32GB DDR4 Samsung PC4-2666V Registered ECC DIMMs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
At these prices for what they say they are I wonder how real they are... I know dell/HP/Lenovo mark up like crazy but they look at historical % and now and something doesn’t really add up to me. Possibly a reason for failures ?

Reactions: Samir

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Well these are the cheapest DDR4 RDIMMs after all. I can pick them up new for ~110€.
So 88$ used does not seem too far off.

Reactions: Samir

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
If you have a new machine it should be pretty easy to run the post package repair from bios. So even if you have some single bit error from the DIMM it should be possible to save it. All DDR4 memories have extra space (Same as SSDs) and can repair themselves. Its only that you'd need a newer platform for BIOS to support it. Some time after Skylake for supermicro. Serious vendors could implement it on earlier platforms. However its probably not common.
Check out this supermicro manual on page 81. https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C620/MNL-2147.pdf

Reactions: Rand__ and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
We have see high failure rates on Samsung DIMMs lately. I'd strongly recommend testing these on arrival.
I'd suspect those are fakes.
At these prices for what they say they are I wonder how real they are... I know dell/HP/Lenovo mark up like crazy but they look at historical % and now and something doesn’t really add up to me. Possibly a reason for failures ?
Remember the old saying-- if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. And it's never more true than when buying IT stuff on ebay/amazon.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
PPR TypePost Package Repair (PPR) is a new feature available for the DDR4 Technology. PPR provides additional spare capacity within a DDR4 DRAM module that is used to replace faulty cell areas detected during system boot. PPR offers two types of memory repairs. Soft Post Package Repair (sPPR) provides a quick, temporary fix on a raw element in a bank group of a DDR4 DRAM device, while hard Post Package Repair (hPPR) will take a longer time to provide a permanent repair on a raw element. The options are Auto, Soft PPR, Hard PPR, and PPR Disabled

Quite interesting, thanks !

Reactions: sparx

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If these are not fakes and not poorly binned stock then maybe it’s just a case of Samsung not being as good as it used to be for memory or possibly just some bad batch’s.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Anyone know what the warranty period is for Samsung? Looking at DIMMs on Amazon; most listed 1 year as the warranty.