AMD EPYC Incorrect Number of Sockets Bug

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drdepasquale

Dec 1, 2022
There is a known bug with some of the AMD EPYC processors displaying the incorrect number of sockets in the Windows Task Manager. After doing research I have discovered inconsistent results. Some of the task manager screenshots are showing the correct number of CPU sockets while others are not. Does anybody know what causes this? It it after a certain amount of cores or is due to the new design on the 7002/7003 chips? From what I can tell, this bug does not effect the first generation 7001 series of chips. I am planning on building a dual socket EPYC system soon likely up to 32 Cores per socket. My concern here is software licensing and compatibility. In a dual socket system Windows may detect four AMD EPYC processors even if there are only two. Does anybody have experience running Windows Server 2012 R2/Windows 8.1 on 2nd or 3rd Generation EPYC? Supermicro has the necessary drivers and doesn't mention any kind of incompatibilities.