1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Sleyk

Your Friendly Knowledgable Helper and Techlover!
Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I really like the simplicity of this box, and it looks clean and nice. The length though! My gosh, they werent messing around! Still, an excellent solid buy for $150. :p

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Does anyone know if there is a 1u I/O shield for this at all? Looking to use it in a Supermicro 512 chassis.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
For some reason, seller didn't ship the item for a few days. And then with all the things going, I realized I won't have time to play with it for fun so I asked the seller to cancel the item. Seller claims BIOS being locked should not be an issue for installing an OS but I didn't want another big paper weight. I may consider buying the motherboard alone.

IMHO, if we can get the BIOS issue fixed, this will be a terrific firewall router with the correct software. Many firewall routers use intel CPU and AFAIK, most routers uses ARM cpus. I worked on software load balancers so intel CPUs can handle this workload without custom ASIC but correct software is the key.

Last edited:
Reactions: staph

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I'm now showing that Seller Notes on the auction says "BIOS updated" and it no longer says it has a password IN THAT SECTION. The main description does still say it, but I don't know if that can be edited after the auction is posted as easily. I remember it saying it had a password in the Seller's notes; does anyone know if UnixSurplus figured out a way around it?

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
We got the password. The password is Sl@b10s!
Excellent! I ordered mine earlier this afternoon figuring if nothing else I can use the chassis and was going to try flashing the X10SLH-F BIOS to it. I might still do it, but we'll see, and at least I don't need to.

thms

Aug 23, 2016
Is the one with the cpu + ram a good deal? Or am I better off getting those parts separately on eBay? Thanks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
We got the password. The password is Sl@b10s!
So do you think that password applies to every motherboard of this type?

And perhaps more importantly, I was thinking of buying this instead of spending money on a 10G switch. Would that be daft of me?

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Anyone know if this board works well with FreeNAS?
I would be flat-out shocked if it didn't. The X10SL7-F is one of the more popular boards out there for FreeNAS given it includes a SAS2308 controller, and as far as I can tell the primary difference between that board and this one is a whole bunch of 10G ports instead of a SAS2308. You'd still have a pair of PCIe ports as well to work with for an HBA.

Now if the seller would just get around to actually SHIPPING mine, since I bought it last Thursday...

Jul 14, 2017
How loud are these?
don't know off hand, but it is a 1U server, so it is unlikely to be quiet without some fan mods at a minimum.

The MB appears to have only passive cooling, so it's going to need a decent amount of air flow or some added fans.

Is the one with the cpu + ram a good deal? Or am I better off getting those parts separately on eBay? Thanks.
It does not appear to be a great deal. Quick search shows the CPU runs about $40+ on ebay and $100+ on the general market I think. RAM was about $60+ on Newegg. YMMV.

Last edited:

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
don't know off hand, but it is a 1U server, so it is unlikely to be quiet without some fan mods at a minimum.

The MB appears to have only passive cooling, so it's going to need a decent amount of air flow or some added fans.
You might be surprised. PWM counter-rotating fans like those used in this chassis idle at moderately reasonable speeds and while it's louder than my desktop at idle, it's not a screamer by any means. The problem comes when it goes under load, in which case yeah, it can get loud. But so can a desktop, too.

Reactions: Bert

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I honestly didn't even try an offer on it - I was fine with the price as-is. Of course, given that I'm going on nearly a week without a ship notification...

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
You might be surprised. PWM counter-rotating fans like those used in this chassis idle at moderately reasonable speeds and while it's louder than my desktop at idle, it's not a screamer by any means. The problem comes when it goes under load, in which case yeah, it can get loud. But so can a desktop, too.
I have 1U SuperMicro server like this and they are pleasantly quiet, definitely not a screamer. Of course, not something I will put into my bedroom but they are not much louder than my 3u system.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I bought the motherboard from the other seller who offers unlocked bios. The motherboard came but it is boot looping. I am pretty sure I set up the system correct as I have done hundreds of times before. I have never seen supermicro board boot looping. Has anyone had a similar problem or know solution to my problem?

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
I've been waffling back and forth on this one. Does anyone have a good source for cheap 10Gbase-T SFP+ modules? One or two from FS.com or Mikrotik at $70 (or $100) to get it hooked into existing infrastructure and the deal is lessened by a lot..

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Can anyone share their accepted offer for this deal?
I got accepted for $140 earlier today,
I would normally pick it up on way home from work but schedules are different these days and I'm not in a hurry. 10G seems like overkill for a network appliance.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
so anyone have feedback if my crazy dream of using this as a 10G switch is good crazy or bad crazy?
(I don't have any 10G networking equipment in my house right now, except for cat 6 and 6a cables).