32GB DDR4 Samsung PC4-2666V Registered ECC DIMMs

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Jagged, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Jagged

Jagged New Member

Samir, TedB and alex_stief like this.
  2. captainjohn

captainjohn New Member

We have see high failure rates on Samsung DIMMs lately. I'd strongly recommend testing these on arrival.

Samir likes this.
  3. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

At these prices for what they say they are I wonder how real they are... I know dell/HP/Lenovo mark up like crazy but they look at historical % and now and something doesn’t really add up to me. Possibly a reason for failures ?

Samir likes this.
  4. alex_stief

alex_stief Active Member

Well these are the cheapest DDR4 RDIMMs after all. I can pick them up new for ~110€.
    So 88$ used does not seem too far off.

Samir likes this.
  5. sparx

sparx Active Member

If you have a new machine it should be pretty easy to run the post package repair from bios. So even if you have some single bit error from the DIMM it should be possible to save it. All DDR4 memories have extra space (Same as SSDs) and can repair themselves. Its only that you'd need a newer platform for BIOS to support it. Some time after Skylake for supermicro. Serious vendors could implement it on earlier platforms. However its probably not common.
    Check out this supermicro manual on page 81. https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C620/MNL-2147.pdf

Rand__ and Samir like this.
  6. Samir

Samir Active Member

I'd suspect those are fakes.
    Remember the old saying-- if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. And it's never more true than when buying IT stuff on ebay/amazon.

7. alex_stief

alex_stief Active Member

8. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

PPR TypePost Package Repair (PPR) is a new feature available for the DDR4 Technology. PPR provides additional spare capacity within a DDR4 DRAM module that is used to replace faulty cell areas detected during system boot. PPR offers two types of memory repairs. Soft Post Package Repair (sPPR) provides a quick, temporary fix on a raw element in a bank group of a DDR4 DRAM device, while hard Post Package Repair (hPPR) will take a longer time to provide a permanent repair on a raw element. The options are Auto, Soft PPR, Hard PPR, and PPR Disabled

Quite interesting, thanks !

sparx likes this.
  9. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

If these are not fakes and not poorly binned stock then maybe it’s just a case of Samsung not being as good as it used to be for memory or possibly just some bad batch’s.

10. SRussell

SRussell Member

Anyone know what the warranty period is for Samsung? Looking at DIMMs on Amazon; most listed 1 year as the warranty.