing methodology problem. I did manage to pull a 10Gb test with iPerf3 using parallel streams. I suspect maybe my hardware is fine but its not as straight forward as I thought on the real-world use cases.

Last edited: