2 - 2670's arrived this afternoon and doh!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Supermicro x9drg-qf bios 3.0 (new enough to support v2)

I was stoked. I've been running a borrowed single Cpu waiting for these.

I swapped in the first Cpu into CPU1
Woo hoo! Everything checked out in bios.

I plugged in the second Cpu.. shit, ****. No little green power light, no ipmi, no post, fan spins, fan stops.

Tried putting the 2nd Cpu int CPU1. Works like a dream... So both CPUs are good. All my RAM works in CPU1.

Tried with and without RAM on CPU2.
No nothing....

Am I missing a jumper/bios/ipmi setting or is it likely I have a dud board? :(

thanks as always... soon to be swapping to my 4rth board on this build.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Yup, that's what I suspected. Now I have to return this board and shop for another. :( .. I hope number 4 is luckier.

This board was local and the seller has been good so the return likely won't be entirely painful but it's going to suck going through the weeks of shopping, shipping, and testing again

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Not a stupid question at all. This board won't post even CPU1 without all four power connections plugged in.

So yes.. I just finished acquiring psu that has all the connectors to support this board.

That's 2-8 pins, 1 - 4 pin, and the 24 pin connecter

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The behavior you describe is almost always bent pins on the CPU2 socket. I'd pull CPU2 and inspect the socket really, really carefully - with a magnifying glass at least and preferably a jewelers loupe if you can get one. Straighten any bent ones very carefully.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have a 5x loop and a 30x hand held :) and I will look again with my loop but I have looked twice. The CPU2 socket looks pretty enough that it may never have been used... checking a third time now.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
This whole used business of motherboards is a big waste of time. I feel your pain and I'm going through it myself. Personally I don't think I'd do it again. My current board is at SM repairs so hoping that it comes back in great shape.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
In most case the markdown on a used motherboard is significant (not in the case of the sm x9's which are selling at almost retail). I did get an excellent price on my non-working motherboard from a local seller but I learned that you need to ask the right questions and buy from someone that has purchased off-lease equipment, has the ability to fully test, and is not motivated to sell garbage.

Lesson learned. I wouldn't give up on off lease equipment for a home lab. The price differential is so high that in many cases it is not possible to purchase equivalent hardware new. I also like the idea of not sending the equipment to the landfill. Reuse is a lot better than recycle.

Still I am feeling a bit cursed at the moment. I need hardware that I can swap on fleabay for other hardware and the next stop for this motherboard is the recycler despite it's ability to run 1 CPU. It's got no resale value.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I suggest sending the board to SM to fix. The labor warranty on this board is 3 years. So highly possibly the repair will be cheap.

Turn around times 5-10 business days but you get a working board back.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I am still hoping to return this board to the person I purchased it from. This is not a new board and almost certainly not under warranty so free labour seems unlikely. Paying for an hour of a technician's time, plus shipping both ways makes little sense.