9400-16i + BPN-SAS3-I28A - Can't get fail/locate LEDs to work

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
I just upgraded from a 9200-8i + BPN-SAS-I28A to a 9400-16i + BPN-SAS3-I28A (the version with an Atmel chip). Problem is, I can no longer get the LEDs (other than presence/activity) to work now.

Here's what I've tried:
  • ledctl - used to work perfectly (still does for the main backplane which is on a 9200). It doesn't give an error, but seems to have no effect.
  • sg_ses - using sg_ses -vvv --set=fault --index=8 /dev/sg8 (or set=ident, tried different indices, tried --dsn instead of index, no dice) - sg8 is the virtual enclosure reported by the 9400. No failure AFAICT, but doesn't turn on any LEDs.
  • encled - same thing, it will even report that the LEDs are on if I query
  • storcli64 /cx/ex/sx start locate - no failure, but no LEDs (same if I do /c0/eALL/sALL, so not an issue of specific slots). Newest storcli (007.2309.0000.0000)
  • Updated firmware to 24.00.00.00, no difference (happens on both the mixed profile and SAS/SATA-only profile)
  • storcli64 /c0 set sgpioforce = on - gives me "Un-supported command"
  • set sesmonitoring=on - same
  • set backplane=autosgpio, set backplane expose=on - also unsupported (seeing a pattern here...)
  • Doing things that would cause ledmon to light up a drive - doesn't work anymore
  • Backplane jumpers - two of them are fan/temp related, the last one is just a reset which causes all the red LEDs to turn on, then reverts back to them doing nothing.
  • sg_ses -j - seems to show correct things in the "SAS address" fields
If it matters, the backplane has 7 SAS drives and one SATA drive. I don't have the right cables to play around with different combinations at the moment.

The fact that storcli just gives me "Un-supported command" for the vast majority of stuff is worrying me. I get that a plain HBA isn't going to support RAID-specific commands, but this doesn't seem to support much of anything. I wonder if I'd be better off with a 9300 since I'm still a ways off from actually putting any NVMe drives in.

Last edited:

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Update: Got some SFF-8643 to 8087 cables. 9200 works perfectly with both the old and new backplane. 9400 doesn't work with either one of them. When I tell the controller to locate a drive, the activity LEDs briefly flash on all the drives, so I know it's doing something, but no matter what I do, I can't get the red LEDs to do anything.

So I'm considering returning the 9400 and getting a much cheaper 9300 instead, but do those have the same problem? Is there some trick I'm not seeing to make these work?