Anyone recommend a good UPS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I am looking to purchase a UPS.

My needs are:

1000-1500W - 120V
Sine Wave
Rackmount(able) unit.

The 3 brands I am considering are Eaton, CyberPower and APC. At this point I am leaning towards the Eaton http://powerquality.eaton.com/5PX1000RT.aspx?cx=3

but I thought I would reach out for suggestions from the members.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, and/or gotchas I should be considering in my purchase?

Thanks.

peace,

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
Last edited:

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
The unit arrived in good working order:

It included all the parts necessary for rail mounting too. The fan is noisy when the battery is charging (as expected) but tapers off nicely to a low hum (acceptable for me) once the battery is fully charged. It took about 4 hours last evening to charge it up from the ~80% SOC it arrived at. No idea what the charging algorithyms are for this unit (C/?).

I am anxious to setup the remote management software and try that out but the seller did not include the CD which contains the management software, so I sent an email to him as well as Eaton. We'll see where that ends up. Can do some power cycling tests once I get hold of the S/W.

For sure, the unit has a lot of features as evidenced by poking through all the on-screen menu selections/settings. Initial impressions are that this is a very well built and solid unit. I think it looks pretty sharp too. I am looking forward to fiddling with and testing its features.

Now I am gonna need a small rack as the Rubbermaid 'tub-o-rack' ain't cuttin' it... lol... :)

peace,

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
How are you liking the Eaton a month+ later? Were you able to get the software? Also, you got a helluadeal on your UPS lol.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Hi cactus,

I am really liking it. The seller sent me the link to Eaton's site where the latest version of the S/W was available for DL. I loaded it up and played with it a bit. The web-based interface is clean and, with the nic, it is loaded with remote mgmt and monitoring features (more than my needs really, but fun to mess with).

All in all, I am very pleased with the purchase and the price was a bargain for the quality of these units.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Patrick, I was just looking at that unit, but it doesn't have the Network card (which adds a few $$)

The shipping is a killer!!

Btw, attended an Eaton seminar (yesterday).. If you're into virtualization (like we all are) this is the UPS to buy, forget APC

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, I was just looking at that unit, but it doesn't have the Network card (which adds a few $$)

The shipping is a killer!!

Btw, attended an Eaton seminar (yesterday).. If you're into virtualization (like we all are) this is the UPS to buy, forget APC
Why is that? Just curious.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Let me try to summarize.

Eaton is a vmWare partner, they do a lot of integration with vmWare, Microsft SCVMM (for "vmotioning/live migrating" vm's etc in case of power failure)

The Eaton management software is designed to be run agentless on the host, you can also run it in a vm

The software is free for up to 10 hosts

I remember when I looked at using the APC software to vm shutdown/migration in my Hyper-V cluster....what a joke
You had to write scripts (after installing the software) & the software was not free

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Patrick,

One other major point (from the seminar).

Eaton claims to be the only UPS maker that offers a 3 yr warranty & that includes the batteries

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I get to un-box a 5PX1000RT when I get back from my trip. I also just installed a Cyberpower PR1000LCDRTXL2Ua which was nice and sturdy, but only has 2 zones.

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I came here to recommend Eaton, I leave here realizing that I am late to the party.

At least there are more than a few like minded people here who say "Forget you APC!"

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I came here to recommend Eaton, I leave here realizing that I am late to the party.

At least there are more than a few like minded people here who say "Forget you APC!"
I might have to re-visit my "Forget you APC" stance...

I decided to buy a 5PX1000 for my workstation, unless "I did/have done" something wrong, this unit is loud

I'll chk it again when I get back home.

@Cactus: how is the noise level on your's?

@wyluliraven: what model do you have?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
OKay So here is my question, is there a big difference? Aren't these just batteries with a USB or network shutdown?