Any instructions on replacing backplane for SM 836TQ to 836A?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Does anyone have any tips on the sequence/instructions on replacing the SM 836TQ backplane, to a 836A backplane?

Much appreciated.

thanks!

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
I just swapped out a 836TQ backplane for a SAS2-836EL2 and it was cake. The TQ lacks a metal frame so removing it was easy. The frame on 836EL2 made getting things back in more difficult but easily manageable. A right angle screw driver makes the job easier but it isn't required.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Well I've got a question on this as well - need some help :) - I tried to remove the TQ from my 836 a while ago and for some reason the backplane seemed to be 'stuck' in place even after remove the screws ;). From what I was able to deduce is that after I remove the top 3 screws, I should be able 'lift' the backplane a bit and it should come loose - I tried that but the backplane did not budge at all. I tried to put as much pressure as I could without breaking it and it just won't move. So I gave up. I really want to put a SAS2-836EL1 / 2 and remove the expander I have installed in my system.

So what am I missing here. I've tried to googling for this and have not found any details.

Would really appreciate some help here :(.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Maybe you need to swing it back or forth a bit?
Have not changed the one in my 836 yet, but 846 was not so difficult - just had to move a bit towards the drive cage iirc due to mounting points

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
My TQ backplane had 5 screws in it. If I recall 2 were regular round head phillips screws and 3 were elongated that went the elongated keyholes on the BP. One of the keyhole screws was in the center of the board if I recall, the were not just along the top. The board also fit into a slot on the bottom of the case which did require a bit of but not much force to remove.

Reactions: epicurean

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I must have missed the other 2 screws then. Will take a look this weekend.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Whats the estimated time to do the change? an hour?