AMD Ryzen Threadripper 96GB and Using 6 Different DIMMs

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Patrick, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I had a 4x 16GB DDR4-2800 Patriot Viper kit and a 2x 16GB DDR4-2666 Patriot Viper kit. Moving from dual Intel Xeon E5 V3 to a single TR 1950X CPU without RDIMMs was going to be an issue RAM wise.

I followed what I would normally do mixing DIMMs on a server platform. Same DIMMs in the same channel. So the two rightmost DIMMs are the DDR4-2666 while the other four are DDR4-2800.

This booted without issue and I was able to use the same DDR4-2800 clock setting I was using before.

If you want to use six DIMMs to make 96GB for AMD Ryzen Treadripper, this worked on the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard:

[​IMG]

eva2000 and William like this.
  2. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Patrick isn't this the same way to use 6 DIMM's with X299/X99/X79? I remember even seeing ASUS motherboard manuals for X79 motherboards with this same slot arrangement.

3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

This is not in the MSI X399 manual. There is only 2 4 8 DIMM combinations.

I added two Corsair DIMMs so now have 3 different DIMM types and two different capacities. All seems to be working. Much better than early Ryzen 7 days.

wildpig1234, William, TType85 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

I've found that MSI manuals are lacking in terms of details compared to ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards. The last MSI I worked with recently I had to google DIMM slot arrangements because the diagrams and details are quite poor. With ASUS or Gigabyte even the diagrams are much clearer. That's not talking about the backwards bios updating procedure on their earlier motherboards, etc...

BTW for anyone interested found this article on Threadrippers history and on how Threadripper became a reality from a project:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper: The Fascinating Story Behind The Processor That Beat Intel

Stux likes this.
  5. eva2000

eva2000 Active Member

oooh love memory.. love the accompanying photos :D