Anyone ever use a half rack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZeroOne

Sep 13, 2013
I'm curious about the half-racks out there (mostly in the AV world it seems) compared to a full width. Being somewhat limited on space, and having all half-width devices (router, modem, Dell X1026, Unifi Toughswitches), in theory it would seem like I could save some space and make everything look much better using something like this:

8 Space (14

The idea was to keep this all in a nicer enclosure than the current shelf it's all dumped onto, wasting less space width wise. Not sure about whether a "half width switch" and a 9.5in "half rack" are really compatible as it would seem at first thought.

Has anyone attempted a similar arrangement?

Thanks for any input! Feel free to share your network setup!

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
A lot of the AV-ish racks aren't deep enough for larger servers--my deepest servers are pushing a meter deep, and it's not unusual to find AV (or switch) racks that are only designed for 300-400mm deep devices. If you're just looking to push shelves in the rack, then that probably doesn't matter, but sooner or later you'll probably want to put something bigger into it.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
10" racks - neater on the outside, total mess on the inside :)

I manage one site with 10" rack and problem is there is very little space inside of rack. Not only for devices, but also for cabling. You put there patch panel, firewall, switch, second switch (FYI Toughswitch 8 fits, HP 1920-8G is too wide and has to be turned 90 degrees left or right). All these things need AC power, some AC/DC brick. UPS probably wont fit in the rack, so it would have to be placed somewhere externally and in this moment, it does not make much sense using 10" rack.

My advice, use only when you have to because of space limits, or have some really lightweight installation.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I wouldn't even waste the stress on getting equipment to fit in it properly. Heat may very quickly become an issue for you as well if you do manage to get all your gear stuffed in there. Then there's that time you need to get your hand up the back to plug/ unplug something after the fact...:)

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
A half-depth rack has its place. They are useful for patch panels, short-depth switches (less than 10"-12") and a shelf or 2 for a modem or non-rackmount routers.

What don't they do? You can't cool a server in them, most servers don't fit to begin with, and UPS's above 400w or so don't fit.

That being said I love using them in homes with 12-48 drops for ethernet. They are easy to make look good and if you don't need a huge UPS you are fine. Plus they usually makes it easier to talk a homeowner into a rackmount router (good 1gbps capable router) and a Poe switch because it ends up being much more neat. At that point you are somewhat future-proofing the infrastructure. Faster wifi means changing the AP's only.

Harry77

Sep 15, 2016
Canada
It would be better to look for full racks. A bigger rack would allow better air flow. and it is not advisable to place it tight spaces.