1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with troubles on ASRock ep2c602-4ld16?

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Jez van den Oever, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jez van den Oever

Jez van den Oever New Member

Hi all,

Been reading a lot of threads here, including an older thread on Windows 10 freezing with ASRock ep2c602-4ld16, but I think I have an issue with the latest versions of Windows 10 & Windows 2016 Server. Sorry for long thread, but I need to ask around as the issues I'm experiencing mean Windows 10 & Windows 2016 Server are completely unusable on fairly standard enthusiast server hardware.

Background
    Wanted to offload server duties off a game-oriented 6 core 4930k machine and free up its becoming-redundant 980 ti card (because it was doing server duties). The 4930k will become a secondary games machine (primary is an overclocked 5960x with a 1080 ti card).

My Background
    Work as a chief architect for a large international company, been building my own computers since 12. programming since 7.

Purpose
    Have 48tb of home movies, media, game images etc --> DAS and diy-SAN.
    Have home services: DHCP, DNS, AD via Samba.
    Need workstation capabilities: Virtualisation for AI and other memory hungry, thread intensive applications I build.

Setup
    Bought the ASRock ep2c602-4ld16 for the 16 RDIMM slots and needed the 4 x pci-e x16 3.0 slots for:

2 x LSI 2307e SAS expander cards
    1 x LSI 2307i SAS expander card (8 internal drives)
    1 x old 780 ti card I had in reserve (on-board graphics is rubbish)
    1 x pci-e usb 3 card (on the x4 slot)

256GB 1066MHz ECC RDIMM (bought a while ago at a not-to-be-missed price).
    2 x Xeon E5-2670v2 (bought some QS after researching to ensure maximum compatibility).
    1050 gold-certified PSU (spare).

The Problem
    After assembling the computer, Windows 10 install proceeded OK. Once in Windows 10, and about to start my scripted-auto-install of all software I use, I attached the pci-e cards (as above) and that's when all the troubles began. Random hard freezes. No BSOD, no crash, no reboot - just a hard freeze (no numlock change etc, reset not working, only hold-down-power-button reset).

After reset, the system would last between 30 seconds and 20 minutes before freezing.

I removed all but 4 sticks of RAM, no effect.
    I removed one CPU and 2 further sticks of RAM, no effect.
    Removed all the pci-e cards, no effect.

Ran bootable memtestx86+ for many hours, no issues.

Now I got more drastic, and acquired 2 x Xeon E5-2670 (v1) chips, not ES to rule out the QS chips I have.

This made matters worse - crash now occurs almost certainly right after boot into Windows 10.

Repeated above (removing all RAM, one CPU, all pci-e cards) - no effect.

Got my UEFI USB Windows 10 install, and it freezes during that too!!!

Remembering an earlier thread about lockups in Windows 10, tried Windows 2016 Server. That won't make it past the install either.

What did work?
    Getting desperate as I was eliminating all items, I had two more options and following wise words "Once you eliminate the obvious, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

* Motherboard?
    * OS?

New motherboard and RMA existing means proving it, so I attacked OS first.

Installed latest Ubuntu linux bootable. That worked.
    Did various light tasks in linux. That worked.
    Got mem test and cpu test packages (stress) to stress RAM and CPU. Ran all day on CPU test - max temp 50C, no problems, all 16 [32] cores [threads]. Ran all night on memory test - 16GB chunks across all 256GB. No issues.

Theories
    Windows 10 & Windows 2016 Server share many components and development. Clearly something in the latest builds is causing issues on my machine. I have tried many combinations, but I only have the Samsung memory and the one server motherboard, so I can't vary those to validate.

Anyone else got this problem?

*Edited for minor spelling mistakes.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. i386

i386 Active Member

No, I'm using supermicro :p

Stupid jokes aside, are firmware/bios up to date?
    Did you use the latest windows 10/server 2016 iso? (verify the checksums, we had a corrupted, normal sized iso of server 2016 at work that would install fine in esxi but didn't boot after installation)

3. Jez van den Oever

Yes, latest version, had to ensure that because the first set of CPUs were ES/QS. Windows 10 checksum is good, haven't checked 2016 ISO, so I'll check that.

I am not familiar with Linux microcode updates - when Linux booted, the Ubuntu distro asked to install a "Intel microcode update" driver - is that the equivalent of "firmware" for a chip? I wonder if I tried Windows 10 again if anything would change.

I am thinking about virtualising in Linux and trying an install again with Windows 10 today in a VM. I'd lose performance but if it works, the performance will be mitigated by 8/10 x 2 cores [16 / 20 threads] (2670 vs 2670v2).

4. i386

i386 Active Member

Before you try to virtualize windows 10/server 2016, can you try to install server 2012 r2?
    It's listed as a supported os and generally well tested, so it should work.

