4x32GB Innodisk 2133P memory $40

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
EDIT: typo/some clarification

I was the person who bought them.

They don't work and I tried them in a P920 and X11DPU. The P920 produces a memory beep code (3 short, 1 long) with error code 8536 (the codes change when different amount of DIMMs are installed, starting with 85xx; I couldn't quickly find code numbers on the internet). The Supermicro says DIMM configuration error (displaying troubled DIMM slot) during POST. These two systems work with normal ECC RDIMMs and the X11 supports LRDIMMs. The P920's manuals don't mention LRDIMMs--only RDIMM and 3DS. The P920 won't POST with them installed while the X11DPU ignores them and completes POST.

These DIMMs (M4L0-BGSUHCRG) are supposedly 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-17000 ECC Registered CL15 Load Reduced DIMMs 1.2V quad rank modules. The modules that work are 32GB DDR4-3200 ECC Registered CL22 DIMMs 1.2V dual rank (2RX4).

The real issue with these modules is they appear to be physical security/rugged memory where after you install it, it is very difficult to remove because there is an adhesive strip on a blue ledge at the bottom.
IMG_E4280a.jpg

When I received them, they all looked like the right 2 modules above, with plastic film still on. I guess even though the proper part is installed they still need to be installed correctly. The other problem is they are very difficult install due to the tight tolerances of the ledges. They need to be exact or else it won't glue to the DIMM slots. I'm positive the adhesive protector adds an important 0.1mm that can prevent proper insertion. So there is no distinct "click" one hears when inserting normal memory modules. The first time I inserted 2 into the X11DPU it displayed failing DIMM, configuration error. After I removed the plastic backing and reinserting I just got "configuration error." I was fortunate the adhesive wasn't super glue!

The ledges have Germane Systems ... FX-TN debossed on them. Germane was a rugged server maker, now part of Mercury Systems an aerospace and defense technology company.
IMG_E4281a.jpg

Lastly the condition of the labels appear to have been exposed to moisture/liquid. Maybe they were installed in an industrial/military application and was exposed to "outside the environment."

Interesting piece of kit, but not for the faint of heart. I don't think I want to use them unless they were going to space in a 5 year mission to explore new worlds.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@klui, thanks for sharing the story. I'd happened to see the original post just after it went up, and was taking a moment to consider whether or not I REALLY needed to buy yet another thing that would be "a really great deal"...if it worked. It was all the time needed for you to sweep in and save me from myself. :D

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
Sorry, it looks like I steered you wrong! But thanks a lot for that write up! Very interesting modules.