AMD EPYC 7281 Dual Socket Linux Benchmarks and Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
@Patrick I'd love to see an article about the chess benchmark. Why it was used, why you stopped. What is it sensitive to i.e. what is actually treating and what is insensitive to. Maybe a quick history of the benchmark. Why you brought it back. Are there any confounding variables or things that we should take with a grain of salt. Conversely, is there a key summarization of what it always means. Then, you can have a link sentence for each review with "You can read more about the chess benchmark here" with link to the write up.

Thanks for putting the xeon-d and atom in benchmarks.

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for yet another great review.

What impressed me most is how a single EPYC 7401 can compete with a dual EPYC 7281 setup in most of the benchmarks. AMD really has a very competitive lineup in the sub $1000-$1200 range, 7281, 7351(P), 7401(P) all great CPUs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
2 things I noticed...

1.) just interesting how some e5 v5 parts still perform really well at certain tasks, it’s a difficult to say one Intel or AMD is always best, it really is workload dependent
2.) the cost is power .... if your machine is really using 1000kwhr per year more (and add for the rest based on PUE) then you maybe at $0.25 like some places be spending a considerable amount extra on power over intel, over 4 years the calculation with power the extra cost of intel may not look nearly as bad.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
I notice that the street price of Epyc processors is much higher than MSRP. I'm guessing that this is because AMD is only beginning to ramp up production and the supply is quite constrained

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I notice that the street price of Epyc processors is much higher than MSRP. I'm guessing that this is because AMD is only beginning to ramp up production and the supply is quite constrained
We found that the street price for EPYC if you're buying a CPU not a system is different. If you're looking check what the reseller will charge.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick I'd love to see an article about the chess benchmark. Why it was used, why you stopped. What is it sensitive to i.e. what is actually treating and what is insensitive to. Maybe a quick history of the benchmark. Why you brought it back. Are there any confounding variables or things that we should take with a grain of salt. Conversely, is there a key summarization of what it always means. Then, you can have a link sentence for each review with "You can read more about the chess benchmark here" with link to the write up.

Thanks for putting the xeon-d and atom in benchmarks.
Good suggestion. The older chess engine had issues scaling so we had to pull it out of the suite. Took awhile to come back to it.

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Hi guys..i'm the person who bring chess to Patrick!

It was because i see Cinebench finished in less then 5sec. on a 4x Intel Xeon Platinum 8180
that i say,why not use a chess-engine..it's at the moment endless in calculatings..so you can run a bench so long you want..
What i for years i can't understand that hardware reviewers..check now online for the new Intel i9 7980XE has no games that
can use all cores/threads @100% ,while with chess i had engines with 2048cores when the first dual core cpu came out!?
It amaze me how this is possible..okay these 2048cores would never worked as we have now max 32cores cpu's ;)
It's thanks to William i could test on a dual socket system that i see these chess engines coundn't work optimal when using more then one cpu..
William told me clearly..your software needs NUMA..so i directly inform chess programmers..i getting test versions and yes after a few tries
chess engine asmFish can use all cores/threads on any total cpu's..now limited to 32cpu's ;)

Then i come to STH website..get in contact with Patrick..and he was so kind to run some chess benches for me..and told me he integraded
chess bench into their testing system! Amazing important for the chess world!

My last reply..

Good morning Patrick,

Unbelievable what benches i see here..just great..but i would love to have these real nodes/sec. numbers!! (or put them in charts/table like on my website)
Last review..wow..
AMD EPYC 7281 Dual Socket Linux Benchmarks and Review
So a dual AMD EPYC 7281 at take $700 x2 would be faster then a Intel i9 7960X that cost around $1700
This is so important to know which chess system i gone build..
You have a idea what a total system will cost ,motherboard+2x7281+32Gb DDR4 for example..

If i get these nodes/sec. i can calculate chess performance/price system

JP.

So,people if you are interested to run some chess benches for me..any result from any system is welcome!
Here some more info on my website..just check around and you will see what i do for chess ;)

Ipman Chess

Patrick..i can only repeat..thanks a lot what you doing..hope i can get these nodes/sec. real numbers!!

Kind regards,
JP.

Reactions: Greg C