Anyone running Linux on Supermicro EPYC H12?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
Has anyone had any success getting Linux running on a H12 board? I'm on my second H12DSi-NT6 and have had no end of trouble getting Linux running on this damn thing. The OS compatibility table (Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support Home) is pretty sparse. I'm trying to run Ubuntu on a Rome CPU. I've tried multiple versions (20.04, 22.04 & 23.04) and behavior is consistent across the board. The only way I can get into the installer is by passing in *all* of these flags: "acpi=off nolapic irqpoll nomodeset". This basically cripples the system (disables all but one cpu core, disables virtual pic, etc). Anyways, GRUB has issues at the end of installation and the only way I can get it work is dropping out of the installer after the fatal error and running the following:

sudo mount <install root partition> /mnt
sudo mount<new efi partition> /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo modprobe efivars

sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64
sudo grub-install --no-nvram --root-directory=/mnt
sudo chroot /mnt

update-grub
cd /boot/efi/EFI
cp -R ubuntu/* BOOT/
cd BOOT
cp grubx64.efi bootx64.efi

This will give me a bootable install except, I still have to "acpi=off nolapic irqpoll nomodeset" kernel parameters after fully updating the system. I'm currently booting with a single CPU and 2 sticks of ram that went through 3 passes of memtest ok. I did install a Windows server evaluation that seemed to be ok, so I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. If I disable nolapic system kernel panics nearly immediately at start of boot. I'm disabled virtualization and a messed with a million different settings. I'm on latest bios and firmware.

I'm probably going to switch to a Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 at this point, but curious if anyone has Linux running on one of these.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
you mean SM don't had the time to validate with Rome, OK that's highly possible.
Yes, you can't treat those compatibility tables as gospel. CPU support is part of mainline kernel and Ubuntu kernels going back to 16.04 support Rome. Those tables just show what's been tested and known to work. For example, Super Micro has entries on that table where a board shows support for a specific release of CentOS, but not the same release of RHEL. CentOS is the *exact* same source code and is binary compatible with RHEL. To say it works in one and not the other is utter nonsense.

Reactions: gsrcrxsi and nexox

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I've used different ubuntu lts versions (booted via live cds) on h12ssl without problems and the same settings in bios/uefi that I use to install windows server 2022

Reactions: RolloZ170

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
H12SSL-i with Rome CPU and Ubuntu and 23.04 has worked fine for me. No issues, performance is great. 6.2. kernel without any command line options (other than kvm.ignore_msrs=1 and pci_stub.ids= for passthrough cards)

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
How about RHEL clones? do they work?
No, same issue. Have to pass in the same kernel parameters to get into installer (otherwise kernel panics). I'm not sure if it's a board, cpu, or memory issue. Memory passes memtestx86 in the the board. I'd say it has to be the board given that I've tested two different CPUs in a single slot, but one of the CPUs seems to be even more unstable.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
The only other variable is to downgrade BIOS with different AGESA or to try out different CPU.

Maybe some of the readers could lend you CPU for shipping costs and collateral.

Or you can contact Supermicro.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
I ordered new CPUs (same model) and the Gigabyte MZ72-HB0. I'll test the new CPUs in this board once I receive them.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
if windows runs OK i doubt there is a CPU issue.
I was right there with you, which is why I ordered a new board in parallel. However, new CPUs came in today and the damn thing is now working. As I mentioned in the original post, this is my second H12DSi-NT6. The first one wouldn't post or provide power any any fans. I had it turned "on" for about 5 minutes not realizing the CPUs were powered until I felt the heat coming off the heatsinks. Possible that overheating did some damage.

So now I have a very expensive Gigabyte board showing up from China Anyone in the market for a brand new MZ72-HB0?

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
I was right there with you, which is why I ordered a new board in parallel. However, new CPUs came in today and the damn thing is now working. As I mentioned in the original post, this is my second H12DSi-NT6. The first one wouldn't post or provide power any any fans. I had it turned "on" for about 5 minutes not realizing the CPUs were powered until I felt the heat coming off the heatsinks. Possible that overheating did some damage.

So now I have a very expensive Gigabyte board showing up from China Anyone in the market for a brand new MZ72-HB0?
You should RMA that CPU to AMD.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have a H12SSLI and it runs mageia 8 (kernel 5.15) with no problems.
With mageia 9 (kernel 6.4) it boots once then after that doesn't get to a login prompt.
With kubuntu 23.10 (kernel 6.5) I can type in my username/password, but freezes after that.

No issues with a H11SSL running mageia 9.
I suspect there is some kernel issue with 6.4 & 6.5 and the H12SSL-i.

shadowplay0

Apr 13, 2023
I suspect there is some kernel issue with 6.4 & 6.5 and the H12SSL-i.
I'm running Debian Sid (kernel 6.5) on one with no issues. I installed from the Bookworm ISO, which is the 6.1 LTS kernel IIRC.

Are you running an Nvidia card? There was a stretch of time where the nouveau driver gave me fits with Nvidia cards, but Debian seems fine. Also had no issues with Garuda or EndeavorOS (Arch based rolling releases with current kernels). Yes, I did a bit of disto hopping