Anybody use a server board in a workstation?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The board I'm thinking of only has x8 3.0 slots so video may be a problem. I need at least 1 display port. I also need sound. Provided both of these are doable, can a server board be used in a workstation or are there other gotchas lurking in the shadows?

Thanks

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Typically Workstation boards and Server boards are comprable, only having x8 slots isn't a huge deal performance wise are any physically x16 sixe wise? and as far as sound you'd want to use DP audio or get a usb sound card

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, thanks. I'll give it a go.

I have a full size Fractal Design case that will hold an EATX MB and a 950w PSU that should be able to power it without a problem.

g33k

Dec 27, 2014
I've used Supermicro UP boards (socket 2011 and socket 1155) as workstations with zero issues. I use USB sound and a graphics card. I tend to use supermicro PSUs as well. The only issue I have encountered is actually with fan control. The generic 4pin fans I used in a build caused the machine to ramp up all fans to 100% and then drop down. The problem was that the board was reading the tach from the fan as zero, even if it was spinnning. When I replaced the fans with 4pin supermicro fans, the problem went away. It was really annoying hearing the 'whooshing' of fans ramping up all the time.

Supermicro does make workstation boards with on-board audio and more workstation oriented features and several enthusiast boards that allow some OCing, if you're into that type of thing.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I'm using a SM X8DTi-F as a workstation now. I have it in a HAF-XM case.

Nothing with the MB or processors has been an issue.

The biggest hurdle was that I was trying to use Server 2012 as a desktop OS. Getting sound to work was a bit difficult and I gave up on bluetooth.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Note that all of this assumes that you purchase an SM Server board with a standard form factor. SM has many server boards and a couple of workstation boards with custom form factors that will not fit into many or any workstation case on the market.

g33k

Dec 27, 2014
Very good point. If you're interested in using an EE-ATX behemoth,several years ago I had an X8 series EE-ATX board in a lian li case - was a great setup! You can also find good deals on sc745-r920b cases that accommodate E-ATX boards - $400 for a decent case with hotswap drive bays, plenty of room and a 920 watt platinum PSU that isn't garbage like a lot of the consumer PSUs is a deal. More money up front, but it'll outlast several iterations of workstation builds...

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
The eatx cases are available but quite a few of sm's boards are much much bigger than eatx. The 10 slot lian li's, cosmos 2, caselabs cases will fit the drg's but the truly custom server boards won't fit in anything that you can buy other than the enclosure sm supplied with the board.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
I'm running an X8DTE-FO in an NZXT chassis.....

In had to mount a fan on the IO hub.

besides the obvious no sound it works fine.
The IOH on the X8 boards runs HOT. The newer ones on the X9 boards run much cooler but still wouldn't hurt to have some airflow past it.

I currently have a X9DR3-F in a Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 case using 2x E5-2670's and Noctua coolers. You can't hear it over ambient noise in my house unless you are really pushing it hard.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
The IOH on the X8 boards runs HOT. The newer ones on the X9 boards run much cooler but still wouldn't hurt to have some airflow past it.

I currently have a X9DR3-F in a Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 case using 2x E5-2670's and Noctua coolers. You can't hear it over ambient noise in my house unless you are really pushing it hard.
How well do the motherboard holes line up on your Nanoxia? I'd actually like this case myself but it seems hard to find in the US.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Replied to your PM, but will post it here too. Add a Video/Sound card and this would be a workstation.

The board fit perfectly, there are a ton of options for standoffs. The case is a great case but it is HEAVY.
Amazon has it but in white right now. http://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-Silen...qid=1453777764&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+silence+5

Here is the build before I got the Noctua HSF's. 2x E5-2670, 14x 8GB DDR3 ECC, 8x 3TB HDD, 2x 120GB SSD.

Reactions: Davewolfs

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
The Nanoxia looks a lot like my Fractal design.
I have had a few Fractal design cases and have loved all of them. I would say they are a lot alike, both are pretty high quality and you won't go wrong with either. The Nanoxia has more sound absorbing material than I have seen in a case ever though.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, that's important for our applications.

Mine also has a roof fan that vents out the back of the case. Looks like yours does too.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Ah, that's important for our applications.

Mine also has a roof fan that vents out the back of the case. Looks like yours does too.
I assume you have the Define XL? Will it hold the SM board properly? Does it cover all cable routing?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yep, it's the XL. I'll find out how well it fits when the rest of the parts arrive. I looked at the SM case but decided to go with the FD because the SM is a bit pricey. A better solution no doubt but if the FD will work I'm way ahead since I bought it in 2011.