AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core CPU Benchmarks Leaked – Thousand Dollar Performer For $389

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
The most interesting part of Zen will be, once Naples server CPUs launches in Q2, how it will affect Intel E3 offering going forward. If I'm not mistaken E3v6 will also stay with 4core designs while AMD will likely push 6-8core designs for similar pricing. Too long E3's were forgotten about since E5's are such cash-cows for Intel, I hope for massive competition in this area, as it's an ideal market for homelab systems.
I don't assume AMD to have any answer for massively multi-core E7 for now but the low end server market could get very interesting, besides the PC market. 2017 is shaping to be an very interesting year with Purley and Zen on the CPU front, can't wait for 26-28core E7 v5's at work.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@BobbyB I think this is going to drop prices on the E5-1600 line.

When you're making 22 core CPUs I'd bet it is easy to make 8-10 core parts just from binning.

Price competition is good but Intel's response can be just pricing based with what they already have.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I hope AMD pulls off a winner. Stiff competition is good for us, no matter who we buy from. I've had good luck with AMD chips in the past and would consider their new offerings if price/performance is there.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I'm excited and hopeful, been a big AMD fan for awhile. My biggest hope (well, after much improved performance) is a fair amount of compatibility with their old instruction sets. I'd love to be able to upgrade my existing Xenserver pool gradually from my aging Piledriver Opterons.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
@BobbyB I think this is going to drop prices on the E5-1600 line.

When you're making 22 core CPUs I'd bet it is easy to make 8-10 core parts just from binning.

Price competition is good but Intel's response can be just pricing based with what they already have.
Intel seems to have an internal doctrine that will not adjust pricing not matter what, and historically they've never really done it even in rare moments that AMD had a strong offering. Unfortunate byproduct of one company having 90+% marketshare.

It'll be interesting to see what AMD produces; the fact that its 2017 and Intel's still able to fart around with only 4 cores in the latest desktop-mainstream (Baby Lake) underlines just how little fire is under their asses from a competition standpoint.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
being price conscious and not playing that many games if intel can give me decent cores for good prices i will be moving my lab to amd -- if AMD succeeds it will be when Intel lowers their prices or comes out with new sku's that compete

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
It'll be interesting to see what AMD produces; the fact that its 2017 and Intel's still able to fart around with only 4 cores in the latest desktop-mainstream (Baby Lake) underlines just how little fire is under their asses from a competition standpoint.
Here's the sad but true part - those 4 cores are fine for 99%+ of desktops

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Here's the sad but true part - those 4 cores are fine for 99%+ of desktops
And even more sad, probably 80% of servers as well based on a general enterprise DC workload. (Cloud DC of course not though)

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
yeah, amd is targeting the gamer market, and that's a dangerous thing to do--it's just not that big. if more people cared, intel wouldn't include a GPU on all of its desktop processors, because not a single gamer will ever use it. But they sell a whole lot of systems where integrated GPU is fine, and those systems don't need to double the number of cores. I'd guess intel actually makes more on the mobile CPUs, and the low TDP mobile CPUs are only 2 core, even at the i7 level...

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Hopefully, AMD can become profitable again. Intel can react as easily as NVidia did by throwing us a slightly faster bone for slightly less than whatever AMD charges and lock them out of the success that they merit. Nonetheless, it should be a good year for AMD stock even if it isn't actually profitable.

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
The odd thing about the Xeon Gold is that the linked benchmark lists two of them. I could understand Intel selling E5-16xx for less as an answer to AMD in workstation/single socket server market but not E5-2's, what could Intel cut in them to not have an internal price competition with their dual socket systems? Or how to differentiate the Xeon Gold for the normal E5 lineup, clock bump won't do it and they need to lower 8core CPUs to below 1K.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm not sure what intels logic is here but I'd be happy to update my 2760's to 18 core 2.7Ghz v3's.
Sadly it requires a motherboard swap and a ram upgrade but at reasonable prices 72 threads would let me run a lot more desktop vms.

Reactions: gigatexal