200gb Enterprise SSDs 59$ - HGST and Samsungs - HUSSL4020ALF400 and MZ-3S92000

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I have my standard HGST SSD ebay alerts running and came across this deal today:

59$ obo (+$14 ship , +$2.5 ship for each addtl, so real deal is at qty 2 +) - 200gb HGST Enterprise SSD FIBER CHANNEL (not sas nor SATA ) - hgst model: HUSSL4020ALF400

Hitachi HGST 200GB FC Fibre Channel 3.5" SSD HUSSL4020ALF400 / 118032744 4GB | eBay

Link to Spec sheet from HGST on this drive (NOTE the ALF200 in model number , its Fiber Channel, not SAS nor SATA) - but is 2m hr MTBF and 18 PB Write Endur. on SLC nand. (spec sheet says the FC version is 3.5" form factor, not 2.5" , i assume this is common for FC vs SAS/sata):

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/USSSD400S_ds.pdf

i bought 6 x of the 400gb SAS model of this same drive from this same ebay seller a few months back (think i paid ~ $130 ea)- i couldn't be happier with the drives, plus they came with super low drive writes (~ 10tb) and ~ 800 on hours (i have no idea about this batch though). The seller (vardata) was great, cut me a slight deal and packaging was among the best ive seen for drive shipping.

they also have 200gb Samsung enterprise ssds for the same price, but im not familiar with Samsung enterprise SSDs (im not sure if these are SAS or FC though, so do check):

Samsung Model: MZ-3S92000/0C3

SAMSUNG 200GB SSD EFD 3.5" MZ-3S92000/0C3 | eBay

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
As far as I can tell, the sammy drives seem to be sata - they have sata on the label, and it looks like the EMC part includes the conversion to FC in the tray.
I have been moving away from 3.5" drives for a long time, but the sammies are tempting, and a friend will probably pick up a couple of the FC drives for his big SGIs - Thanks!

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Yea, some kind of FC to Sata conversion HW on the Samsung drives doesn't sound too good to me.

But those hgst ssd drives are just the best! (My own experiences from the sas version) so I'm sure these native FC versions of hgst ssds have gotta be great as well.

So JPK tell your friend interested in the FC HGST drives , he can't go wrong- I feel HGST enterprise SSD's are the *best* enterprise level SSDs around, especially this particular model series from hgst. I remember about a year to 18 months ago , even on eBay used, the prices for enterprise HGST SSDs were astronomical, I'm so happy they came down SO low recently in the past 3 to 4 months (on eBay that is, new they are still really high).

I love the hgst enterprise HDDs too, I have well over 150 of them, all bought used and at various times, spinning 24/7 for nearly 3 years now and have yet to have a single failure.... in that same timeframe I've had 6x seagate failures ( various models, all bought new). And four western digital failures (also all bought new).

I exclusively buy HGST HDD's now , whether new or used (usually used).