8TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy/eBay $120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Reactions: Spartacus

josh

Oct 21, 2013
For some reason Amazon allowed me to buy 8x 8TBs even though the limit is supposedly 4 per customer. I might have gotten carried away. Local currency converted from 125USD at spot rate + free direct international shipping, can't complain about it

Reactions: nikalai

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For some reason Amazon allowed me to buy 8x 8TBs even though the limit is supposedly 4 per customer. I might have gotten carried away. Local currency converted from 125USD at spot rate + free direct international shipping, can't complain about it
Nice! Worse case you can unload the spare drives to someone local who needs them. :)

Cheddoleum

Feb 19, 2014
Yep either shucking or buying them from wd direct somehow is my assumption.
I've just noticed there are an inexplicable number of sellers selling the empty cases ("open box" -- well, no s***, they'd have to be) on ebay for upwards of $25, maybe that's where the profit is. Except I can't imagine somebody paying that.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've just noticed there are an inexplicable number of sellers selling the empty cases ("open box" -- well, no s***, they'd have to be) on ebay for upwards of $25, maybe that's where the profit is. Except I can't imagine somebody paying that.
I never thought of people selling the cases either, but sure enough, they are there, and there's been some sold as well. I'm just shocked at the price as I would think people would just dump them for whatever they can get them for (auction).

I found this listing and I suspect these cases are a clue to something nefarious going on:
Western Digital WD Elements ENCLOSURE ONLY new external Hard Drive Case PC MAC | eBay

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Received the 2x Easystores I bought from the BB eBay store. No swapped drives thankfully. Drives are the Helium variant of EMAZ. Running full surface tests now.
Waiting for the other 8x Elements from Amazon to arrive in a week to see if the $20 premium for the Easystores was justified.

Reactions: nikalai

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Pretty sure other than peace of mind around being able to return to store and/or best buy rewards points they’re the exact same.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Pretty sure other than peace of mind around being able to return to store and/or best buy rewards points they’re the exact same.
Why do people consider BB to have a better return experience? Amazon sends someone to pick it up from your place for free.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Maybe I should just buy these instead of going through the trouble with shucking? Not like the drives would fail within the first 2 years anyway? Thoughts?
I buy them with my Amex which adds another 2 years warranty on top. Really worth the piece of mind for 4 years.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Why do people consider BB to have a better return experience? Amazon sends someone to pick it up from your place for free.
Thats only a recent consideration, previously you had to drop off at USPS or Fedex sometimes with a ship charge (albeit small one), or at one of the Amazon dropoff sites for free ~ only one of those here in Austin downtown.

For some folks it matters to get your money back quicker, and others just prefer a face to face transaction.
I got the easystores for $120 (129 w/ tax), so still a solid price I only buy them when they're on sale I already have elite plus so I got 45 days to test it out and run it in production for several weeks to make sure they're good vs the amazon 30 (though its currently getting into holiday return for all the shops so many are good till January 31).

Reactions: itronin

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Pretty much all amex cards: Extended Warranty - FAQs - American Express US

From what I've read its a really drawn out process though, equivalent to submitting insurance claim (which is likely what it is).
I bought my NAS on my amex for this reason.
I've had to use it about 6 or so times over the past few years. It is pretty simple once you've done it once or twice. Just keep the receipt (I save in my gdrive after any purchase now to find them easily), submit the claim, and you get a credit to your account within weeks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I've had to use it about 6 or so times over the past few years. It is pretty simple once you've done it once or twice. Just keep the receipt (I save in my gdrive after any purchase now to find them easily), submit the claim, and you get a credit to your account within weeks.
Is this the full original purchase amount or adjusted for depreciation? Seems abusable.