Supermicro X11SCH-F hangs a t boot, code 2F

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by jjletho, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:35 AM.

1. jjletho

jjletho New Member

Hi,
    I have just assembled a Supermicro X11SCH-F with a Xeon E-2126G and two sticks of Kingston 16 gb ddr4 (KSM26ED8/16ME).
    The motherboard very often, but not always, hangs at boot. The message shown on the screen is "PEI--Intel MRC Execution... 2F"

This code is often related to memory problems, so i did several test in that direction: moved dimm in different position, booted with only one dimm, etc. conclusion was that the problem occour less frecuency with only one dimm, but never disappear completely. In the occasion in which the system booted correctly I also ran succesfully several memtest.

I contacted both Kingston and Supermicro.
    Kingston says dimm should be compatible, but they never tested in lab. Supermicro says only dimm on their compatibility list are certified, but their compatibility list is ridiculously short!

Do you have any suggestion? Any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.

2. mbosma

mbosma New Member

I have the same code on my C3758 supermicro board.

Only when I do a cold bopt after disconnecting power this code hangs for a while.
    The more ram I put in there the longer it hangs, I have to wait 15 minutes for it to boot with 64gb.
    I have not had any cases where it wouldn't boot at all, it just takes a while.

3. Kev

Kev Active Member

Same experience. If you change memory config, it will take that long to boot and then next boot is fast.

4. RageBone

RageBone Member

how about a bios update? Is the latest version installed ?

5. jjletho

jjletho New Member

Hi,
    thank you for your reply.

In my case when it boots correctly it needs 2/3 minutes, no more.
    The first boot after having just assembled the computer, I waited for about 40 minutes then i turned off.
    Disconnecting power cord does not make any differences in my case, but I'll do some more tests to see if there is correlation between disconnecting power or changing dimm configuration/position and the boot hang. I'll also try to wait longer

The Mb is quite new, there aren't any new bios available.

Thank you