2.5Gb/ SFP+ uplink / POE+ managed switch landscape is frustrating right now.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Nov 13, 2022
From the look of it we have about 3 tiers of options.

1. The AliExpress tier with the reference chipset Horco and other brands of identical hardware. As cheap as these are, from a managed switch point of view it seems like DAC / SFP+ compatibility is a crap shoot and doing things like LACP ports is hit or miss. Firmware updates seem to be a gamble at best.
2. "Affordable" branded devices.. TP-link, Microtik, they have some solid options short of the POE selection.. seems like a waiting game for POE+ or more POE options.
3. More expensive options Unifi, QNAP, you are in the $600-$1000 plus range if you want POE+.

I feel like the worth while hardware is going to appear in that second tier, but we are stuck waiting.. TP-Link does have the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 but it is a physically large switch and for POE+ I want something that can fit in my homes structured wiring cabinet.

Reactions: blunden

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
This is why I ended up with the TL-SG3210XHP-M2.
Exchanged the fans with Noctuas

Would love to upgrade to the new
SG3428XPP-M2

Nov 13, 2022
This is why I ended up with the TL-SG3210XHP-M2.
For me the issue is that the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 is rather large for an 8 + 2 port switch, it would fit fine in my 19" server rack but not my structured cabling cabinet where my homes network runs terminate and I need POE. I think it will be too large for my use.

Nov 13, 2022
Hmm having trouble finding pricing in my region but since they have a small one and a rack mount one that would be what I am looking for depending on price and assuming advanced managed features like LACP work correctly.

Is the management cloud only? That would be a deal breaker.

fabricist

Mar 5, 2020
What do you think about Zyxel XMG1915-18EP?
Zyxel XMG1915-10EP or XMG1915-18EP is also the switch I am interested in. Pricing is about 320 CHF (~360 USD) in ch for the 10-EP. Either cloud managed or conventional web management from what it looks like. Unfortunately no reviews to be found (maybe STH could jump in ;)). I'd rather spend a bit more and get a switch from a vendor with known reputation. Also documentation for this model is available and sound.

Anyone with experience on this series of switches?

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
If you are planning for a larger network, then I would decide for one SDN system…

Unifi
Omada
Aruba
Mikrotik
etc.

I chose Omada as the switches were more affordable than Unifi… APs are smilar…
The Zyxel looks interesting, but no clue how good their software is

Nov 13, 2022
I am currently looking for my home setup but I want a vendor / product with support / firmware updates / at the very least a full set of WORKING vlan/trunk/LACP features.. The Aliexpress switches seem to be below that mark.

flipper203

Feb 6, 2024
about the XMG1915-10EP can we use it without the nebula cloud ? Which functionalities would be unavailable ?
I am also looking for a 2.5 POE / 2x SFP 10g switch, manageable if possible. I am not really interested in cloud management, I left Unifi and want to keep it simple, Opnsense, an AP and a small witch near the TV...

Nov 13, 2022
check out Trendnet:
Took a look, their TPE-3102WS 8x2.5 + 2x10 switch is the same price as Unifi's USW-Enterprise-8-PoE (120W). Nice to have more options but odd they are the same price, I normally see Trendnet as one of the cheapest brands along with TPlink

tamuin

Oct 22, 2023
Took a look, their TPE-3102WS 8x2.5 + 2x10 switch is the same price as Unifi's USW-Enterprise-8-PoE (120W). Nice to have more options but odd they are the same price, I normally see Trendnet as one of the cheapest brands along with TPlink
I agree that Trendnet is typically at a price point that is comparable to TP Link. Out of curiosity where are you seeing the USW-Enterprise-8-PoE for the same price as the TPE-3102WS? The places I have looked show ~$100 price difference. If they are the same price the Ubiquiti product is a much better buy, it is an L3 switch while the Trendnet is a web managed switch.

I have played with the non-POE version of the Trendnet switch, from my limited time with them I thought they were nice but booted really slow. While I don't boot my switches often I wondered if the slow boot was an indication of them being under powered. I did not run iperf tests to see what throughput I could get. I am happy with my inexpensive Xike / Seekerstore switches.

For people who might be interested in the Trendnet switches it is worth checking out the Trendnet Direct listing at Amazon. It appears Trendnet sells their refurbished switches here. The products available on this page frequently change. At the time that I am writing this post there is a TPE-3102WS listed for $266 + $13 shipping.

