159$ US 'new' Quanta D51B-1U LGA2011-3 Server Best Offer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hmmm...I suspect you having the larger power supplies is what makes it work in a dual config.
Could be. When I first got the server I updated the BIOS and BMC. It started out with 2 E5 2620v3,s. I later upgraded it to E5 2650v4's. The update was no problem at all. The 2650's run a little cooler than the 2620's did. Since I stumbled upon the ipmi commands to slow the fans down it become my favorite server. Cooling is more than adequate with the fans set to the lowest speed. Whoever decided to use double 80mm fans in this thing is an idiot. at standard speed they go wah wah wah wah at a frequency that goes right through walls. At the lowest speed you can barely here them at all and they don't go wah wah wah.

Reactions: Samir

Syndroma

Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone installed dual V4 CPUs in this? I'm having issues with the server not even powering on when 2 V4 CPUs are installed.
To support dual v4 you need to install the CPLD update:

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
To support dual v4 you need to install the CPLD update:
This is just the B04 BIOS. I've tried both B04 and B22 BIOS. The latter of which is much newer. Neither works when dual V4 CPUs are installed.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is just the B04 BIOS. I've tried both B04 and B22 BIOS. The latter of which is much newer. Neither works when dual V4 CPUs are installed.
I would get a set of the larger power supplies and see if that does the trick.

Nov 25, 2023
Not sure if this is the place to ask but I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the 2.5" bays above the 3.5" bays on the 3.5" model.

I don't have the server on hand anymore (it's colocated) and I wanted to add some 2.5" SSDs. I don't think the slots are connected to the backplane but there are a few sata ports in the middle of the motherboard but how am I supposed to power them? I see theres a few power ports near the right side under the PSU, but I don't have (and can't find) a high quality picture of that area. Explaining this to the datacenter techs is going to be problematic. Any help is appreciated!

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Not sure if this is the place to ask but I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the 2.5" bays above the 3.5" bays on the 3.5" model.

I don't have the server on hand anymore (it's colocated) and I wanted to add some 2.5" SSDs. I don't think the slots are connected to the backplane but there are a few sata ports in the middle of the motherboard but how am I supposed to power them? I see theres a few power ports near the right side under the PSU, but I don't have (and can't find) a high quality picture of that area. Explaining this to the datacenter techs is going to be problematic. Any help is appreciated!
Do you know the exact model of your server is?
Some of them support the drives above but others will not have the cables to do it but to keep costs down they still have the features there just missing the cables normally. You might have to have the data center bring the cables up and see if you can also find power. I can't remember we had some that supported it and others that did not.

Nov 25, 2023
Its the 4x 3.5" D51B-1U model. It has the 2.5" bays above the 3.5" bays (the manual says SSD tray). I'm pretty sure the techs can run a sata cable to the middle of the motherboard (not sure how this will work with the raid controller, though) but my issue is that I don't know where power is. I see there's some power connections on the right side of the motherboard but I can't make out any of the writing on it because I don't have the server at home anymore and pictures online are low quality. What I'd like to do is move my SSD out from the 3.5" bay into the 2.5" trays (I'm currently using a 3.5" adapter for 2.5" drives).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Its the 4x 3.5" D51B-1U model. It has the 2.5" bays above the 3.5" bays (the manual says SSD tray). I'm pretty sure the techs can run a sata cable to the middle of the motherboard (not sure how this will work with the raid controller, though) but my issue is that I don't know where power is. I see there's some power connections on the right side of the motherboard but I can't make out any of the writing on it because I don't have the server at home anymore and pictures online are low quality. What I'd like to do is move my SSD out from the 3.5" bay into the 2.5" trays (I'm currently using a 3.5" adapter for 2.5" drives).
I added a cooling fan to my 3008 and tapped into one of the unused 8 pin pugs. Used a meter to find 12v.

Nov 25, 2023
I was hoping that it might be as easy as just plugging something in and it just working. It's a bit difficult because I have to work with the datacenter techs and I don't believe they provide services to start using meters on random parts of the motherboard. Not only that, I have to pay for their time and it gets very expensive. Running a cable or two I can afford, but they charge by the hour even if they don't use up the full hour. What kind of cable would work from the 8-pin? Any 8-pin to sata?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I believe I used a 4 pin connector that plugged into half of the 8 pin then hard wired the fan to the leads. Ghetto tech to be sure but it works.