16TB SAS Seagate Exo $374 in CDW Outlet

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Samir, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Samir

Samir Active Member

2. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Wish I could too but I just purchased a new vehicle so I gotta lay low for awhile. :confused:

Samir likes this.
  3. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

These look perfect for the 1U storage server I'm building (paying per U).

But in actual fact I think I'd rather buy twice as many 8 TB HDD's for half the cost, because this would be more manageable, and give me more disks to experiment with this multimedia asset management system I'm designing.

Nevertheless I'm going to order some of these 16 TB HDD's, but CDW doesn't look like it accepts non-US addresses for shipping or billing :-(

4. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

I pulled the data sheet for these drives and I am having difficulty understand the IOPS; it's only listing as
    Random Read/Write 4K QD16 WCD (IOPS) 170/440.

What does the 170/440 indicate?

Samir likes this.
  5. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

CDW has separate entities for other countries so the USA outlet isn't likely to ship international unfortunately.

Its the number of input/output operations per second it doesn't have a speed notation as its a per item calculation.
    Not sure whats not to understand.
    The datasheet also lists Max. Sustained Transfer Rate OD (MB/s,MiB/s) (261, 249) which is likely the number you were looking for in terms of speed.

Samir likes this.
  6. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

Thanks for responding. To be frank, IOPS are still new to me. And trying to read what's communicated is not uniform when going from site to site. For example, when I bought NVMe drives, specs were listed like:

4KB Random Read
    QD32: Up to 500,000 IOPS
    QD1: Up to 15,000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write
    QD32: Up to 480,000 IOPS
    QD1: Up to 50,000 IOPS

So I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the numbers provided by Seagate's datasheet

Samir likes this.
  7. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Fair enough didn’t mean to sound condescending, the iops are accurate, most hdd are around 150-200 iops.

Comparing hdd to ssd in iops terms are very different due to their physical properties.

Samir likes this.
  8. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

No worries. I don't read much into text as there'e no meaning behind it... unless it's in all caps - then the gloves are off! :)

Considering these drives would just be my mass storage for media storage and playback, I don't think I'd have much concern for what little "stress" I'd put on them.

Samir likes this.
  9. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

I may have liberated a few from CDW :)

Samir likes this.
  10. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

HDD are still king for the cost/size ratio (at least for now) especially for media storage and playback I look forward a day where there are only SSD and reasonably priced for gigantic sized.
    A regular HDD by itself should be able to run multiple 4k streams with good supporting hardware.

COME AT ME BRO! :p

frogtech and Samir like this.
  11. Samir

Samir Active Member

Good to see someone getting some use out the deal as I couldn't.

But it's still showing all of them as in stock, so call in and check your order if you've ordered them. Usually once I place an order and check the outlet items again they no longer show in stock.

12. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

I wonder if this is one of those situations where, if I don't jump on it right now, combined with knowing that I'm currently building a dense file server mounted in a 1U chassis with 4x LFF front-loading, hot-swappable drive bays, that I will regret passing up on this...

13. Samir

Samir Active Member

Well, there's always new stuff coming into the outlet so you might not miss out on it. But that being said, it's usually stuff with different specs (12TB SATA, not SAS, or 10TB, etc), so if this nails the head on what you need, I'd jump on it--you can always return them if they're not what you need. :)

14. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

This is what I keep telling myself. There is always new, cool hardware arriving on the scene.

This really nails it on the head. I would prefer SAS and I am currently in the market for some nice SAS HDD's at half the price at half the price. I expect this capacity to get me by for a while, so that's the preferred option right now.

Thanks for helping me put this in context!

Samir likes this.
  15. posternutbag

posternutbag Member

There are a few that made it down to $317.99. Go get 'em.

Start popping them into this, nerds!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Samir likes this.
  16. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

I love how it's called SuperChas, as though it's a school jock or bro DAS that picks on the smaller 12-bay, 2U DAS'es after school.

Personally 2U is the sweet spot for me because I'm doing most of this work myself and anything larger is unwieldy.

Samir likes this.
  17. posternutbag

posternutbag Member

Thanks, fixed
    Do you even lift, bro?!

Samir likes this.
  18. Samir

Samir Active Member

That's crazy! I didn't even see that chassis. :eek:

So there were originally 10 drives available at ~$320/ea, the chassis at ~$1400 (because I feel it's got another drop in it), cables for existing hbas and a freenas setup for a 160TB of SAS warrantied for 5 years raw storage for under $5k with expandability to 704TB with 16TB drives. :eek:

19. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

Well this was infuriating. I only had one available out of the 4 I attempted to buy. This is unreal. All 4 were shown as available when I bought them. On Monday, I get an invoice saying "sorry, we only had 1 for ya." Customer service couldn't find any online for me, either. This is a terrible process they have for purchasing drives. So that one is going back.

20. Samir

Samir Active Member

That's the outlet for you. It's why I always call and check the inventory by phone and place the order that way. Plus, I think there were more people that jumped on this than there were drives. If you send that drive back, it will end up in the outlet again, so I guess anyone still needing a drive can take yours.