Apple TimeMachine support on Napp-IT with SMB shares?

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by nle, Aug 28, 2017.

1. nle

nle Member

Is there any way to get Apples TimeMachine to work on Napp-IT with SMB shares (OmniOS CE)?

(Any other recommended backup solutions in a Mac only environment?)

2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Can use CCC or rsync onto a ZFS target and snapshot ?
    Time machine otherwise should now work fine on smb but needs to be advertised correctly to allow use.

Time Machine Over SMB Specification

nle likes this.
  3. nle

nle Member

Thanks. I found this older post online that I think I sort of can follow, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the right commands and information from my share.

Any pointers?

I guess I could set up a rsync solution, and maybe that's where it ends up, but I would like a TimeMachine solution if possible. It's easier for the users as well.

4. gea

gea Well-Known Member

TimeMachine is a file copy based backup mechanism like rsync but with versioning. It works best with local disks and AFP shares. It supports now SMB3 but more in a way to hinder it to work with any SMB NAS and to push TimeCapsules.

You can get it working with any NFS/SMB share witch some tweakings. Best out of the box experience would be iSCSI that you can use on a Mac like a local disk.

What I prefer
    - All data is on the ZFS filer with ZFS snaps for versioning. Far superiour to Timemachine and mostly faster with a fast network due the cache options of ZFS. (no local data beside a copy for mobile use)

- I use a small USB disk to clone the bootable system (carbon copy cloner) or optionally do a local backup when needed

But I do hope someone finds a way to have it working without AFP and the NFS/SMB tweakings.
    Time Machine Over SMB Specification

nle and Evan like this.
  5. nle

nle Member

@gea
    What software do you use to copy from macOS to the ZFS. And do you use iSCSI?

A bit more info on my specific needs, if anyone have any input.
    - It's a small design office enviroment, with one ESXi server (with OmniOS + NappIT among others).
    - Mostly all work is happening directly on the server. All work related files are stored there.
    - ZFS snapshots 6 times a day.
    - Currently using CrashPlan to backup (via a Linux VM connected to OmniOS via NFS) offsite.
    - Crashplan is also used to backup local clients once a day (a few iMacs and a laptop). This is just local, not really a need for offsite.

Since CrashPlan is closing down the subscription type we're on (and since they never have gotten off their ass to make a native app), I'm researching how to do our backup the best possible way.

For offsite backup, I've landed on Duplicati stored on Google Apps Drive (since we're already paying for unlimited storage). That seems to work (a few terabytes to go).

But I'm not really sure on the best approach. I sort of like CP "closed system", thats also why TimeMachine would be a good option. Maybe CCC backing up to a sparseimage could be a thing. Not really sure.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  6. gea

gea Well-Known Member

Every solution has its pro and cons

If your active data is on ZFS, you only need to care about backup or replicate ZFS
    no need for Time Machine as this is a backup mechanism for local Mac data and you do not have any.

For backup, you need to backup ZFS data only. Can be offsite or ZFS replication to another pool that you can remove/switch regularly and put it elsewhere.

As you have no active data on OSX, you do not need TimeMachine with its restrictions. I use CarbonCopyCloner to backup a single local OS to an external USB disk. In case of a crash I can boot the external disk and restore.

For our pool installations/ deployment setups we use a bootable Clonezilla USB stick to save/restore an OS setup to a NFS/SMB share.

This is different to applications that want to save data to a local disk ex Adobe Lightroom. In such a case, you need Timemachine or this is a preferred use case of iSCSI where you can use a ZFS Lun like a local disk. You can switch such a disk between clients. For backups it depends if you have created the LU on a file (backup easy) or a zvol (a little more complicated as you need to replicate or zfs send to a file)

nle likes this.