A cheap dual-port (multiplath SAS cable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I recently got a cheap price on a SAS SSD that supports dual-port / multipath, and would need to use it to get the full rated performance.

Does anyone know any really cheap SAS cables that can support a dual port connection? I don't know if it just needs all 29 pins connected or something else special? My HBA is a HP H240 so it still uses SFF 8087 on the card end.

I've seen some other ones linked around the internet, but the cables are like $50. that's not worth it for my limited tinkering budget.

I thought I saw some SFF 8087-8462 cables from china on ebay that seemed to show a picture with all the pins attached, but I'm dubious.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
What is the other end connected to? Straight to the drive? The most I've seen is SFF-8482 adapters that break it out the dual ports into two separate 7-pin/SATA connectors. It's fairly uncommon to run dual-port drives without a backplane.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Ah, my apologies; I was thinking of 3.5" spinners. For SAS3 SSDs:

Each expander connects to one port of all the drives. You'd typically connect each expander to a separate HBA. Then use multipath in the OS.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
How many SSDs? Will the single SAS3 lane to the SSD be the bottleneck?
It's just one SSD, but it's an old HGST enterprise model that's quoted at around 1000MB/s for single port and 2000MB/s for dual port operation.