Last edited:

NWA

Feb 27, 2024
What a bad situation in the market, PC / MiniPC / routers / NASes / ISP modems, all changed to 2.5Gs, but there are not many switches. And I'd in fact like 25gbit+2.5gbit ideally. For that one, I will have to wait for decades. Vendors also don't care about density what people want, they're busy bringing "cloud" nonsense. That is so unnecessary, like @flipper203 said. Also some are busy with poor security (on top of insecure cloud), injecting hardcoded passwords. It all smells "retail".

Aliexpress unmanaged, or thrash software infested, low quality, exploding power adapter garbage is out of question. I'd much rather have their MiniPC than a switch because of the software.

So these are our choices:
  • Zyxel XMG1915-10E(P) alt. XGS1210-12 with too few 2.5g ports
  • Tplink TL-SG3210XHP-M2
  • Ubiqiti USW-Enterprise-8-PoE
  • MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN
  • Qnap QSW-M2108-2C

APPS

Zyxel does run without cloud bs. And that's the only way to fully utilized the functionality. The Nebula means not just privacy nightmare, but also functionality reduction. The Android app sadly requires the cloud. Cloud can't be self hosted. => WebGUI

Tplink and Ubiqity app also depend on cloud. But what I read, also the whole operation depends on it. That is insane. It's just a switch! However the advantage is you can host SDN yourself. That would enable the mobile app probably. But the condition is "be online" if I hear correctly.

All I know about Mikrotik is they bring all functionality to the app. And their software is off limits.

PRICE

Ubiqity > Tplink > Zyxel > Mikrotik. Zyxel and Mikrotik are basically half price of the most expensive one.

ENERGY

Measuring all with no POE devices attached. Sadly, just the presence of POE means +50% higher readings.

Zyxel: 5-13w non POE and 8-20w for POE model (minimum to maximum) is VERY good. Very good specs, I can find even exact adapter data, and even power conversion rate. Offers both POE and nonPOE variants.
Tplink: 17W max is good.
Ubiquiti: they don't bother with specs, sadly. What my research shows is the idle consumption is shocking 21W. I don't know if the funny display eats that.
Mikrotik: again no environmental data, the maximum is 21w to 34w (with "attachments") which is mediocre. Hearing 2 RJ45 and 1 SFP generates 12.7w. Hearing the idle consumption is 10.5W. No POE on this model.
Qnap: 36w max, poor. No POE on this model.

NOISE

Zyxel: 0dB. Overheating status unknown. Lack of reviews.
Tplink: Reportedly 50db. 2 fans. Super noisy.
Ubiquiti: mostly 0dB. 1 fan. Overheating massively.
Mikrotik: mostly 0dB. Sometimes 46dB, reportedly. 1 fan.

SIZE

Zyxel is tiny, and low profile which is excellent. Tplink is huge. Ubiqity and Mikrotik are relatively small, but tall. Mikrotik is ugly as usual.

FUNCTIONS

All have VLAN, aggregation and lot of common functions. I didn't investigate further, but i guess Ubiqity, Mikrotik > Tplink > Zyxel, all with slight difference.

OVERALL

Seems Zyxel offer is the best. Smallest footprint, no noise, great price, newest of the batch. I could have POE version and still have great power consumption. If it's true. I have all cameras far from switches, so I'd buy POE version just "in case". They also have XS1930 model with 10gbit but the power reading escalate shockingly (and yet, you will hear folks bashing 2.5gbit like it didn't make sense).
Not much data for Qnap. I remember their NAS, and their infamous "security", it's so horrible I wouldn't bother checking. By the way, Zyxel could be the same, they also hardcoded passwords just recently. Well, Taiwan attitude: zero ***** given.

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
[...] Ubiquiti app also depend on cloud. But what I read, also the whole operation depends on it. That is insane. It's just a switch! However the advantage is you can host SDN yourself. That would enable the mobile app probably. But the condition is "be online" if I hear correctly.
No, Ubiquiti's cloud features are entirely optional (possibly with the exception of app notifications). Just self-host the controller and disable remote access. You don't have to create a UI.com account either if you don't want to.

The mobile app can connect either via the cloud or directly to your controller if it's reachable from your current network (or over a VPN). I use it for my APs in the latter configuration, using a WireGuard VPN when I need to reach remotely.

Reactions: NWA
Nov 13, 2022
Tplink and Ubiqity app also depend on cloud. But what I read, also the whole operation depends on it. That is insane. It's just a switch!
TPLink OMADA switches have both a Web UI and OMADA SDN control IIRC.
Ubiquity device MUST have a controller but you can self host it with local credentials, hybrid cloud management is optional. I already run a Unify controller in a docker locally with the cloud part turned off.

Reactions: NWA