256GB on Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Nugget, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Nugget

Nugget New Member

I'm hoping to stuff 256GB (4x64GB) onto a Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF (it's a FreeNAS Mini XL+) but I'm not having much Luck. This is a supported config according to the manual, but Supermicro doesn't supply any certified part numbers for this config (or even a 128gb config of 32gb sticks).

I bought some sticks on Amazon that I thought would work, but with them installed in the box the machine hangs on POST with "PEI--Intel MRC Execution... 60". I did find this thread which was similar (but a different code). Based on that, though, I have let the frozen POST screen sit for 12 hours with no effect, so I don't think it's just the timeout mentioned there.

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Worst case I'll just do 128GB, but I'd really love to max this thing out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Is that amazon RAM you acquired known working in another system?

3. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

Check compatibility of the DIMMS you are using. IIRC, for 64GB DIMMS in that board you have to use "Load Reduced RDIMMS", aka LRDIMMS.

4. Nugget

Nugget New Member

I don't have any other systems here that I'm able to use to test the RAM with. The motherboard manual makes no reference to LRDIMMs, but that's a possible explanation.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 1.25.54 PM.png

5. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Oh I read it the the other way that you can’t use LR dimms in the C3000 series systems. That the memory controller was not setup for that. Have to dig deep but may also find there is a limit to the number or ranks supported, most 64gb are 4Rx4 but for sure not all.

Just as a reference 128gb config with 4 x 32gb works.
    Samsung 32gb 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40CB1-CRC4Q

I never thought anybody would go to 256gb as they would run out of CPU for for your application I see why.

6. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

7. Nugget

Nugget New Member

Interesting, that does seem definitive. Going by the "MEM-DR464L-SL01-ER24" part number, that should be what I bought (according to Supermicro), but looking at the actual sticks they sent they're labelled as 2Rx4. So I didn't get what I ordered. I guess now I just need to find a source for 4Rx4 sticks. Thanks so much, @Evan! I learned a thing today!

8. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

And I think that needs to be 4Rx4 regular RDIMM... not sure how common what your looking for.
    2Rx4 RDIMM if what you mostly use in cascade lake systems.

I got stuck with some 16GB ddr4 rdimm 1Rx4 which is an odd config... that seems to only work in the full Xeon systems also.

Intel do some odd things with supported memory for sure and things that don’t make sense but it’s just what is made or coded to support.

9. Nugget

Nugget New Member

Following up with a non-successful attempt. This Samsung RAM does not work. It's definitely 4Rx4 but same effect when installed.

10. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Not much use saying it supports 256gb ram and then not having tested and certified any dimms for it. Bit poor from SM, you probably are a real edge case though , I think most will be happy and have never looked past 128gb for those CPU’s.

Nugget likes this.
  11. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

I've just had the same hang at boot ("PEI--Intel MRC Execution... 60") after upgrading a A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F to BIOS 1.2 - a system that was previously working for over a year.

The system contains two bog-standard 4GB sticks of Crucial ECC RDIMMs (Kit no. CT2K4G4RFS8266, P/N 9ASF51272PZ-2G6B1) which have been working fine up until now. I'm not convinced it's memory yet but rolling back the BIOS hasn't fixed it either so it looks like I'll be having to get in touch with their support...

Edit: rolling back to BIOS 1.1b, erasing the SMBIOS, cold boot and then warm reset and a veeeeeeery long POST finally got me in to a bootable state, so I'll hopefully be able to get some sleep tonight at least...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Nugget and Tha_14 like this.
  12. geppi

geppi New Member

@EffrafaxOfWug Did you receive any feedback from SM support ?

I'm running a A2SDi-H-TF with 128GB memory myself on BIOS 1.1c without problems.

The system is currently only the backup for my main server but roles will soon be swapped between the two.
    Usually I bring the BIOS to the latest released level before I take a system into production and then never touch it again as long as there are no issues that would require a BIOS upgrade.

Therefore I would upgrade the BIOS from 1.1c to 1.2 before swapping roles but probably better avoid it if there is a major issue lurking in revision 1.2.

13. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

Not had time to get in touch with them yet, I didn't get to bed until past 2 ;)

Given SM's usual stance on BIOS upgrades ("don't do it unless you need to do it and we take no responsibility if doing it breaks it or not doing it doesn't fix it" and their lack of any sort of changelog unless there's a CVE involved) I'm not holding out a huge amount of hope; next time I get a change window I'll try upgrading the BIOS and making sure the SMBIOS is cleared as well (it defaults to being retained) but for now I'm avoiding the 1.2 series.

14. Nugget

Nugget New Member

For the record, I'm on 1.1c and hesitate to update for exactly the reasons @EffrafaxOfWug mentions. I do still have the Samsung sticks on hand, though, so it might be worth experimenting before I ship them back.

15. geppi

geppi New Member

Unfortunately this is also my experience and seems to be their general support policy.
    They generally do not publish the BIOS changelogs but it looks like you can get a particular when asking for it within the communication on a support case. At least I was successful in getting the BIOS changelog of a different MB from SM support some time ago.

@EffrafaxOfWug Should you decide to open a support case on the experienced issue would you mind asking for the BIOS changelog and post it here please ?