A good deal?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
this is conjecture based on my experience working with chinese sellers (shipping from china) on chinese storefronts like aliexpress.

This is a known issue with the i350 intel ethernet cards... it was only a matter of time before chinese clones of intel x540-t2 cards start coming around.

ive used the clones before - some work perfectly, while others do not

by all means, take the risk and order if you need it. then come back to this thread with detailed pictures of the card and its performance.

• Haha
Reactions: Cruzader

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
this is conjecture based on my experience working with chinese sellers (shipping from china) on chinese storefronts like aliexpress.

This is a known issue with the i350 intel ethernet cards... it was only a matter of time before chinese clones of intel x540-t2 cards start coming around.

ive used the clones before - some work perfectly, while others do not

by all means, take the risk and order if you need it. then come back to this thread with detailed pictures of the card and its performance.
So in other words its purely based on being from china...

Amazing how you can leap from that to "these are definitely fake".
Inspur specific cards would probably be the worst stuff around to sell fakes of, they are pretty much non-existing in the west and thats pretty much where the purchasing power for them are.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
So in other words its purely based on being from china...

Amazing how you can leap from that to "these are definitely fake".
Inspur specific cards would probably be the worst stuff around to sell fakes of, they are pretty much non-existing in the west and thats pretty much where the purchasing power for them are.
im only sharing my opinion based on my experience buying hundreds of intel cards, new and used. these cards are frequently faked and cloned by chinese manufacturers.

searching on google, you can see that this card's heatsink, pcie port, stickers and markings, etc - do not match the Intel X540-T2 of this card.

if you look at the description for this exact card on eBay - Inspur X540-T2 10G Dual Port Ethernet Network Adapter Network Card Intel Chipset | eBay

To reach the maximum speed, 10G, this card requests PCI-E X8 + PCI-E x1 slots.

If there is not PCI-E X8 + PCI-E x1 slots on your motherboard, you can plug it to a PCI-E X8 or PCI-E X16 slot and you need to block the PCI-E X1 by a tape or some other tools. Speed may be limited to 6G to 9G.

you can search on google for many threads - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/

or this thread based on the x540-t2 card: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/intel-x540-t2-fake-chinese-counterfeit.9715/

or this post from Patrick himself - https://www.servethehome.com/identifying-risky-counterfeit-intel-gigabit-ct-network-adapters/

here is a video on this exact inspur version of the card. the creator states that it doesnt work with all motherboards....

and the lovely US government has placed Inspur on the export ban list... so you risk violating this with the state department when buying: US adds Inspur, friend to Intel and IBM, to export ban list

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
these cards are frequently faked and cloned by chinese manufacturers.
Lowend vendor specific cards that are not used in the west? no.. no they are not...
Tho inspur is worlds 3rd largest server brand, they are pretty much non-existing in the markets its lucrative to sell fakes towards.

here is a video on this exact inspur version of the card. the creator states that it doesnt work with all motherboards....
Its a vendor specific card with a non-standard connector, in what world is it a suprise that it does not work with all boards?
Same as my cisco cards with additional pins outside the standard pci-e, it does not work out of the box in servers its not meant for and thats not exactly a suprise.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Lowend vendor specific cards that are not used in the west? no.. no they are not...
Tho inspur is worlds 3rd largest server brand, they are pretty much non-existing in the markets its lucrative to sell fakes towards.

Its a vendor specific card with a non-standard connector, in what world is it a suprise that it does not work with all boards?
Same as my cisco cards with additional pins outside the standard pci-e, it does not work out of the box in servers its not meant for and thats not exactly a suprise.

going back to the original post...Peter is planning on using this card with a X10SLH-LN6TF motherboard which does not have this non-standard PCI-E X8 + PCI-E x1 connector. The warning about possible support issues with this card and motherboard is pertinent. If the card does work, it will run at slower speeds than the retail Intel x540-t2.

are you trying to just troll threads or help users on this forum? Your first post in this thread said "Based on what?... cant say i see anything wrong with it tbh" However, clearly the lack of non-standard PCI-E X8 + PCI-E x1 connector on this motherboard will cause speed and possibly compabilitiy issues.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
are you trying to just troll threads or help users on this forum?
I was kinda hoping you had some interesting info as to what you spotted it by from those pictures, but you had nothing at all actualy related to that card and then you call me a troll for asking.
If this is not the definition of irony i dont know.
(Also as a fun fact, while fakes are mainly made in Israel and China. they tend to be shipped to consumers out of US/UK/GER to seem less likely and faster shipping.)

But yeah back to the thread, no this is not a good fit for anything but inspur servers.
While it probably can be made to work with isolating/removing pins and reflashing, after shipping/import its probably gone cost about same as just putting some offers on a supermicro etc regular slot version.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
They are being sold through UK eBay so if fake should get my money back but I'll probably not buy them.

I want 10Gbe RJ45 cards for machines that will connect to the X10SLH-LN6TF based server - a diy NAS and a couple of desktops. Other machines can use wifi or 1Gbe.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
They are being sold through UK eBay so if fake should get my money back but I'll probably not buy them.
They are not fake but they designed to be used only in inspur servers.

If you want something that is plug and play into a few desktops they are not what you want.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
They are not fake but they designed to be used only in inspur servers.

If you want something that is plug and play into a few desktops they are not what you want.
Understand now.

Probably going to go with HPE 561FLR-T and adapters.

Can't imagine anyone making an adapter for that Inspur card.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
this title is pretty vague are you able to edit it with product info?

i personally would not jump on this just because it's the older 540, which does not support 5g or 2.5g, so it's not as useful for home.

JohnnyMS2K

Jun 10, 2023
Hi, how are you all?

I have bought 3 of this same cards from Aliexpress to use as a peer to peer connection between my PC, my NAS (TrueNAS) and my tests PC with Proxmox, these cards have arrived with the PCI-E 1x part cut down with some saw or similar, so, to me it was a thing less to worry about (I didn't know that will be delivered this way).
P_20230609_095614 (Pequeno).jpg

After analyzing the boards some more, I've discovered that the thermal condutive material between the chip and the heat spreader was dry and have replaced with some good quality thermal paste, in this process I've discovered that the chip is a Intel X540 AT2 (looked legit to me).
P_20230609_101355 (Pequeno).jpg
P_20230609_101006 (Pequeno).jpg

On the powering the card for the first time I've noted that It's get very hot and have added a 4x4cm cooler fan do minimize the heat on the heat spreader, it worked very well.
P_20230609_110835 (Pequeno).jpg

Have made a 5m Cat6 crossover cable (the PHY on these cards does not invert/convert 568A to/from 568B automatically) and tested some file transfers between my PC and the NAS, the results was pretty good.

Hope these informations are helpful to someone

Reactions: Fritz and TRACKER

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
that 'pcie cutout' actually looks like normal pcie. That first part is necessary for pcie x1 and then everything after that is optional (x4, x8, x16).

some bootleg chinese adapters have 2 additional cutouts.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015