5. Jez van den Oever

I think that's a worthwhile suggestion except that I've rather got my heart set on Windows 10. I looked at Server 2016 because it is the same architecture.

Not that I'm a Windows die hard (I grew up on Linux, starting 0.996 with Slackware :) ), just that I have an awful lot of auto-install powershell scripts and packages all configured for Windows 10 (and I've built a comprehensive network-based auto-update system for the other 8 computers in the house) and its too much hard work to port it all to Linux, and besides Linux doesn't have everything.

So I'm going to have a go at virtualisation (and struggle a bit with VT-d to get pass-throughs for all the HBAs) just for the experience factor.

I might quickly try an installation of 2012R2 as you suggest just to validate (and get closure) that it is the Windows 10/server 2016 platform being the problem...

6. Jez van den Oever

Curious - Windows 2012 Server R2, once phase 1 installation (copying all files to disk, after re-partitioning and then rebooting) starts, the server freezes. Approximately the same place every time.

Thoughts from anyone? Is this a duff motherboard? But if so why does Linux work flawlessly?
    (Reminder: I used memtest86+, and 'stress' on Linux for many, many hours with no errors or freezes).

Fails so far from:

Server 2012 R2 (install crashes on 2 x E5-2670)
    Server 2016 (install crashes on 2 x E5-2670, can't even get to the partitioning screen)
    Windows 10 (install crashes on 2 x E5-2670, can't even get to the partitioning screen).

I am going to swap one more time with the ES CPUs (E5-2670v2) and see what's going on - when I first got this machine and built it I got to install Windows 10 faultlessly before all the problems started.

In the meanwhile I am thinking of returning the board (I can do that in the Netherlands and besides I have enough proof to show this is not fit for purpose), and getting a Supermicro board.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I would appreciate it.

7. briandm81

briandm81 Active Member

I have three of this motherboard. Two are running esxi and one swaps back and fourth between esxi windows server 2012r2. My original board is about 4 years old now and has been solid in esxi since day 1. I am using 2620v2 processors. I will be replacing it soon however as the IPMI stopped working.

The windows box has been running solid for 18 months and is running 2670v1s.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. i386

i386 Active Member

Memtest tests the memory, "stress test" (and prime95 on windows) are for cpu + cooling testing.

What happens when you reset the bios/energy settings in bios?

9. Jez van den Oever

I know :) I was just pointing out that with bootable memtest86+ and with Linux running memory *and* CPU tests, there is no freezing whatsoever, but as I said, it only takes a simple install for either Windows 10, server 2016 or server 2012R2 for my setup to freeze. Gotta be the motherboard.

I've just retried by replacing the 2 x E5-2670 (v1) with 2 x ES E5-2670v2 as as you suggested (once again) reloaded all defaults for the BIOS (only modification: remove Windows Boot Manager to be able to re-install OS):

Windows 10 USB UEFI Install: Get to the "Select languages/locale/etc" screen and move the mouse around, within 10-20 seconds it hard freezes.
    Windows 2016 USB UEFI Install: As above
    Windows 2012R2 USB Boot: Can partition and install Windows 2012R2, but first reboot after install, I now get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Going from bad to worse...

10. squidman

squidman New Member

Am beginning to be unsure of buying ASRock WS version now on reading this..not a lot of threads/posts out there as it is. Asus maybe a lot more unstable, but a lot of enthusiasts use it at least. Ditto Supermicro, supposed to be more stable more ES/QS friendly, but not a lot of love for them out there on the internets. And I don't even know linux distros, strictly Windows!

11. i386

i386 Active Member

This sounds to me like a hardware problem. Windows can't boot because it tries to start/initialize all hardware components on the mainboard, but linux works because it runs in "minimal" mode and only uses hardware it really needs.
    A quick google search for "windows doesn't boot but linux works" points to spiceworks, superuser and other websites mentioning mainboard problems.

12. Jez van den Oever

Same conclusion I am getting to. I've been in touch with ASRock support (very good by the way) and they are also getting to the same conclusion - they've asked me to try different variations and they've all failed.

Edit to above: Changing the CPUs from 2670 to 2670v2 simply moves the freeze point. Whereas 1 x 2670 or 2 x 2670 (v1) freezes during install, the 2670v2 freezes when first boot occurs into the newly installed operating system.

It would be unfair to bias against ASRock because of a single duff board. I have to say when I got this from the supplier here in the Netherlands, the box was scuffed and didn't look new, so even more suspect.

The only thing they did say is that Windows 10 and Windows 2016 Server is unsupported on my board, which I guess is disappointing, but fair enough; although I would expect that kind of hardware to work with modern operating systems.

Their tech support was same-day and they respond to my replies in e-mail within a few hours - very good.