2U narrow ilm active cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fiddletwix

Nov 25, 2013
This is what I currently have have

* Dual Processor (E5-2620, 95w) cooled with stock passive SM cooler
* 2U chassis
* Narrow ilm 2011 sockets.

It runs reasonably hot at 50C. I was thinking of getting the stock SM active cooler but I am sensitive to noise level and I suspect then fan will be running speeds where I notice the sound. I wanted to swap out the stock fan with something that has a better noise/airflow balance and am looking at recommendations

I am also open to other options but didn't find anything beyond Dynatrons and SM and the Dynatrons seem to have the same noise challenges.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
I wanted to swap out the stock fan with something that has a better noise/airflow balance and am looking at recommendations
I use Supermicro SNK-P0048AP4 and its fan can go to 8-9k rpm which is really loud. You can replace it with basically any 60x60x25mm fan. I replaced mine with Noctua A6x25. Or cheaper Arctic Cooling F6.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@marv do you by any chance see any improvement in cooling by installing SNK-P0048AP4 with fan ?
I notice that my motherboard with staggered or inline cpu position always have over 10degress variance between the front and the back cpu.
If SNK-P0048AP4 provides significant cooling, I might try to replace the back cpu with this.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
I run the Dynatron R24 on a SM board with the E5-2670 cpu, it's an open chassis but the fans are literally whisper quiet at idle.
Reviews state differently but this is the 2nd open chassis system I've used this cooler with and it has been great.

IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

marv

Apr 2, 2015
do you by any chance see any improvement in cooling by installing SNK-P0048AP4 with fan ?
I have custom case with X9SRL, which has only single socket, but now it shows 45 °C and I remember that with failed fan it was showing 70°C (E5-2660v2).

fiddletwix

Nov 25, 2013
I use Supermicro SNK-P0048AP4 and its fan can go to 8-9k rpm which is really loud. You can replace it with basically any 60x60x25mm fan. I replaced mine with Noctua A6x25. Or cheaper Arctic Cooling F6.
This is what I went with because I don't have a good open chassis solution right now. I just got the parts today and will try it out tonight.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@marv do you by any chance see any improvement in cooling by installing SNK-P0048AP4 with fan ?
I notice that my motherboard with staggered or inline cpu position always have over 10degress variance between the front and the back cpu.
If SNK-P0048AP4 provides significant cooling, I might try to replace the back cpu with this.
No matter whether you choose SM or Dynatron active coolers, orient the fans such that the rear fan is pulling air through the heat sink.

Fan -> heatsink -> heatsink -> fan

This layout provides more space for cooler air to enter the rear heatsink than Fan - HSK - Fan - HSK orientation.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
that's really interesting, I have a system in a tower case with two tower coolers... I may try that orientation to see how it works!

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
No matter whether you choose SM or Dynatron active coolers, orient the fans such that the rear fan is pulling air through the heat sink.

Fan -> heatsink -> heatsink -> fan

This layout provides more space for cooler air to enter the rear heatsink than Fan - HSK - Fan - HSK orientation.
Yep yep. I do this to keep some 2U dynatrons a little quieter. And on my 4U Z9PA-D8 with 4U SM heatsinks where the CPUs are super close together.

With Dynatron R14 I couldn't find any fans that were quiet and provided enough airflow. But running the stock Dynatron fans at 100% speed on 7v made them just right.