ARM benchmarks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mojoxer

Jan 22, 2015
Hello. I'm new to the forums here, and I like the Linux-Bench, especially as it's becoming a standard across more and more review sites. I was running the bench on an ARM SBC (Banana Pi) and noticed that the start-up portion of the script checks for and installs GCC-4.6 as the default compiler. That version of GCC is pretty poorly optimized for ARM, with some programs showing a 30-50% speed improvement just changing to GCC-4.7. Are there plans to update things for Linux-Bench 2015, or are you keeping things as-is for comparison sake?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Interesting point, I can definitely look at that portion a bit. Can you tell me which tests you have seen the performance differences in and any optimization flags?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was running the bench on an ARM SBC (Banana Pi) and noticed that the start-up portion of the script checks for and installs GCC-4.6 as the default compiler.
We do have the ability to version Linux-Bench so we can do this. The next version of the web results viewer (@Chuckleb saw a few iterations ago) will be MUCH better and we can filter based on script version.

Just wondering, did it complete the run?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@ linux-bench guys -

Processor info
Motherboard info
NAMD
NBP
STREAM

all not working

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@ linux-bench guys -

Processor info
Motherboard info
NAMD
NBP
STREAM

all not working
Fun... Well I haven't been contributing to Linux-Bench in a while... but now I have a Banana pi incoming... So there is that.
They are ~$40 on amazon btw... @Chuckleb I can punch a hole through my router once I get it setup so we can share it if you don't want to grab your own.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think @Chuckleb has an arm based mini box already :) Happy to sponsor.

BTW - I think two of those at least are issues with some of the binaries. ARM is going to be an issue for those tests. We may have to pre-compile and have an alternate download logic. I am worried we will have to pre-compile a bunch of different versions on the ARM side.

@mojoxer Thank you for the result and feedback. When I did the benchmarking on the Raspberry Pi it took an even longer time.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
@mojoxer

I've grabbed the first ARM chip I had handy (my Raspberry Pi) and ran some tests. I definitely see speed improvements in the C-Ray and the Redis tests, the other ones do not change much. Plus it allowed me to find the programs that are failing (Stream, NAMD, NPB) and I've made jobs for them.

I'll grab faster hardware and be able to develop faster. The 30-36 hour RPi runs are rather slow.

GCC 4.6 = 43261422251323
GCC 4.8 = 00281422416340

I'll have to do some detection and whatnot to properly load the correct libs, this all depends on the upstream providers as well.

On a related note, it made me check my other installs. From my Docker build test environment, it looks like Ubuntu 14.04 defaults to GCC 4.8 so that's good. CentOS is 4.4.7... sigh.

Thanks for bringing it up. We'll get changes into another version at some point in the future here, I have to fix bugs first.

Hello. I'm new to the forums here, and I like the Linux-Bench, especially as it's becoming a standard across more and more review sites. I was running the bench on an ARM SBC (Banana Pi) and noticed that the start-up portion of the script checks for and installs GCC-4.6 as the default compiler. That version of GCC is pretty poorly optimized for ARM, with some programs showing a 30-50% speed improvement just changing to GCC-4.7. Are there plans to update things for Linux-Bench 2015, or are you keeping things as-is for comparison sake?

mojoxer

Jan 22, 2015
Thanks for looking into the issue(s)! Another quick observation: something is keeping UnixBench from recognizing the multiple cores in multi-core ARM chips. I've run the bench on a Banana Pi (2 Cores) and an ODROID-C1 (4 cores) but both times UnixBench only ran the single thread benchmarks. Looking at the logs:

SysInfo (lscpu) reports the correct # of cpus (cores/threads/sockets) in its test.
HardInfo doesn't report the number of cores/cpus.
UnixBench self-reports 0 (zero) CPUs and runs only the single-thread benchmark
C-Ray greps /proc/cpuinfo to find out how many threads to use
Stream greps /proc/cpuinfo
OpenSSL calls nproc
SysBench calls nproc - even through nproc returns the correct number of CPUs/cores, sysbench runs the multi-thread benchmark on one core
REDIS doesn't appear to care about threads/cores
NPB is non-functional, but greps /proc/cpuinfo for cpus/cores
NAMD is non-functional, but greps /proc/cpuinfo for cpus/cores
p7zip does not seem to care

Maybe there needs to be a standardized way of determining the core/cpu count and passing that to the benchmarks, to ensure that all cores are used on the multi-core benchmarks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You should log this at the GitHub page if you can, then you can get updated when I did them.

This was originally developed for x86 so done of the core detection routines are Intel and AMD focused (they both report cores and threads differently). I'll have to spend some time to look at how cores are counted in ARM, especially with the octo-core chips that are really two dual core of different types... I can imagine that being harder to understand.

Great feedback, it adds to the next round of test script... Maybe need to fork an ARM-specific test script as some of the tests are not as relevant. At least detect ARM and adjust accordingly. For example, NPB is using a really large case that would never run on an ARM...

Lastly, there are quite a few more distros on ARM then I was expecting and the ports collection for each. Will have to think how to do this.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe need to fork an ARM-specific test script as some of the tests are not as relevant.
I think I am subscribed. About 1000 non-junk e-mails a day at this point so stuff does go unread.

I am 100% with you. It is actually an awesome experience though in the idea that Intel to ARM in Linux is not an issue at all. I have heard several people tell me "just compile and everything will work the same on ARM"

Reactions: Patriot

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
@mojoxer New version posted, give it a shot. I tested against oDroid and RPi (crashes Rpi at times, need to fix). I've standardized the proc detection into one area and aliased all the calls into it. Can be cleaned up later. I added rudimentary processor detection so that ARM and x86 are different. They each report cores differently. This will work for now and can be made more robust later.

@Patrick - you have version numbers now to add to parser. Also ARM or x86 is listed as well.

Feel free to post bugs in the github.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
I have quite a few ARM devices: ARM Cortex A7, A9, quad core, dual core, from different manufacturers. I began using Linux-Bench and got some results. I see the beta linux-bench site has a way to compare results, is there a way to tag the results correctly and upload them?

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I have quite a few ARM devices: ARM Cortex A7, A9, quad core, dual core, from different manufacturers. I began using Linux-Bench and got some results. I see the beta linux-bench site has a way to compare results, is there a way to tag the results correctly and upload them?
Did the results upload to beta? Do you have links? I'd like to see what you found!