$80 FS: DELL INTEL DC S3500 300GB 2.5'' SSD SSDSC2BB300G4T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Can't find writes and reads in any of the software, smartmontools, intel toolbox etc.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@Sable yeah if they're not there then @Jax_the_Gnome is right, likely an OEM SSD (Dell, HP, Etc) you would need one of their controllers to see the Writes and likely other data. (I missed the 'DELL' name in title, my bad or I would have mentioned it earlier.)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
After 'googling' model shown in OP from MET SERVER PARTS: ssdsc2bb300g4t, it seems that these are 3 Gb/s drives

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
How do these compare to the something like the Samsung 850 EVO?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Comparison for what though?

You'll find on the forum here most are talking about using them in servers where steady-state and enterprise configured garbage collection is much more valuable than short bursts at higher performance.

You can't even compare how power loss protection wroks between the two because the evo does not even have it... so if you want PLP then the EVO is already out.

I'd urge reading up on the STH Main site about enterprise drives, and then the forum there's a TON of topics from 2015 and 2016 talking about PLP, steady state, and misleading performance #s of consumer drives that don't hold up in enterprise / multi-use environments.

Reactions: Boddy

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Comparison for what though?

You'll find on the forum here most are talking about using them in servers where steady-state and enterprise configured garbage collection is much more valuable than short bursts at higher performance.

You can't even compare how power loss protection wroks between the two because the evo does not even have it... so if you want PLP then the EVO is already out.

I'd urge reading up on the STH Main site about enterprise drives, and then the forum there's a TON of topics from 2015 and 2016 talking about PLP, steady state, and misleading performance #s of consumer drives that don't hold up in enterprise / multi-use environments.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you :)

Feb 5, 2017
Myrtle Beach, SC
Yes. theITmart_ak (from MET) told me this is a limitation in the Dell firmware.

It is indeed a limitation in the Dell firmware. Dell crippled the drives. They can be happily uncrippled back to 6gb/s using the Intel SSD Data Center toolkit. Even after the firmware mod, the drive will report SATA 2.6 compliance -- which is an Intel confirmed bug in the way the drive reports its own capabilities. The drive conforms to SATA 3.0 and will run at 6gb/s.

Reactions: Boddy

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
It is indeed a limitation in the Dell firmware. Dell crippled the drives. They can be happily uncrippled back to 6gb/s using the Intel SSD Data Center toolkit. Even after the firmware mod, the drive will report SATA 2.6 compliance -- which is an Intel confirmed bug in the way the drive reports its own capabilities. The drive conforms to SATA 3.0 and will run at 6gb/s.
Where do you get the Intel firmware?

Code:
- Intel SSD DC S3500 Series BTWLxxxxx2N300PGN -

Bootloader : Property not found
DevicePath : \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE3
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : D201DL13
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive.
Index : 0
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDSC2BB300G4T
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC S3500 Series
SerialNumber : BTWLxxxxx2N300PGN

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Here's a link to the SS Data Center Tool. After installing, throw this at it:

isdct set -intelssd 0 physpeed=6

That'll set the speed to 6gb/s.
Thanks!

Code:
SataGen1 : True