AMD Ryzen - my first Linux Desktop?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
Here's what I'm contemplating, is it time to have a Linux Desktop? I know. I have tried in the past and failed miserably.

My Proposed Ryzen Linux Desktop Build
So here's the damage:
  • $329 CPU + cooler
  • $410 64GB RAM
  • $100 mobo
  • $250 GPU
  • $100 case
Total cost..... wait for it..... $1150 or $1200 with better RAM. I can shave another $75 with the cheaper GPU. 8x high clocked cores and a fancy for me GPU and 64GB RAM for almost nothing.

So here's my other question. Is there a good remote desktop client? I like RDC but for Linux I know MS isn't going to fly. I know VNC but I've always had issues and I don't want to Teamviewer. I just want to start by running a big RDP like session on my Windows machine.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That looks good to me. I would ask if $100 is worth not getting an X370 board but I like the inexpensive/ low power ASUS boards if all you are going to do is have a GPU and maybe a NIC in it.

If it is not too ugly, I will post my NZXT S340 Ryzen build tomorrow. I was cheap and went with the $79 case but I do like the look of the larger case.

What about SSDs?

Reactions: TType85 and eva2000

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I got the Corsair kit linked above. 3200 for $450 is a steal.

I'll get a better mobo when they're cheap. Everything looks very 1st gen.

SSDs I've got DC S3710's so that's covered.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
What is RDC? If you mean RDP then 2x Client for linux works fine connecting to other windows machine via RDP. If you want to connect to your linux machine from a Windows desktop then sesman x11rdp works great.

In short, I don't quite understand what you mean in your second question.

You should come up with a list on what you want your linux desk top to do. If you just want to play around with Linux then it's a big waste of $$ to get that hardware. You won't be able to play much games on it so what's the point of a good graphic card? What software do you want in your Linux machine?

W/O knowing the need, it's hard to know if you get a good build or not.

Reactions: OBasel

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@nk215 I will look into those. I want to connect to this machine from Windows for now then transition to connecting to Windows from it later.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
@OBasel Are congratulations in order? I'm debating between the 1700 and 64GB ram and 1600 with 32GB. Were you able to get above 2666 on the ram timings?

Any happy/unfortunate surprises with your build? Thanks.

Last edited:

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@DWSimmons - if you're going for 2666 get a X370 mobo. I wish I did. The BIOS updates are much faster and newer BIOS will help.

Don't spend money on faster RAM than 2666 if you're filling all 4 slots. I'd shoot for 2400 myself. Ryzen struggles it seems with 4 dimms and high memory clocks. I got the Corsair but I can't boot at 3000. It took two days of trying memory settings off and on until I could get 2666mhz to work. I'm happy now but it wasn't easy.

X370. 2666.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Why am I the only one who asks the obvious?

Linux + new generation hardware = bad idea. Reserved for experienced linux users.
Linux + Ryzen = trouble. They can be made to work by experienced linux users. There is even a front page article on how to do it.
Ryzen on new hardware with linux desktop for new linux user = TERRIBLE IDEA!

The OP tried a linux desktop in the past and, in his own words, "failed miserably."

Does anyone here really think he should try again with known troublesome hardware where he won't know if he applied the workaround properly or if there is something else wrong when things go south. And notice I said "when" and not "if".

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
Why am I the only one who asks the obvious?

Linux + new generation hardware = bad idea. Reserved for experienced linux users.
Linux + Ryzen = trouble. They can be made to work by experienced linux users. There is even a front page article on how to do it.
Ryzen on new hardware with linux desktop for new linux user = TERRIBLE IDEA!

The OP tried a linux desktop in the past and, in his own words, "failed miserably."

Does anyone here really think he should try again with known troublesome hardware where he won't know if he applied the workaround properly or if there is something else wrong when things go south. And notice I said "when" and not "if".
Actually, yes. The OP needs to be aware of the kernel minimums and after that the problems exist in areas outside of basic user. If the OP is trying a multi-gpu with VMs, I agree on passing. Ditto for impatient people.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Go with a cheap Asrock socket 2011-3 board, and a used E5 26** V3 ES cpu, cheap 250 Gb or larger ssd, cheap newer nvidia video card, 16 gigs of cheap and not too speedy DDR4 ram then throw it in a cheap case, along with a good power supply.

Socket 2011-3 has been around long enough you should have zero hardware issues with linux.

I have been using Linux for more than 20 years and I am waiting on getting Ryzen until most of the bugs are worked out because my heart just ain't in to be beta tester, been there done that.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
It actually works OK. Sometime I'll move to work on optimizing the VNC but it's fine.

That Ryzen 5 1600 is what I should have done and spent less on RAM.

Reactions: DWSimmons

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
It actually works OK. Sometime I'll move to work on optimizing the VNC but it's fine.

That Ryzen 5 1600 is what I should have done and spent less on RAM.
so it sounds like you're up and running? my first gut reaction to seeing the 1st post was to avoid new HW + Linux for a 1st time user, but if you're good with it more kudos to you!

i'm a long time Linux desktop user, started back in 1997-ish (really sucked back then), and went exclusively Linux for desktop in about 2007. Prior to that was mainly a Windows user. I'm mainly a Fedora user, but what distro did you go with?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@BLinux this isn't my first time using Linux. This is my first Linux desktop with a GUI.

Ubuntu 17.04 beta now 17.04 stable since it had 4.10 already in it. I know I'll have to upgrade but that's OK on the desktop.