Anyone confirm getting Rev. 2 EPYC 7002 Boards?

elag

Member
Dec 1, 2018
78
14
8

am45931472

Member
Feb 26, 2019
75
17
8
cant wait to switch my freenas server over to EPYC rome, but I feel like I should either confirm pci e gen4 drop in support first, or just wait until supermicro puts out a board that explicitly says it supports pci e gen 4
 

Jeff Robertson

Active Member
Oct 18, 2016
421
113
43
Chico, CA
I don't think they will convert their older boards to PCIe 4, I'm almost positive they will be coming out with the newer H12 generation to support that. Another reason to wait is the size of the BIOS chip, I believe they use a 16MB chip which isn't large enough to support multiple generations of CPUs (thus the v2.0 board revisions), hopefully the H12 gen will have twice the storage so the 7003 chips will just drop in.
 

am45931472

Member
Feb 26, 2019
75
17
8
I don't think they will convert their older boards to PCIe 4, I'm almost positive they will be coming out with the newer H12 generation to support that. Another reason to wait is the size of the BIOS chip, I believe they use a 16MB chip which isn't large enough to support multiple generations of CPUs (thus the v2.0 board revisions), hopefully the H12 gen will have twice the storage so the 7003 chips will just drop in.
That is a good point. I remember reading that amd cut support for some bristol ridge cpus for x370 x470 boards because the bios chips were too small to add in support for ryzen 3000 and keep the code for the bristol ridge cpus. not that anyone cared because thoes chips were terrible and no one was buying an x470 board to put in a pre ryzen cpu
 

IamSpartacus

Well-Known Member
Mar 14, 2016
2,301
553
113
I for one can't imagine needing PCIe 4.0 for a while which is why I was fine with getting an H11 board not knowing whether they'd ever support PCIe 4.0. If and when I have a use case for PCIe 4.0 (probably a few years off), I'll be fine in upgrading my MoBo and I'll probably be upgrading my CPU at that time anyway.
 

am45931472

Member
Feb 26, 2019
75
17
8
I for one can't imagine needing PCIe 4.0 for a while which is why I was fine with getting an H11 board not knowing whether they'd ever support PCIe 4.0. If and when I have a use case for PCIe 4.0 (probably a few years off), I'll be fine in upgrading my MoBo and I'll probably be upgrading my CPU at that time anyway.
I would agree with that sentiment. However I also feel like when you're right at the cusp of new tech coming out and you're looking at building a new system, if all you have to do is wait just a little bit longer then it makes sense to wait. That is what i'm weighing right now I guess. How long to wait or just give up on pci e 4.0 support.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TXAG26

IamSpartacus

Well-Known Member
Mar 14, 2016
2,301
553
113
I would agree with that sentiment. However I also feel like when you're right at the cusp of new tech coming out and you're looking at building a new system, if all you have to do is wait just a little bit longer then it makes sense to wait. That is what i'm weighing right now I guess. How long to wait or just give up on pci e 4.0 support.
I totally get it. For me, waiting just didn't gain me anything so I went ahead with my build. I don't have a single PCIe 4.0 device to put in my server and don't expect to for a while.
 

diogin

Member
Mar 28, 2018
32
5
8
Beijing, China
Just bought an H11SSL-i rev 2.x which will arrive tomorrow.
My main concern is whether it's possible to overclock an EPYC ROME CPU.
PCIe 4.0 support on rev 2.x may not be a big concern simply because currently there are few PCIe 4.0 devices.
 

balnazzar

Member
Mar 6, 2019
105
7
18
I have an EPYCD8-2T and a 7282 with the Noctua dual-fan (4U) cooler. They seem to play well together.