9205-8i LSI cards, SAS 2308 - SITS AT INTIALIZING

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Hi need a little help I bought one these cards - For Sale: H220 LSI 9205-8i Controllers for my SC846 With a SM X9DRL-IF MB , allegedly this card is in IT mode and it just sits at initializing forever and never boots. In order to get to the bios i have to hard shutdown and remove this card.

I have reset the bios to default and check for ACHI mode and other things i can think of and it boots to this HBA and just sits at initializing, Ive tried shutting down and tried another PCI express port same, also tried removing the cable card only - no backplane same, just sits at initializing.

Looks like I got a failed card or am i missing something?

Attachments

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I would re-flash with the latest firmware and see if that gets you going. Sometimes these cards take forever to actually boot when using the bios, so make sure you are giving it enough time :)

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
is a 1/2 hour enough time?:eek: I have waited that long and still initializing, and other reboots 10 mins to 15 mins.....

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The longest I have experienced was around the 10 minute mark, so 1/2hr would be a very long time to boot. Try the latest firmware and see how you get on :)

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I agree, reflash and don't flash the BIOS unless you REALLY need it. Once the OS boots, the BIOS is worthless anyway. Why have it sit and wait on boot?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
He'll likely have a bit of conundrum on how to re-flash...

If the card is hanging per the picture then the system will never finish POST. And if no-post then no boot. No boot...no flash. Stuck...

Suggestion: power it down, remove the card, boot back up into setup. Some BIOS give you the option to ignore the option PROM of peripherals. Set that and reboot. See if you get past the problem. If that works - reflash the card. If it doesn't maybe SOL. Sorry.

Reactions: Ajgoyt

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
He'll likely have a bit of conundrum on how to re-flash...

If the card is hanging per the picture then the system will never finish POST. And if no-post then no boot. No boot...no flash. Stuck...

Suggestion: power it down, remove the card, boot back up into setup. Some BIOS give you the option to ignore the option PROM of peripherals. Set that and reboot. See if you get past the problem. If that works - reflash the card. If it doesn't maybe SOL. Sorry.
Yes it sits at that screen and the / moves and twirls and the card activity light comes on then off every 15 seconds or so. After bricking a card before I am done with flashing that's why i bought this card preflashed into IT mode per the seller - IT MART.

I will try Pig Lovers bios option and report back tonight.

Thanks again for all of the help guys i appreciate it :)

AJ

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I have no fear flashing cards, send to me and cover ship and I'll get it working/tested for ya showing a working config. Have done it for a few others arnd here, if your non-US based prolly not worth it though.

Reactions: Ajgoyt

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Whitey I appreciate the offer but Piglover might be on to something with the bios - settings - I had a little bit of time at lunch here to remove the card and reboot the X9DRL-IF motherboard and i took some screen shots of the bios pages, if all else fails and it does need to be flashed or its dead ARNAV at the IT MART is willing to ship me another card.

See the screen shots of the bios and i beleive in the pci setting screen is the option or? sorry have to go back to work and i will check back later tonight. Thanks again EVERYONE.....

AJ

Attachments

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
On the PCIe/PCI/PNP Configuration page. Set "Slot x OPROM" to "disabled" on the slot the HBA is plugged in to (or - if you don't have anything where you need to boot option proms loaded - set all of the to "disabled").

That should skip loading the HBA BIOS and your off to the races. Of course the thing may be hanging because the card is broken - won't fix that - but at least you should be able to boot and figure out if the card works or not.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Disable slot 4 which is a PCI X 3 SLOT for the HBA And it boots but has lots of controller errors while trying to load Freenas 9.2 on install, if i unplug the SAS cable it will finish install of Freenas, as soon as i plug the SAS cable back into the HBA the freenas is trying to reset the controller and it also cannot find the drives - check out the video - Prime Photos - and the screen shots... looks like the card is broken?

Attachments

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Let me swap with a new one BRB
Nope installed brand new SAS cable same issue just is in a loop with the same errors, if I unplug the SAS cable from the HBA , the looping error goes away and FreeNas Boots. my other cable worked fine with my MV8 in the same slot , but FreeNas doesn't support Marvel cards that's why i bought this LSI....

Bad card!

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Disable slot 4 which is a PCI X 3 SLOT for the HBA And it boots but has lots of controller errors while trying to load Freenas 9.2 on install, if i unplug the SAS cable it will finish install of Freenas, as soon as i plug the SAS cable back into the HBA the freenas is trying to reset the controller and it also cannot find the drives - check out the video - Prime Photos - and the screen shots... looks like the card is broken?
The 15.10.09.00 firmware is HP-specific firmware for the H220. I don't know what changes it has from the generic LSI firmware (latest is 20.00.07.00, but the major version number is not synchronized between HP and generic firmware). Before you try flashing the card, I'd suggest checking to see if anyone has the HP firmware working with FreeNAS - the last thing you want to do is flash the card and then not be able to return it if it is actually defective.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
I bought the card as per it was supposed to be in IT Mode already and I'm terrible at flashing cards I've bricked one already. Arnav at the IT Mart will have to send another for me two try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Im back wanted to report the IT mart shipped another card and i am here to report no issues with the replacement card, it boots and initializes for a couple seconds then loads all the drives in FreeNas or Unraid or Windows....

The IT mart does not want the old card back so i figured maybe try and flash it. what process / guide would you use to flash this card? There are a few guides and want some expert opinion .

heck if it works great if not then we know for sure there's a real issue with the old card.